Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Found lots of dogs-dick mushrooms
    #593068 - 03/29/02 05:22 PM (22 years, 4 days ago)

I went for a walk this morning down to the local gardens. I didn't expect to find anything because I thought it was too cold and wet, but I went anyway.

To my surprise I found lots of those fungus that look like an erect dogs penis. Excuse the crudeity, but that really is the best way to describe them. Something-a-rather-StinkHorn is what they're called, MJShroomer posted a picture of them in the 'Mushroom Pictures' forum a while back.

I also found some unidentified LBMs. These and the StinkHorns where all growing out of the wood/leaf/bark mulch that was used in the gardens.

Although I didn't find any evidence of them, is it possible that I could find some Psilocybes there too? Possibly Psilocybe subaeruginosa? I took the presence of other fungi to be a good sign - but maybe the complete absence of any Psilocybes is actually a bad sign...? Maybe it was too cold and wet for Psilocybes...???

Any advice?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagicRooms
Hunter & Collector
Male

Loc: Australia
Re: Found lots of dogs-dick mushrooms [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #593079 - 03/29/02 05:34 PM (22 years, 4 days ago)

I find more Psilocybe species in fern gulleys and rain forests in cool to cold weather, but when the frost begins the shrooms disappear. I am sure every region has its own peak in the growing season.

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Found lots of dogs-dick mushrooms [Re: MagicRooms]
    #593106 - 03/29/02 06:04 PM (22 years, 4 days ago)

Well the weather down here has been going nuts. Just a few days ago it was over 30 degrees (celsius), dry and hadn't rained in weeks. Now it's cold, frosty and has been pissing down for the last day or so. I don't even know where to start. I need a mix of the two extremes! Hopefully it will warm up a bit again. :smile:

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo (03/29/02 06:05 PM)

Invisiblebaldhead
Stranger
    #593113 - 03/29/02 06:12 PM (22 years, 4 days ago)

hmmmm....i thought you found some "pecker-heads" or "dog-peckers", as some folks call them....i was hoping that you had found someting possibly edible...like the half-free morel (morchella semilibera) which in my opinion is only a mediocre edible....but it definitely portends other morels in the near future in the same general area!!!
maybe you could describe the coloration of your fungus?
since you did claim it was found in bark/mulch....i would assume you were right about the possibility of it being a stinkhorn....which, depending on the species, can be a rarity and a gem....even if they smell like fly-food!
really tho, this time of year what you found was likely to be morchella,verpa, or gyromitra(or some sub-genus of these....) do some research on morels....look for "early morels" or "false morels"
anyway, as for the bluing guys....
i would think that, depending on where you are, you might be looking in the right place....many lignicolus species will quickly and readily colonized mulch/wood chipsin landscaping -and are often rare in the wild....
good luck, good find
peace

--------------------
i was not born.
i germinated.
monokaryotic is the way to go!

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Found lots of dogs-dick mushrooms [Re: baldhead]
    #593236 - 03/29/02 10:15 PM (22 years, 4 days ago)

These definately were not edible...well maybe they're not actually poison - I don't know - but you'd have to be completely crazy to eat one of these things. They sure as shit look poison. I couldn't smell anything, I'm sure the rain masked the reputedly pungent smell.

They were pink and slimey, just like a dogs dick (not that I know much about dog's dicks...in fact, that's about the extent of it). There was some brown goey stuff around the knob and there were flies hanging around the knobs even though it was raining. I'm not sure if these are a rarity or not, but they weren't very rare where I was looking - I spotted somewhere between twenty and thirty and I wasn't even looking for them.

Invisiblebaldhead
Stranger
    #594877 - 03/31/02 07:36 PM (22 years, 2 days ago)

right-right.
well, somuch for that....they seem eerily neato when they are fresh and emerging....altough i wonder what your climate is like at this time of year?
i guess i assumed some seasonal bias...sorry
ive just been lookin fer peckerheads myself and decided to say hi....
do you have reputable field guides? stamets "psilocybin mushrooms of the world"
is quite an excellent and thorough guide-check it out....
peace

--------------------
i was not born.
i germinated.
monokaryotic is the way to go!

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Found lots of dogs-dick mushrooms [Re: baldhead]
    #595098 - 04/01/02 12:35 AM (22 years, 2 days ago)

This time of year our climate is warm and wet. Average around 25 degrees celsius - although this year it's been paticularily hot and dry. Just a couple of weeks ago it was over 35 degrees. We're going into winter so it's starting to cool off a bit.

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #595712 - 04/01/02 04:38 PM (22 years, 1 day ago)

There's no picture, so...I'm not trying to offend your intelligence or anything, but since you say there's some black, gooey stuff on the top, I'm wondering if they could be some sort of Coprinous species such as the Shaggy Mane or Inky Cap? I've seen lots of Inky Caps in the spring in the PNW and I realize you live down under. So, what season is it there?
Also, I'd like to add the possibility of this species being a Gyromitrin or Helvellan. Just adding the possibility though.
Nevertheless, good luck finding your magic. I can't remember exactly where you've said you live, but aren't there many, many wood-loving Psilocybes in Aussie? How about Cyans and those most-awesome Ps. eucalyptus, as well as many, many others?
Stay cool!-Levi7

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Found lots of dogs-dick mushrooms [Re: Levi7]
    #595748 - 04/01/02 05:34 PM (22 years, 1 day ago)

You're not insulting my intelligence! I wouldn't have a f'n clue what they are! Geez, I'm not that precious! :wink:

All I'm saying is it looks like some sort of long, pink penis. It had some sore of brown stuff around the "cap" (i.e "knob") that seemed to attract flies. They grew in small clumps of up to four, often by themselves. The habitat was garden wood mulch, the weather was wet after many hot days. The "stems" were hollow (some were broken) and the same color throughout. They didn't stain any color. Some of the "dead" ones kind of looked deflated or something. There was no other type of fungi in the area.

If anyone's really interested, I could get some pictures for you.

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #595825 - 04/01/02 07:20 PM (22 years, 1 day ago)

Sure, I'm interested in seeing the mushrooms, if you get some pics.
I just didn't want to offend you by mentioning the possibility of the mushrooms being Gymromitrin or Helvellan or even Coprinous. I was thinking that you may have already considered it.
Stay cool!-Levi7.

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Found lots of dogs-dick mushrooms [Re: Levi7]
    #596107 - 04/02/02 01:39 AM (22 years, 1 day ago)

Hehe. :smile: Dude, I don't even know how to pronounce those three big long latin words, let alone considered what genus my dogs-dick mushrooms belong to!

I'll post pictures soon and let you figure it out. :wink:

:laugh:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract