Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinequack180
journeyman
Loc: new england
steamer question
    #588356 - 03/24/02 06:03 PM (22 years, 9 days ago)

I'm gonna sterilize and innoculate my jars tomorrow. First timer here- four jars ready. My question is about the steamer. Can you just use a large enough pot with some sort of towel on the bottom and a tight fitting lid? Or do you need an actual steamer? If so, any suggestions?

thanks- and yes i have read through the faq- just a clarifying question is all.. :smile: 

--------------------
weed is for smoking

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: steamer question [Re: quack180]
    #588372 - 03/24/02 06:25 PM (22 years, 9 days ago)

"you just use a large enough pot with some sort of towel on the bottom and a tight fitting lid."

Correct

Good luck!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineSWiTtles
Loc: looks like a hand
    #588378 - 03/24/02 06:33 PM (22 years, 9 days ago)

I use a big ass pot, and I use thick chicken wire to space the jars off of the bottom of the pot about 3 inches. (you want to be sure that the water won't totally boil off). and don't over fill the water (no more than 1/4 of the way up the side of the jar) I've done over 150 jars for myself and friends this way and have only 10 infections total (most likely from the syringe my buddy made for me)!!!! just be sure to steam them for at least 1.5 hours and don't let the water boil off. if it does you'll burn the cake and actually crack the jars. if you need to add water be careful sudden temp changes can crack the glass jar

I've used this tek with brown rice, and birdseed substrates

--------------------
"one day we'll be able to model your brain as a mathmatical equation. since the number of equations possible for the human species is NOT infinate, we will ALL live again"
-Me

Offlinequack180
journeyman
Loc: new england
Re: steamer question [Re: SWiTtles]
    #588413 - 03/24/02 07:14 PM (22 years, 9 days ago)

thanks for the positive feedback.... so let me get this straight before i fuck all my shit up :smile:
DON'T let the water boil over the jars- they should not be completely submerged in the water, just taking a warm dip?
I have also hear that gas is better than electric. i have gas. lucky me :smile:

thanks again

--------------------
weed is for smoking

OfflineSWiTtles
Loc: looks like a hand
    #588429 - 03/24/02 07:28 PM (22 years, 9 days ago)

correct.
just a warm dip.
I've got an electric stove. I really don't think it matters

--------------------
"one day we'll be able to model your brain as a mathmatical equation. since the number of equations possible for the human species is NOT infinate, we will ALL live again"
-Me

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures