Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlined15b2
Stranger
Jars have colonized...what to do next?
    #5883610 - 07/21/06 03:32 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

So 2 of my jars have colonized 99%.i have a few q's
how long should i wait before birthing them?

i've read here that i should dunk and roll the cakes
so i just have to put them submersed in cold water for 12hrs and then
roll them in wet vermiculite?
what is cold shocking?isn't CS and dunk the same?

i also have to build a terrarium. i planed on using a rubbermaid container.do i have to put geolite on bottom or can i use vermiculite?
if i use a big container like 30liters, can this help that i don't have to vent the co2 so often...maybe once a day?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Jars have colonized...what to do next? [Re: d15b2]
    #5883618 - 07/21/06 03:45 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Offlinedot_com_unist
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Jars have colonized...what to do next? [Re: Anno]
    #5883716 - 07/21/06 06:16 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

wait a day or two after it looks like it is 110% colonized to make sure the center is done. Then just stick them in a container filled with bottled mineral water(you can use tap water but that is just what I do) put them in the fridge for at least 12 hrs.
I have never used nor seen geolite but perlite works well you can get it at

Offlined15b2
Stranger
Re: Jars have colonized...what to do next? [Re: dot_com_unist]
    #5883890 - 07/21/06 08:47 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

OK i have read more about cold shocking and there is a lot of debate wether it is necesary.i have another problem - in this summer heat i dont have a place to put my terrarium that is colder than 80-82 its basicly the same place they've been colonizing in.so i will benefit from coldshock becouse this will TRIGGEr fruiting right?i also plan on dunking/rolling.i know dunk is done in cold water.will this trigger the fruiting or do i have to CS.

and how much i minimum light time per day to trigger fruiting.and once
its initiated does it still need light.

thx

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Jars have colonized...what to do next? [Re: d15b2]
    #5883964 - 07/21/06 09:45 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

the reason we use cold water and refrigeration for dunking has nothing to do with cold shocking, its to keep bacteria from growing in the dunk water.  this is why people get confused.  you certainly should refrigerate during, and if you want to tell yourself "i'm cold shocking, this will help", knock yourself out! :smile:

80-82 is a fine fruiting temperature.  just the fact that your cakes are no longer confined to the jar and out in the air lowers their temp enough to trigger pinning.  temp drop is a bit of an over-rated pinning trigger.  mushrooms fruit in the wild in 90 degree weather, and there certainly aint nobody putting them in a fridge to trigger right?

fresh air is a much more important trigger. make sure they get plenty of it, without compromising your humidity.  for your cakes you want your humidity at as near 100% as you can get.

a few seconds of exposure to light is enough to trigger pinning.  but you'll want to give it more light than that obviously... you want the light to penetrate any verm you've rolled in, etc.  again try to mirror nature.  put your light on a timer (or manually do it if you want) and give them some light and some darkness.  most do 12 on 12 off because its easy.  you can do fine with as little as 4 or 6 on.

you don't need light once the pins have come.  but its best to keep it on, as pins for your later flushes are still developing.  light also helps the mushrooms grow upwards and straight.  if you cut the light after the pins have formed, you'll end up with fat subby mushrooms who are confused about which was is up.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck