Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewiggles
Miffed a Milf
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Respiration
    #5925165 - 08/02/06 11:53 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Out of curiousity, what gasses are actually used by cubes to respirate? I know that FAE is incredibly important, but which gas is it that they crave? Is it N2 or O2? Also, when they respirate, what gas do they expel? Is it heavier or lighter than normal air?

I'm considering setting up a semi-a8utomated terratium, and I need to know where to put an exhaust port, so I was considering this a bit this morning. Anyone?

--------------------

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Hunter S. Thompson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecappa
Nerd
Re: Respiration [Re: wiggles]
    #5925240 - 08/02/06 12:18 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

It's been mentioned on this board that they absorb O2 and release CO2.
I cannot verify this personally, but it seems to be the consensus.

CO2 is heavier than most of the common gases in our atmosphere.

FAE vents are commonly used at the level right above the top surface of your casing layer.

--------------------
Their are 10 types of people. Those that understand binary, and those who don't.
~Cappa.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Respiration [Re: cappa]
    #5925313 - 08/02/06 12:42 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

technicly that take in all the gasses

OfflineSinthetic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Respiration [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #5925326 - 08/02/06 12:46 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

You want the exhaust as low as possible. If you're going to have automated humidity you want the exhaust all the way down. And don't forget that you might need a drain.

Offlinewiggles
Miffed a Milf
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Respiration [Re: Sinthetic]
    #5925431 - 08/02/06 01:24 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm, alright. Should I make 2 seperate exhausts then? Or should I just make one larger one? My goal is to keep a positive pressure inside by making the exhaust rather small.

--------------------

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Hunter S. Thompson

Offlinewiggles
Miffed a Milf
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #5925636 - 08/02/06 02:32 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Also, the major reason for my posting was I was hoping to figure out if it'd be possible to have a slow release of gasses that would aid in the growth of the fungi. For instance, when growing cannabis many people use CO2 tanks to help make sure that their plants have plenty to breathe. I was thinking it would be neat if something similar could be done with mush.

--------------------

Hunter S. Thompson

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #5925645 - 08/02/06 02:34 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Massive air exchange is what you want for a fruiting chamber. By the time fruiting comes, CO2 production has fallen off dramatically. You want large amounts of air exchange in order to prevent contaminants such as cobweb which thrive in stale, still air. Have several vents both top and bottom in a FC, so you can get circulation as well as intake and exhaust. Positive pressure is not necessary. A FC by nature isn't sterile, nor does it need to be. Just keep the humidity up.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck