Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
*Attention* Users with 0 posts
    #591433 - 03/27/02 10:25 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Okay, I remember reading a post from Thor once that said they clean out inactive users every so often. Now, I dont know exactly how this is done but I can tell you this:

There is a little less than 205 pages of users with 0 posts. There are 25 users listed per page so a little less than 2625 users with 0 posts. The thing is that most of these members registered in 2001 or early 2002.

It doesnt really bother me. Just telling ya.

Yes, i'm that boared.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator

Re: *Attention* Users with 0 posts [Re: phrozendata]
    #591583 - 03/28/02 02:30 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Im so bored Im gonna correct the way you spelled bored. Good day, And I agree with you I tried to look through the users list and it was WAY to big but lots were unused.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Anonymous

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: phrozendata]
    #594118 - 03/30/02 10:54 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: *Attention* Users with 0 posts [Re: ]
    #598098 - 04/03/02 11:00 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I've quit posting for more than six months before. If I came back and found my account deleted I'd be heartbroken. Not to mention if someone were actually impersonating me.

Maybe the accounts could be deleted, but held so that others can't take the username?

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Post deleted by Anno [Re: mycofile]
    #598543 - 04/04/02 11:15 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: *Attention* Users with 0 posts [Re: ]
    #599110 - 04/04/02 10:16 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Thor, 3D, Anno:

Look, I really dont want to push any buttons and I hope none of you take this negetivly. Can one of you please address this issue. I'm sorry, but i'm kind of sick of *all* the posts that dont get recoginized by atleast one of you guys here. I know it may be tough to get through them all but you guys are the adminstrators, you're the only people who can do something about issues like this, and I really think we need to know that atleast one of you have given out suggestion even a fraction of a thought. I noticed that a lot of the nicks were OVER 6 months old with ZERO posts. Look, i'm not saying to delete inactive users but get rid of the fuckers that have zero posts. They are just taking up nicknames that I have no doubt others would try to get. I noticed that a lot of nicknames were similar looking to some users here. They were either to impersanate them or they registered it so others couldn't impersonate them.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not

Offline3DSHROOM
loon
Male

#599154 - 04/04/02 11:30 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I give all suggestions a thought, I just don't always post. I would like to keep all the members we currently have. I have already deleted all members whith zero posts who have never logged on since going to the first version of WWWThreads.

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood loon

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #599242 - 04/05/02 02:20 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

We read these posts, just because we don't reply doesn't mean we haven't read them.

Like this particular thread is redundant, we have been aware of this for a long time, way before you posted and we always clean out the user database once in a while.

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: *Attention* Users with 0 posts [Re: Thor]
    #600329 - 04/06/02 03:55 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Thor, I know that, dont treat me like i'm stupid.

Look, we NEED to know that you've seen them. A simple reply is all we ask.

--------------------

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #600345 - 04/06/02 04:34 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

We try man, its not easy to keep up with every post...

I've personally made it a point to respond more in this forum, I thought I wrote a response to this thread shortly after you posted this, but I guess maybe my browser crashed or something.... I'm so certain I responded to you, but obviously I didn't.
Don't forget we volunteer our time, its pretty easy to neglect a forum or two, even ones meant for us admins. I have over 1700 PM's, a daily influx of emails, and I'm often occupied with lots of things/issues/problems I need to take care of on a daily basis on the boards...

We do our best to keep up with this forum, obviously we are not perfect, but there is no need to be mad at us for it. Sometimes we don't answer a thread just to see what other users have to say first.

OfflineKrendle
veteran
    #600722 - 04/06/02 05:26 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

pd, relax man. He's not treating you like you're stupid, he's just telling it like it is. It takes a good couple minutes to reply to a post, even if its just a "mhmm, good thought" kind of answer. When you're replying to every post/thread in a forum, that adds up.

Obviously its frustrating to feel like you're being ignored, but you're not. They're always paying attention, as you can see by their responses to you.

It's easy to rag on the admins for not being available 24/7, but they've done a better job of listening than most people have/would. Try to keep that in mind, eh?

--------------------
First person to PM me with a truly witty sig gets to see their words at the bottom of my posts :wink:

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Re: *Attention* Users with 0 posts [Re: mycofile]
    #601947 - 04/08/02 06:39 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

"I've quit posting for more than six months before. If I came back and found my account deleted I'd be heartbroken. Not to mention if someone were actually impersonating me."

No doubt...mycofile

What if someone was sent to jail and lost their nikname...due to being locked up for a long period of time. << just an example.
Wouldn't be fair to the member to take their name away.
We might not even know they had been arrested....not everyone makes bail.

As far as people who register and have 0 posts.
maybe we could email them and warn them first ?
Also maybe holding a nikname for a period of 1 year....if we can't contact them?
Due to email that is undeliverable.
I would be willing to spend some of my time doing so.

As far as sock puppets....ban them.
There are quite a few...and they are very obvious.

Just my 2 cents.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineKrendle
veteran
Re: *Attention* Users with 0 posts [Re: Roadkill]
    #602367 - 04/08/02 04:15 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Not much point banning sock puppets, too easy to just make another. It would be like a dog chasing its tail. IMNSHO you should say what you mean and mean what you say, and not be afraid to have your name/handle attached to it--not a lot that can be done about those who feel otherwise though.

--------------------
First person to PM me with a truly witty sig gets to see their words at the bottom of my posts :wink:

Offlinemrfreedom
journeyman
Male
    #604500 - 04/10/02 03:59 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Sure glad Thor didn't start deleting names; I have been gone for some time.
If the member search is such a pain in the ass, it is easy to add a script to make it searchable by particular parameters. Such as, alphabetical choices, you choose which letter you wich to search, by date registered (for all of you with nothing better to do, you can feed us statistics on who hasn't been here lately) or search by the date of the last post.

Just because someone dosen't turbo post to your liking is NO reason to delete the user name.

I do like the idea of an automated email response system; that would enable you to weed out those that are no longer available, without punishing someone who just doesn't have anything to say.

OfflineKrendle
veteran
Re: *Attention* Users with 0 posts [Re: mrfreedom]
    #604982 - 04/11/02 02:57 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Posting at least once or twice in a year isn't exactly "turbo posting," and that's about all it would take to avoid deletion. :smile:

Besides, say you were a once or twice a year poster....you're obviously not too attached to your post count (which is not a bad thing :smile: ). I *really* doubt that a person like that would have too many pm's saved. Those are really the only two things you would lose permenantly, you could always re-register a handle.

There may be exceptions to the pm bit, but if the script was done so that a warning email was sent beforehand with a grace period of like a week or so for the user to respond, I can't see how anyone could fall through the cracks. Or, better yet, if the script was based on the time of the user's last login then the silent types wouldn't be targeted at all so long as they stop in now and then.

Users who are going to be gone for a lengthy period could contact an admin & ask to be exempted from the script. I can't imagine that would be a difficult thing to include in it, just a list of usernames that it should ignore.

Te only real downfall i can see would be if someone was busted & went upstate without getting word to an admin, or if the user wasn't aware of the deletion process & left for a long stretch. 

--------------------

Offlinemrfreedom
journeyman
Male
    #605926 - 04/12/02 12:02 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Krendle, you are quite correct, posting once or twice a year is NOT turbo posting.

Yet you, and others, insist that a name is nothing more than a way to keep track of post numbers. As if that, is the end all and be all, of the value of membership in a community. This assumption, over the last year or so, has encouraged newbies to post endless numbers of drivel just to put up impressive post numbers.
If I need to save a pm, I put it on my hard drive, web boards are NOT storage lockers.

And, NO, my number of posts does not matter to me. What matters to me is the name I have made for myself, perhaps not on this board, but on others most certainly. I would be horribly distraught if someone from another board found someone posting under the handle Mr. Freedom and assumed that to be me.
My name is what is to be respected, assuming that I have earned that respect, not the number of posts that I have or have not made.

A high number of posts, each of them FILLED with, blatantly irrelevant stupidity are not signs of intellegence, caring, helpfullness nor RESPECT. They are what they are "BLATANTLY IRRELEVANT STUPIDITY".

The assertion that numbers of posts relate to respect is absurd. The fact that we may have over 2000 registered members without a single post is irrelevant. Whether they wish to communicate on this board or not is THIER decission, not ours; as to whether the admin should or should not, do something about this, is also irrelevant. The admin does with their time, what they can do , in the best interest of this board. I, if I were an admi (god forbid), would simply reset all post numbers back to zero every new year. I am curious as to how this would affect boards inundated with turbo posters.

It was suggested that names without posts be deleted; not for space saving reasons, but, so that OTHERS may use that nick name.
This is REPREHENSIBLE to me. To use another nick name just because it is cool or because that member hasn't been around for a while is PLAY GROUND CRAP.

I see this as just another reason that children should be seen and NOT head.

This post(reply) should not be thought of as an attack on ANYONES character; I certainly don't intend it that way, but I will leave your feelings to you, I have no control over them.

As to the question of wheter admin should do anything about registered members without posts; of course not, why should they. If the admin wants to save space there are many other and better areas to get it from.

Thank you,
and, have a GREAT DAY.

OfflineKrendle
veteran
Re: *Attention* Users with 0 posts [Re: mrfreedom]
    #608621 - 04/15/02 01:10 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Dude...what?

My point was that if an account got deleted all that's gone are any pm's and the post count. Post counts are worthless, I was never saying they were important...some people think they are and would be bothered if they lost them, however.

And as far as all that name for yourself business, well posting at a rate of once or twice a year I can't imagine you've built yourself much of a reputation.

If someone isn't using their registered name, I see no particular reason to hang onto it for them (other than what I listed above). Using, remember, is as simple as logging in...none of that offensive posting required! :smile: 

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds