Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezerotwilight
Dawn to Dusk
Male

Loc: Florida
Snow White
    #5932552 - 08/04/06 07:56 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hey all. This is actually my first post on the Shroomery, despite my 4+ years of browsing :P I've recently taken a serious approach with Mycology and mushroom hunting.

Anyways- I have found some nice looking Boletes near the bay. I have searched around the net and cannot find anything that resemble these specimen.

Habitat = 1/4 mile Off the Gulf of Mexico (Florida Panhandle) , Growing with a seemingly symbiotic relationship with White Pines/ and or Live Oak Tree's

Characteristics = Pure White all around, older specimens sponge pores seem to turn a light brown with age. (as seen in one of the cross-section pics)

Spore Print= Light Brown

-No apparent bruising-

Scent= Very pleasant smell, reminds me of a typical Agaricus Bisporus (common store mushroom)

Notes :: In a single spot in the woods about 1 meter from a lake off the bay . Encompassing a radius of also about 1 meter that the Mushrooms are found. Growing usually by themselves, <-4 or 5 in that area- , it is not uncommon that younger species (3 seen at most) of this type may sprout up beside an adult .

Thanks for the help,
aust

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
Re: Snow White [Re: zerotwilight]
    #5932575 - 08/04/06 08:06 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Nice pics and welcome to your first post! Not sure what kind of bolete that is, try taking some pics in a well lit area and turn your flash off. That will help us see the pores and stem color better.

Offlinezerotwilight
Dawn to Dusk
Male

Re: Snow White [Re: xmush]
    #5932624 - 08/04/06 08:27 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hey thanks man, yeah it just rained and was practically dark out at the time and I wanted to keep the mushrooms in their natural environment.

I'll go check tomorrow and see if any are still around in that spot.

Damn. I've been searching around all night on the net and cannot find anything remotely similar to these.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #5932729 - 08/04/06 08:56 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hmmm, that's weird... I wonder why some boletes have a butt crack. Okay okay, well... just look at this pic:

* http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5891504#Post5891504 *

Quote:

psiclops said:
Yeah, I've seen those too. They always look like there is a string tied around the middle of the cap.

I had no idea they were edible. I still would eat them, though.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #5932928 - 08/04/06 09:49 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

If you want to know what they are, collect some and bring them home. That way you can answer questions about them.

I have 2 questions we need to know the answers to to get started.

Look very closely at the surface of the stem. Does it have a net-like pattern on it (which may be only at the top of the stem)? Does it have tiny dark dots? Is there a ring? Are there scabers (sort of like very coarse hairs)?

Scratch the surface of the tubes with your fingernail. Does it change color (not just get darker)? If so, what color?

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Snow White [Re: ToxicMan]
    #5932938 - 08/04/06 09:53 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Netting.

*from member: Pauvro*

--------------------

Offlinezerotwilight
Dawn to Dusk
Male

Re: Snow White [Re: CureCat]
    #5933009 - 08/04/06 10:17 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

wow nice example Curecat.

but no , there is no apparent "netting" on the stem.

More like a ()()()()() Pattern.
()()()()
()()()

Defiantly no ring -> and a scratch on the tubular spore surface does not bruise any color. If anything ,it becomes a shade darker that is barely noticeable . Also , No scabers (course hairs).

Hope that info helps ? :/

Edited by zerotwilight (08/04/06 10:18 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #5933919 - 08/05/06 08:32 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Your info is very helpful.

When you describe the pattern on the stem as being like "()()()()()", is this formed by tiny ridges?

Try feeling the surface of the cap. Is it slimy or sticky? If it's dry, try wetting your fingertip with a drop of water and rubbing the cap surface.

If possible, use a magnifier to look very closely at the surface of the cap. Is it smooth, or is it made up of tiny hairs (like velvet, for example)? The hairs might not actually be all that tiny.

Finally, take a tiny piece from the edge of the cap and taste it (be sure to spit it out). Is it bitter or peppery?

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale