Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

Michael Moore Owned Halliburton, Defense Stocks
    #5894667 - 07/24/06 03:19 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Michael Moore Owned Halliburton, Defense Stocks
Jim Meyers
Friday, Nov. 4, 2005

Filmmaker Michael Moore has made a career out of trashing corporations and said he doesn't own any stocks due to moral principle.

How then did author Peter Schweizer uncover IRS documents showing that Moore's very own foundation has bought stocks in some of America's largest corporations – including Halliburton, other defense contractors and some of the same companies he has attacked?

In his blockbuster new book "Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy," Hoover Fellow Schweizer reveals the glaring contradictions between the public stances and real-life behavior of prominent liberals including Al Franken, Ralph Nader, Ted Kennedy, Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi. [Editor's Note: NewsMax has a free offer for "Do As I Say" – Go Here Now.]

But he reserves some of his sharpest barbs for Moore.

In his first documentary "Roger & Me," Moore skewered General Motors, Schweizer points out.

In "The Big One," he went after Nike and PayDay candy bars.

"Bowling for Columbine" was an attack on the American gun industry.

Oil companies played a major role in "Fahrenheit 911."

His upcoming film "Sicko" pillories drug companies and HMOs.

On his television shows "TV Nation" and "The Awful Truth," he criticized HMOs and defense contractors.

He once said that major defense contractor Halliburton was run by a bunch of "thugs," and suggested that for every American killed in the Iraq war, "I would like Halliburton to slay one mid-level executive."

Publicly, Moore has claimed he wants no part of these companies and won't own stock.

In his book "Stupid White Men," he wrote: "I don't own a single share of stock."

He repeated the claim in a 1997 letter to the online magazine Salon, saying: "I don't own any stock."

Privately, however, he tells the IRS a different story, Schweizer discloses in his book.

The year that Moore claimed in "Stupid White Men" that he didn't own any stock, he told the IRS that a foundation totally controlled by Moore and his wife had more than $280,000 in corporate stock and nearly $100,000 in corporate bonds.

Over the past five years, Moore's holdings have "included such evil pharmaceutical and medical companies as Pfizer, Merck, Genzyme, Elan PLC, Eli Lilly, Becton Dickinson and Boston Scientific," writes Schweizer, whose earlier works include "The Bushes" and "Reagan's War."

"Moore's supposedly nonexistent portfolio also includes big bad energy giants like Sunoco, Noble Energy, Schlumberger, Williams Companies, Transocean Sedco Forex and Anadarko, all firms that 'deplete irreplaceable fossil fuels in the name of profit' as he put it in ‘Dude, Where's My Country?'

"And in perhaps the ultimate irony, he also has owned shares in Halliburton. According to IRS filings, Moore sold Halliburton for a 15 percent profit and bought shares in Noble, Ford, General Electric (another defense contractor), AOL Time Warner (evil corporate media) and McDonald's.

"Also on Moore's investment menu: defense contractors Honeywell, Boeing and Loral."

Does Moore share the stock proceeds of his "foundation" with charitable causes, you might ask?

Schweizer found that "for a man who by 2002 had a net worth in eight figures, he gave away a modest $36,000 through the foundation, much of it to his friends in the film business or tony cultural organizations that later provided him with venues to promote his books and film."

Moore's hypocrisy doesn't end with his financial holdings.

He has criticized the journalism industry and Hollywood for their lack of African-Americans in prominent positions, and in 1998 he said he personally wanted to hire minorities "who come from the working class."

In "Stupid White Men," he proclaimed his plans to "hire only black people."

But when Schweizer checked the senior credits for Moore's latest film "Fahrenheit 911," he found that of the movie's 14 producers, three editors, production manager and production coordinator, all 19 were white. So were all three cameramen and the two people who did the original music.

On "Bowling for Columbine," 13 of the 14 producers were white, as were the two executives in charge of production, the cameramen, the film editor and the music composer.

His show "TV Nation" had 13 producers, four film editors and 10 writers – but not a single African-American among them.

And as for Moore's insistence on portraying himself as "working class" and an "average Joe," Schweizer recounts this anecdote:

"When Moore flew to London to visit people at the BBC or promote a film, he took the Concorde and stayed at the Ritz. But he also allegedly booked a room at a cheap hotel down the street where he could meet with journalists and pose as a ‘man of humble circumstances.'"

That's hypocrisy with a capital H!

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/11/3/150518.shtml

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRosettaStoned
Stranger

Loc: North America
Re: Michael Moore Owned Halliburton, Defense Stocks [Re: Luddite]
    #5895009 - 07/24/06 05:23 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

No one cares?

--------------------
"Government big enough to provide you with all you need is also big enough to take everything you have." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"Without stupid, faggy potheads we wouldn't have wars." - Zappa

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Michael Moore Owned Halliburton, Defense Stocks [Re: RosettaStoned]
    #5895092 - 07/24/06 05:49 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Well, it was kind've interesting several months ago, but you're right. The fat blowhard could own an opium den in Thailand and I wouldn't much care about that either

--------------------

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
    #5895406 - 07/24/06 07:38 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

dianne feinstein is one of the few people in san francisco who's been allowed to get a CCW permit. no surprises.

--------------------

Offlinemusicturkey
Mitakuye Oyasin
Male

Loc: MidWest
Re: Michael Moore Owned Halliburton, Defense Stocks [Re: wilshire]
    #5895793 - 07/24/06 09:05 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Well he's a hypocrite, BIG surprise!

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Michael Moore Owned Halliburton, Defense Stocks [Re: musicturkey]
    #5896043 - 07/24/06 09:56 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

this is really, really old. but yea, big surprise for a big guy.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

#5897008 - 07/25/06 02:50 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

After all the shit hit the fan with halliburton, were the stocks not even worth the paper they got printed on?

Maybe thats why moore got all irrate and started making crappy movies that trashed corporations.

:shrug:

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

Re: Michael Moore Owned Halliburton, Defense Stocks [Re: Schwip]
    #5905662 - 07/27/06 02:57 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

An interesting video about Michael Moore. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8re9dF-EyH8&eurl

Zawahri's opinion. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14054482/

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5908149 - 07/28/06 06:54 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I don't really understand the point here.

Does the fact that one not-very-talented film maker and author owned stocks in large corporations in some way resolve the moral question of owning corporate stocks?

I don't believe it does.

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
Re: Michael Moore Owned Halliburton, Defense Stocks [Re: OJK]
    #5908159 - 07/28/06 07:07 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

What is the "moral question" of being a shareholder?

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Michael Moore Owned Halliburton, Defense Stocks [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #5908426 - 07/28/06 09:38 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Well, I'm not familiar in detail with Moore's arguments, seeing as in my opinion he's a talentless hack, but I assume Moore argued that owning corporate stocks made one morally responsible for the actions of the corporation, hence, if one believes certain corporations act immorrally, one shouldn't trade in their stock.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Michael Moore Owned Halliburton, Defense Stocks [Re: OJK]
    #5908448 - 07/28/06 09:47 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Moore stated publicly that he owned no stocks. He got caught in another lie. Nothing more to it than that.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleLuddite
I watch Fox News
 User Gallery

Re: Michael Moore Owned Halliburton, Defense Stocks [Re: zappaisgod]
    #23962811 - 12/28/16 01:43 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The fat blowhard could own an opium den in Thailand and I wouldn't much care about that either

The dope fiends here want opium.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Re: Michael Moore Owned Halliburton, Defense Stocks [Re: Luddite] * 1
    #23962837 - 12/28/16 01:52 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

The tautologists here want redundancy.

Offlinehostileuniverse
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: Michael Moore Owned Halliburton, Defense Stocks [Re: Phred]
    #23964961 - 12/29/16 09:11 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Phred said:
Moore stated publicly that he owned no stocks. He got caught in another lie. Nothing more to it than that.

Phred

Typical progressive, always lying about shit, making the peons believe they are "on their side"

***and the sheeple keep eating this shit up :facepalm:

--------------------
http://www.countdowntotrump.com

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom