Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWindowz5k
Stranger
Advice
    #5920257 - 07/31/06 10:30 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

hello All,

A couple of months ago i really got into the idea of growing my own shrooms.  I bought everything i needed to do so, and read as much as possible. I spent a lot of time studying anything i could find on the subject.  I made the two Tupperware tub incubator and decided to go with the bulk neglect method.  I read so much that i thought i would be able to do it without incident but it turns out i should have started small and worked my way up to growing bulk.

So thats were i am now, i want to start from the bottom up working with cakes first then gradually getting up to some higher yielding methods.  I plan on using WBS and the incubator from before.  I'm thinking about using the poor mans terrarium.  Is there anyone in here who has some advice for a beginner. 

Also, I had wide mouth jars and i couldn't get the cake out....any methods, those things are a bitch. :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFrappy
Strange

Loc: South Florida
Re: Advice [Re: Windowz5k]
    #5920283 - 07/31/06 10:38 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Start with the PF tek. After your first success, learn how to do casings. You'll get a much better yeild and you'll be able to provide better nutrients for the mushrooms, yeilding more potent mushrooms as well. Don't get ahead of yourself though. Learn as you go. And learn from your mistakes, everybody has contamination issues at some point.

If you can't get the cake out of the jar, you could break it apart and add it to casing mix. Read up on the teks thouroughly and you'll be a pro. Good luck!

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Advice [Re: Frappy]
    #5920724 - 08/01/06 01:05 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

> turns out i should have started small and worked my way up to growing bulk.

Many, many people find this out the hard way. Most don't even have the honesty to admit it. But, as long as you repent you shall be saved!

> I plan on using WBS

Nope. Go with the PF tek. This will teach you the ropes and will produce plenty for you and your friends for awhile. WBS is not a good grain to start with. Rye is much better, but for your first round you really need to go with the PF tek BRF/verm mix.

> I'm thinking about using the poor mans terrarium.

A perlite layer on the bottom of a regular plastic tub with a light on top is the best AND easiest way to make a fruiting chamber.

> i couldn't get the cake out....any methods,

Smack it down semi-hard on a table or your hand. For tough ones hit it on a tire.

One round with the PF tek will teach you as much as all the reading you'll ever do on the subject. Also learn about LCs and taking prints. That will give you all the tools you need to do a bulk grow on your 2nd (or rather 3rd attempted) round.

-Another soul saved by FF.

Offlinedot_com_unist
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Advice [Re: fastfred]
    #5921173 - 08/01/06 06:35 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I agree with FF Go with the PF TEK don't use the WBS go with BRF or for better potency RYE. You will get plenty of shroomys to last you until you get the hang of it and move on to bigger and "?better?" things. This was my first time also I did the PF with BRF and just started getting my first pins I have about eight healthy ones that are coming up fast and about four more that I think will prob. abort. but still better yields that I thought I would get per cake. Good Luck.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Advice [Re: dot_com_unist]
    #5921174 - 08/01/06 06:41 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Check out this video. It covers PF tek and rye pretty well...

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=3286686859329905674&q=mushroom+growing

Note: This is not a direct link to a copyrighted video. It's a link to a search engine that has indexed this video. It should pop right up though.

OfflineCapless
Student
 User Gallery

Re: Advice [Re: fastfred]
    #5921201 - 08/01/06 07:25 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Fastfred I do not agree with you. Wild Bird Seed is fine for the starter as long as they know how to prep it. I found no problem in skipping the PF-Tek, insted going right to WBS.

--------------------
http://www.toolband.com/
"... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember, We are eternal.
all this pain is an illusion...."

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: Advice [Re: Capless]
    #5921207 - 08/01/06 07:31 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

the only advice i have is keep everything clean or you will have contam issues.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Advice [Re: Capless]
    #5921217 - 08/01/06 07:44 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

PF tek is simpler and therefore easier to learn, there is less chance for contams, and it has a higher success rate. That makes it very good to start with.

Plenty of people can skip it or make any number of modifications with good success, but that's only some people. Most people will benefit from learning the easy way first.

Another thing you should realize is that people in different areas have different problems. In my area you simply can't use WBS. I will flat out say that it's impossible to get good results from it where I live. The mean green is very strong here and it just doesn't work. Rye works fine though.

My location has colored my opinion of WBS as a substrate, I'm sure that some people get great results. There may even be someplace where WBS works great and rye doesn't.

I'd just hate to see someone fail when they could have done it an easier way with good success.

-FF

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder