Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Some Microscopes used by MJ for identification and SEM Work * 1
    #5881202 - 07/20/06 12:04 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Here are some images of some of the microscopes I use in Bangkok at the University to examine collected specimens for research projects, forthcoming papers etc.

These first two are in our lab at the university in the Department of Microbiology.

New microscope in the office:

Lab microscopes (3 images)

My colleague preparing the stubs with gill fragments for the SEM work I am about to perform:

And here I am at the Scanning Electron Microscope with an assistant who fine tunes the images I decide to print (2 Images):

The Lab I am working in. At the far right one can see the glovebox I use to prepare spores into petri plates.

My lab assistant who holds a fresh collected specimen of Boleus edulis from near Suphanburim, Thailand. Ansd a close up of the large mushroom I am about to examine on the SEM (2 images):

The Boletus:

And the spore image obtained formt he SEM work:

And a dust mite obtained from a doormat at the University:

And here is a chart of the elements:

And one of the most powerfull scopes used in microbiology and physics, the Microspec WDX (3 Images):

And a close up of the viewer lens:

And have a shroomy day,

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (07/20/06 12:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Some Microscopes used by MJ for identification and SEM Work [Re: mjshroomer] * 1
    #5882343 - 07/20/06 07:01 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Dude.... nice lab assistant!~ :smile:

I'd let her hold my Bolete mushroom anyday. :grin:

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Some Microscopes used by MJ for identification and SEM Work [Re: mjshroomer] * 1
    #5882660 - 07/20/06 08:37 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hi MJ :smile:
Excellent photos!
This is the work I want to do!
What would the first steps be to getting oneself into this line of work?  years of study obviously!
Really nice equipment.
Thanks for sharing MJ.
inski.

--------------------

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #5882932 - 07/20/06 09:54 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Wow... That set up is freaking wicked.  Man, you've made your way up there, I envy your work.

Cute lab assist.  :wink:

Oh, and this mite is just too adorable for words.  Oozing with charm!!  Aawwww, I want to cuddle with it.

Quote:

mjshroomer said:
And a dust mite obtained from a doormat at the University:

mj

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Some Microscopes used by MJ for identification and SEM Work [Re: CureCat] * 1
    #5883106 - 07/20/06 10:48 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I have seen some images of the hairs on this mites legs and their are monster microscopic bugs eating on him and so forth.

mj

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #5883138 - 07/20/06 11:00 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Are the parasitic bugs as cute as the mite??

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #5883657 - 07/21/06 04:53 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Did you just ask to use their lab MJ? I didnt realise you had any qualifications.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Some Microscopes used by MJ for identification and SEM Work [Re: Zen Peddler] * 1
    #5883969 - 07/21/06 09:49 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I work with the University every summer with my colleagues there.

This is my last paper from last summer and as i have been menitioning all year, I am working on a rather large paper, so far 120 pages.

mj and have a shroomy day

Here again is my last paper published in the 2006 issue of the International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms.

I would alsop like to piont out that after writing this paper, specimens i obtained at Angkor Wat in 2005 were confirmed by Guzman to be P. samuiensis, now also identified from Cambodia and are now on deposit at BCU and at XAL.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #5901229 - 07/26/06 06:36 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

AS nopted, I work in the University wioth them on several important papers over the years.

I just wanted to add a cubensis spores to the list of my SEM Images.

Here is P. cubensis from Malaysia.

And a pcitrure of the spores of Copelandia cyanescens, also from Malaysia

mj

And yes Blue Meanie, I do have access to all lab and school materials I need for my research.

And I am qualified to make SEM images at the school.

mj

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #5901274 - 07/26/06 07:29 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Awesome stuff MJ, I'd love to be able to work with equipment like that some day.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Re: Some Microscopes used by MJ for identification and SEM Work [Re: eris] * 1
    #5902071 - 07/26/06 02:41 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Sweet! :grin:

That last Copelandia pic is awesome. Nice work MJ!

InvisibleMead

Re: Some Microscopes used by MJ for identification and SEM Work *DELETED* [Re: Feelers] * 1
    #5902405 - 07/26/06 04:53 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by Mead

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinehooksbooks
Fun Guy
Male

Loc: Central, TX
Re: Some Microscopes used by MJ for identification and SEM Work [Re: Mead] * 1
    #5907490 - 07/28/06 12:00 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

nice work MJ, I wanted to take mycology when i was studying business at az state but they required a substantial amount of prerequisites beyone my botany 101. Do you encounter any critisism or scorn for your work with these often misunderstood allies?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Some Microscopes used by MJ for identification and SEM Work [Re: hooksbooks] * 1
    #5908602 - 07/28/06 10:56 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Not from my peers or other scholars. We all share the same respectr for the work we do with others and alone.

Only a few teens aned trolls here and at a few other sites cause irritation.

I enjoy the work I do and the work that I study.

Remember we only have one life and should do with t it what we see fit. Not what others see as fit for us.

Have a shroomy day,

mj

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #5908754 - 07/28/06 11:57 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, best to not even pay the trolls any mind.. as long as you enjoy what you do who cares what anyone else thinks.

I've been made fun of by friends, family, or associates for spending so much time studying mushrooms. To many I am misunderstood, but I don't let that bother me one bit. I do what I like regardless. :grin:

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

#5910994 - 07/29/06 02:10 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Actually im surprised you say that MJ - since most published or qualified botanists and mycologists are quite openly against the use of Psilocybes and allies - some actualy cooperate and receive funding from law enforcement agencies.
Some mycologists in australia actually believe that the genus Psilocybe has been overstudied to the neglect of other families.
Infact it is my understanding that a biologist who suggested he had tripped on Psilocybes was austrecised.
It should also be pointed out that it is a rare exception that someone would get texts published without qualifications. Obviously, in MJs case years and volumes of experience speak for themselves, but if you want to make mycology or biology your way of life you'd better get into a university and get very good marks...

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Some Microscopes used by MJ for identification and SEM Work [Re: Zen Peddler] * 1
    #5911421 - 07/29/06 08:51 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Blue Meanie said,
Quote:

Actually im surprised you say that MJ - since most published or qualified botanists and mycologists are quite openly against the use of Psilocybes and allies

Actually it would be more mycologists who do not like those who eat Psilocybe and it is those mycologists who live on the east coast and SOutheast USA, although Jopseph Amiratti at the UW does not particularly like those who eat Psilocybe.

Most of the remaining scholars who strudied these shrooms actually do not care who eats the nmushrooms and many of them have eaten shrooms. Difference being that when they a=te the shrooms first, the shrooms were not illegal. Many of them actually do not like the breaking of laws. And some live outside the USA and do not regard their use as wrong.

However, from Arno Adelaars,

Michael Aldrich,

Richard Alpert(Baba Ram Dass),

Wolfgang Bauer,

Michael Beug

Frank Barron

Antonio Bianchi

Jeremy Bigwood

Richard Glen Boire

Masha Wasson Briten is the adopted daughter of R. Gordon Wasson, who, along with her mother, Valentina Pavlova Wasson, became the first westerner to consume the magic mushrooms outside of a ceremonial context. She is against their use as a recreational drug, although her father turned her on to shrooms when they were legal. She believes they beong to government controlls (elitist).

J. Christopher Brown is a graduate student in Botany at the University of Massachusetts

Jim de Korne is the author of Psychedelic Shamanism

Herman de Vries is a Dutch artist who is also editor-in-chief of Integration - Journal of Mind Moving Plants and Culture.

Rick Doblin is the founder and current president of MAPS (Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies) and has recently conducted a follow-up study to Timothy Leary’s, Concord Psilocybin Prison Project. Rick is currently in the Ph.D. program in Public Policy at Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government and has previously graduated from Stan and Christina Grof’s Holotropic Breathwork 3-year training program.

Wendy Doniger O’Flaherty was co-author with R. Gordon Wasson of Soma: Divine Mushroom of Immortality, and is an expert on the Hindu epic Reg Veda, also having edited an anthology with some of the original text.

William Emboden is Professor of Biology at the University of California at Northridge and author of Narcotic Plants, an excellent book on visionary and other psychoactive plants. A portion of this fine book is devoted to mushrooms.

Leonard Enos is author of the first identification manual for psilocybine-containing mushrooms common in the Pacific Northwest United States. Mr. Enos’ A Key to the North American Psilocybin [sic] Mushroom”

Alvaro Estrada is a Mazatec Indian who speaks and writes Spanish. His interviews with María Sabina were the basis for her autobiography Vida de María Sabina: La Sabia de Hongos, translated into French as (“Autobiographie de María Sabina: La Sage aux Champignons Sacrés”); English as (“María Sabina: Her Life, Her Chants”); into Portuguese (“A Vida de María Sabina, a Sabia dos Cogumelos”); and German as {“María Sabina: Botin der Heiligen Pilze”).

Michael Fehr is director of the Karl Ernst Osthaus-Museum in Hagen (Germany). Fehr has organized several exhibitions on the studies and use of the fly-agaric mushroom Amanita muscaria.

Francisco Festi is a researcher of entheogenic mushrooms and author of Funghi Allucinogeni: Aspetti Psicofisiologici E Storici (in Italian, 1985).

Nat Finkelstein was just a young student when he traveled to México in the late 1960's.

Peter Furst is Professor Emeritus of Anthropology at the State University of New York at Albany,

Jochen Gartz--is a biochemist and mycologist at the University of Leipzig, Germany.

Rich Gee is co-author with Jule Stevens of How to Grow and Identify Psilocybin Mushrooms and author of an aquarium guide to the latest techniques for growing psychoactive mushrooms, Cubensis Aquarium Gardening Workbook Edition..

Ewald Gerhardt is a European mycologist who has just published a revision of the genus Panaeolus.

Hartmut Geerken is a german writer, musician and paramycologist.

Allen Ginsburg was one of the first people Timothy Leary introduced to psilocybian mushrooms. According to Leary, Ginsburg, after becoming inebriated by the mushrooms, ripped-off all of his clothes and from Leary's Millbrook estate ran stark naked down the street and was not to be heard from until several months later.

F. F. Ghouled is author of The Field Guide to Psilocybin Mushrooms. Ghouled, along with colleague Richard Meridith, later published Psilocybin Cultivation after changing his name to F. C. Gould.

Sergius Golowin is a renown Swiss writer and folklorist, who in his book Die Magie der verbotenen Märchen (Hamburg, 1973), was the first person to infer that there was a connection between the caps of the dwarfs and other beings in fairy tales and the appearance of the fly agaric

Adam Gottlieb is author of The Psilocybin Producer’s Guide, a poorly written book on cultivation with several identification errors

Robert Graves

Gastón Guzmán is a Mexican mycologist, co-founder and past President of the Mexican Mycological Society. Guzmán has spent more than 44 years studying mushrooms, working mainly in taxonomy, ecology and ethnomycology.

Richard and Karen Haard were not directly involved in the study of hallucinogenic mushrooms, but they did publish in the mid-1970’s one of the first field guides devoted specifically to the identification of both poisonous and hallucinogenic mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest United States. Richard Haard, Ph.D., is a graduate of Kansas State University, and formerly an associate Professor of Biology at Western Washington State College. Haard taught at the Nature Study Institute, Bellingham, Washington, which he and his wife Karen founded in 1974, and also worked as a biological-system consultant for various Indian tribes of North America. Karen Haard, B.Sc. is also a graduate of Kansas State University, and a former research technician in a biological laboratory.

Joan Halifax is an anthropologist with an interest in shamanism and preliterate cultures that have used drug-plants. She was a close friend of R. Gordon Wasson’s.

Martin Hanslmeier is a German physician and psychotherapist who has been engaged in the study of mycology since childhood. Hanslmeier is also a painter and photographer of psychoactive fungi. His study on German psychoactive mushrooms (Mykographie einer Wiese in der Rhön) has been printed in Herman de Vries’ catalogue of a large collection of herbs and plants (natural relations, Nürnberg 1989). Also numerous articles on magic mushrooms have appeared in many journals and publications throughout Germany.

Bob Harris is the author of Growing Wild Mushrooms and the creator, along with David Tatelman, of the Homestead Mushroom Kit.

Roger Heim was the noted French mycologist who accompanied R. Gordon Wasson on several expeditions into the Sierra Madre of México and identified taxonomically the first seven species of hallucinogenic fungi

Margaret Holden is an English mycologist who reported on the poisoning of a young boy who had allegedly consumed Panaeolina foenisecii.

Hans van den Hurk is the founder of the Conscious Dreams Smart Shop and wholesale operation in Amsterdam, which legally sells fresh psilocybian mushrooms

Aldous Huxley spent the last decade of his life in the study of entheogens, after Humphrey Osmond introduced him to mescaline in 1953. Mr. Huxley is the author of Brave New World and Island, both of which were about drugs and their integration into society.

Jim Jacobs, an anthropologist who has done field-work on psychoactive mushrooms throughout México, Canada, and the United States since 1975.

Karl L. R. Jansen is the co-author, together with John W. Allen and Mark D. Merlin, of the paper An Ethnomycological review of Psychoactive Agarics in Australia and New Zealand, was published in 1991 issue of Journal of Psychoactive Drugs.

Everett Kardel is an Oregon author of an early identification guide for mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest (Magic Mushrooms), a unique pamphlet printed on a mimeograph machine.

Keewaydinoquay [M. Peschel] is a North American Indian shaman from Miniss Kitigan, Michigan, a member of the Ahnishinaubeg, one of the few Native American tribes
(located in Northern Michigan and Southern Ontario known to uses a mushroom [Amanita muscaria] in a ceremonial context.

Edzard Klapp has studied under the tuttledge of the well-known German mycologist Hans Haas (Die Pilze Mittel-Europas), having, at an early age, discovered the strangeness and the hidden secrets of the sacred fungi.

Stanley Krippner, Ph.D., is Professor of Psychology at Saybrook Graduate School, San Francisco, California.

Weston LaBarre is an anthropologist with a special interest in the use of entheogens by primitive societies. He is author both of The Peyote Cult, the definitive book on the peyote religion, and The Ghost Dance: The Origins of Religion.

Martin A. Lee and Bruce Shlain are authors of Acid Dreams: The CIA, LSD, and the Sixties Rebellion, a book which retells the story of the CIA infiltration of R. Gordon Wasson’s expedition to México in 1956. Their book also provides some insight into Timothy Leary's research at Harvard. See John Marks and Jay Stevens.

Roger Liggenstorfer is co-editor of Maria Sabina. Botin der heilige Pilze.

Gary Lincoff is president of the North American Mycological Society, employed at the New York Botanical Garden and is editor of the Audubon Field Guide to the North American Mushrooms and The Simon and Schuster Mushroom Field Guide. Lincoff has also contributed, with D. H. Mitchell, a 35-page chapter to the book Toxic and Hallucinogenic Mushroom Poisoning.

Frank J. Lipp is professor in the Department of Anthropology of Duke University and has studied the use of psilocybian mushrooms among the Chinantec and Mixe of Oaxaca, México.

Bernard Lowy was professor Emeritus in the Botany Department of Louisiana State University.

Thomas Lyttle is editor and publisher of the now-defunct journal Psychedelic Monographs and Essays. Currently the editor of Psychedelics reimagined.

John Marks is author of The Search for the Manchurian Candidate. Marks first uncovered the story of the CIA’s infiltration of R. Gordon Wasson's Mexican mushroom expedition in 1956. See related information under James Moore, Jay Stevens and Lee & Shlain.

Dennis McKenna has been involved in the interdisciplinary study of ethnopharmacology and plant hallucinogens for the past 25 years.

Terence McKenna was a world-renowned guru of sacred mushrooms, author, evangelistic proselyte of the Amazon and the mind; and a noted lecturer, specializing in shamanic-plants, entheogens from the Amazon and spiritual transformation.

Gary Menser was a real estate agent in Florence, Oregon and a past President of the Eugene, Oregon Mycological Society.

Mark D. Merlin is a biogeographer in the Biology Program of the University of Hawai’i at Manoa with special interest in the ethnobotany and cultural history of entheogenic plants.

Richard Hans Norland is author of What’s In A Mushroom?

György-Miklos Ola'h is a mycologist and chemist at Laval Université in Québec, Canada. In the late 1960,'s Ola'h conducted several studies of the genus Panaeolus and published a monograph, Le Genre Panaeolus, identifying several Panaeolus mushrooms as latent psilocybian and/or non-psilocybian. Ola'h also studied species from Southeast Asia, Africa and the Philippines.

Jonathan Ott is an ethnopharmacolgnosist, natural-products chemist and botanical researcher, is considered by many to be the "Master of Entheogens." A protégé of R. Gordon Wasson, Ott was one of the original organizers of the now-famous mushroom conferences of the late 1970's. Ott is founder of Natural Products Co., a small chemical- manufacturing business based in Vashon, Washington. He us a fellow of the Linnean Society, and a long time member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Society for Economic Botany and the Society of Ethnobiology. Ott co-authored a book and paper with his friend and teacher, the late ethnomycologist R. Gordon Wasson and has also collaborated closely with Richard Evans Schultes and Albert Hofmann. Furthermore, Ott is the author of Hallucinogenic Plants of North America, book on the proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Hallucinogenic Mushrooms, Teonanácatl: Hallucinogenic Mushrooms of North America (co-edited with Jeremy Bigwood) both out-of print, as well as The Cacahuatl Eater: Ruminations of an Unabashed Chocolate Addict, Pharmacotheon: Entheogenic Drugs, their Plant Sources and History. Most recently he published a book on the famous South American visionary-drug, Ayahuasca Analogues, as well as The Age of Entheogens and the Angels’ Dictionary and Pharmacophiles ir the Natural Paradises. Ott is working on a book of shamanic snuffs. Ott, together with Rob Montgomery, conducts annual seminars under the auspices of Entheobotany Seminars Corps. These annual entheogenic-plant seminars have taken place in Equador, Maui, Hawai’i, Veracruz and Palenque, Mexico

Steven Peele is curator and President of the Florida Mycology Research Center. At one time, Mr. Peele was the only private citizen in the United who had a Schedule One permit for possession and sale of psilocybe spores, mushrooms and mushroom-cultures. Due to unorthodox methods for storage of such material, the DEA withdrew his permit. Peele publishes a newsletter, The Mushroom Culture: Journal of Mushroom Cultivation.

Steven Hayden Pollock followed in Andrew Weil's footsteps by reporting in scientific journals, a history of the contemporary use of psilocybin mushrooms as recreational drugs. Pollock also contributed several noteworthy papers on both Psilocybe and Panaeolus species to the scientific and academic communities. He was the first investigator to report on the use of visionary mushrooms in Hawai’i. Pollock was also involved in the propagation of Psilocybe cubensis and is noted for the marketing of what he referred to as "Cosmic Camote" or "Philosophers Stone." These epithets were given to the sclerotia of a new species discovered by Pollock, Psilocybe tampanensis. Pollock also produced a potent strain of Psilocybe cubensis which he named Matias Romero after a town in southwestern Mexico and was the first cultivator to use horse manure and straw compost for cultivating the visionary mushrooms.

Christian Rätsch is a cultural anthropologist from Hamburg, Germany, specializing in the sacred and secular use of magical plants.

Alan B. Richardson is a professional photographer and was a personal friend of R. Gordon Wasson.

Thomas J. Riedlinger is a researcher who was editor of The Sacred Mushroom Seeker: Essays for R. Gordon Wasson.

Ronald Rippchen is the author and editor of a German book devoted to psilocybian mushrooms.

Alexandra Rosenbohm is a German cultural anthropologist and exhibition maker who is a specialiist in trance-inducing plants and mushrooms in the context of historic and contemporary shamanism and witchcraft.

Barry Rumack and Emanuel Salzman are authors of an excellent book with several chapters devoted to visionary mushrooms, Mushroom Poisoning: Diagnosis and Treatment.

Luc Sala is a German television personality involved in the media and various aspects of the European drug subculture. He is also the author of Paddos: Our Little Brothers. Starter Guide of Magic Mushroom Psychonauts.

Giorgio Samorini is an Italian researcher of psychoactive plants and mushrooms with a special interest in the archaeology of mushroom art throughout the ages (including Amanita art and the art of the Tassilli plains).

Jeremy Sandford is the author of In Search of the Magic Mushroom. Sandford describes his adventures in México while seeking out the magic mushrooms he had heard so much about.

J. H. Sanford is author of an article about the accidental ingestion of psilocybian mushrooms in Japan. Some of the case studies provided by Mr. Sanford date back to the 11th century.

Georges Scheibler is a French mycologist who published the first European guide to identification of psilocybian mushrooms. After its publication Scheibler was harassed by French authorities. Narcotics agents believed that his book would lead to widespread abuse of the mushrooms in France and other European countries.

Alexander and Ann Shulgin are chemists and authors of Pihkal: Phenlethylamines I Have Known and Loved and their new monumental work Tihkal: Tryptamines I Have Known And Loved, a book about their interest in the tryptamine compounds and the chemistry and chemical formulae of many analogues of psilocine and psilocybine.

Rolf Singer was a leading figure in mycology who was also a prolific writer who held important academic and research positions in Europe, North America and South America. Singer also was a Research Associate in the Department of Botany at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago, Illinois, from 1968-1994. Most noted for developing the nearly universally used classification for the Agaricales (mushrooms and related fungi), Singer reportedly named 86 genera, over 2460 species and infraspecies of fungi distributed in 222 genera. His 440 papers written in 9 languages, covered topics ranging from fungal systematics, nomenclature, ecology, ethnomycology, and mushroom cultivation. Singer, along with noted Michigan mycologist Alexander H. Smith, provided the academic world with the first monograph of the newly discovered species of psilocybian Psilocybes and their distribution in the Pacific Northwest of the United States and Mexico. Both of these intrepid scholars hold a special place in the ethnomycology of the sacred mushrooms of Mexico. After Roger Heim provided the taxonomy and naming of the first seven species recognized from México, the late mycologist , accompanied by two young Mexican botanists, M. A. Palacios and Gastón Guzmán, arrived in Oaxaca, México to conduct a taxonomic study on the Mexican mushrooms. Soon they met R. Gordon Wasson, and eventually followed his footsteps tracing the route of the sacred mushrooms throughout Oaxaca, Mexico. Later Singer and his colleague from the University of Michigan, Alexander H. Smith, co-authored a short monograph on the taxonomy of psilocybian mushrooms common in the Pacific Northwestern United States and México (including a few species from México). They also contributed a paper on the sacred mushrooms among the Aztecs and their Náhua descendants. Singer was the second author to note the possible medical use of the sacred mushrooms after Valentina P. Wasson by writing an excellent article on the curative properties of these mushrooms among some groups of indigenous peoples living in Oaxaca (Singer, 1957). Furthermore, Singer contributed numerous articles to books and journals regarding both the medical and recreational use of the sacred fungi. His book The Agaricales in Modern Taxonomy was the first book in modern times to discuss the idea that Teonanácatl was a mushroom, even providing some evidence linking the word Teonanácatl to certain species.

Prakitsin Sihanonth is the head of the Department of Microbiology at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand. Dr. Sihanonth is considered to be a leading authority on mushroom cultivation and excels in the identification of edible, poisonous and psychoactive mushrooms of Thailand.

Alexander H. Smith was Professor Emeritus of Botany at the University of Michigan. Who along with his colleague Rolf Singer, published some of the earliest papers on the occurrence of psilocybian mushrooms in the United States.

Peter Stafford is author of the Psychedelics Encyclopedia which covers many of the entheogenic plants used as ludible drugs by certain segments of contemporary society.

Paul Stamets is the Paul Bunyan of mushrooms common to the Pacific Northwest United States.

Jay Stevens is author of Storming Heaven: LSD and the American Dream. Stevens devoted three chapters of this book to the sacred mushrooms.

Jule Stevens is co-author with Rich Gee of How to Identify and Grow Psilocybin [sic] Mushrooms, a field-and cultivation-guide to mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest United States and Hawai’i.

Tjakko Stijve was born in Utrecht (Netherlands) where he received an education in analytical chemistry. Since 1987 he has lived in Switzerland, where (until his retirement in 1999) he ran a section on food contaminants in the Quality Assurance Department of Nestle. Early on he developed an interest in the chemistry of higher fungi, resulting in the publication of many papers on mushroomic toxins and on the bioaccumulation of potentially-toxic trace-elements in macromycetes. While studying tryptophan-derivatives in the early 1980’s, he came upon the tryptamines bufotenine, psilocine and psilocybine in some fungi. This awakened his curiosity about psychoactive mushrooms, and prompted him to look for the tryptamines in (at that time) unexplored genera such as Inocybe and Pluteus. In the early 1990’s together with mycologist André de Meijer, he made an inventory of the psychoactive mushrooms occurring in Paraná, a province in Southern Brazil. He is presently involved in a study on selenium and bioactive compounds in the genus Albatrellus, which will mark the end of his professional activities in mycochemistry. After his retirement, Stijve will explore a number of ethnomycological subjects.

Frederick Swain was a student who traveled to México in the early 1960's and was graciously greeted by María Sabina who performed a mushroom ceremony for him. Swain wrote of his experience in the Journal Tomorrow, later reprinted in Psychedelic Review No. 2.

David Tatelman is President and founder of the Homestead Book Company. By selling thousands of Mushroom kits and spores over a period of 25 years, he is directly responsible for most of the psilocybe mushrooms now cultivated in the United States. He also published one of the first field guides, The Magickal Mushroom Handbook and was the publisher of Paul Stamets’ first book, Psilocybin Mushrooms and Their Allies. His genius has been in popularizing mushrooms to the masses.

Peter Vuchich of Hongero Press was the first person to commercially sell Psilocybe cubensis spores, which he did by including them in his early book about cultivating mushrooms in the early 70’s.

Johanna Wagner was a German ethnologist (1923-1990) who became a practicing medicine-woman (mganga) in Africa. In 1982, Dr. Wagner participated in a scientific experiment where she bioassayed fresh caps of the fly agaric. Her experiences with the fly agaric-man during an experience covering almost three days and nights, was recorded on tape and eventually published in Ein Füllhorn göttlicher Kraft. Unter Schamanen, Gesundbetern und Wetterbeschwörern (Berlin 1985).

R. Gordon and Valentina Wasson were pioneer researchers of the entheogenic mushrooms. Together they coined the terms mycophobia and mycophilia. R. Gordon Wasson is also referred to as the Father of Ethnomycology. Wasson and his wife Valentina are the epitome of the heart of sacred mushrooms. In the middle 1950's, they became the first outsiders to partake of the sacred mushrooms. Gordon Wasson also studied the Aryan entheogen soma; the Kuma aborigines of New Guinea who used theragenic Boletus and Russula species, and extensively researched the use of Amanita muscaria among certain of Siberia. Later, he brought to the attention of the public and academic communities the discovery of a North American tribe which uses Amanita muscaria in a religious context [Wasson & Wasson, 1957; Wasson, 1957, Wasson, 1958, 1979, jpd on Ojibway].

Roy Watling is an English mycologist, the Senior Principal Scientific Officer of the Royal Botanic Garden in Edinburgh, Scotland. Watling has contributed numerous articles on the taxonomy and use of psilocybian mushrooms from Australia and Great Britain and has published papers with Gastón Guzmán.

Andrew Weil is a recipient of an AB degree in botany from Harvard University and also worked for the National Institute of Mental Health. Currently, Dr. Weil is the director of the Program in Integrative Medicine and clinical professor of internal medicine at the University of Arizona in Tucson. As a fellow of the Institute of Current World Affairs, Weil traveled extensively in Mexico, Central and South America gathering information about medicinal plants and healing. Weil was the first investigator to report on the ludible use of psilocybian mushrooms from the Pacific Northwest United States, Colombia in South America and México. He is a graduate of Harvard Medical School who has traveled extensively writing on drug-use throughout México, Central and South America. Weil is author of The Natural Mind, The Marriage of the Sun and the Moon, From Chocolate to Morphine, and numerous books on holistic health and healing. It was Weil who first reported the use of Psilocybe semilanceata (the liberty-cap mushroom) in Oregon. Weil has also contributed several papers on psilocybian mushrooms to The Harvard Review, The Crimson (Harvard’s newspaper) Botanical Museum Leaflets of Harvard, Journal of Psychedelic Drugs, Journal of Altered States of Consciousness and Look Magazine.

Arnold Wolman is author of a small pamphlet on Psilocybe cubensis. This 16-page booklet described the collection of P. cubensis from the southeastern United States. This guide was published in Chicago, Illinois and was somewhat limited in its distribution.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

While some of the above noted people are gone form us, their works strill exemplify the awareness the mushrooms brought to us all.

I also know many mycologists who do not like magic shrooms but I want to share something with all of you.

When I first started down this long and winding road, Not many wanted to share any information with me because the musrhooms were considered as drugs by straight mycologists here in Washington. When i first became a member of the Pugot Sound Mycologiical Socieity, they were overjoyed at all of the new memberships they got due to those who wanted to learn about the magic shrooms. It brought people and money to their mycology clubs all ovet the PNW and elsewhere, So many of these new members not only sought out their magic allies, but showed an emmense interest in edible shrooms as well. It brought many to mycology who before had no interest in learning about mushrooms and thought of mushroom pickers as like bird watchers. It also brought about an interest in some of those straight people to try the mushrooms and vice versa.

Popularity in mycology grew from those people. Today however, the majority of straight shroom pickers have no interest in drugs or shroom eaters, although a few of them do try mushrooms at least once.

many in the 1970s in Seattle who were straight shroom pickers also tried the magic shrooms to see what all of the hullabaloo was about.

So because of us and the people listed above, who are but a few, We made these mushrooms reach out to a vast audience of listeners who decied they wanted to also shroom like we did.

And many botanists do go to school to learn of plant magic. So I have to disagree with your interpretation. Read Wade Davis' book of Richard Evans Schultes 14-years in the Amazon.

Botanists are paid and funded to go to the Amazon to search out new medicinal plants for pharmaceutical firms to be used in medicines. They relish this kind of funding for their firms and give large donations to schools like Harvard, Princeton and yale and Duke University to study those very plants you mentioned.

And chemists who research psychoactive plants do so because they can get much funding inn organic chemistry. IT is believed that oen out of eery five stude4nts in organic chemistry know how to make both DMT and Ecstacy. Think abnout that.

It is easy to get grants to produce a few grams or more of DMT in schools. Usually a person makes much more than a few grams when they do so. They in turn give samples away to others. that is how many new drugs are spread.

mj

Anyway, I really did not want to drag on this subject.

Edited by mjshroomer (07/29/06 09:02 AM)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

#5913920 - 07/30/06 03:04 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Gees that would have taken a while, but it doesnt really prove my point wrong, since i could write down a list of mycologists and botanists who would not admit to interest in Psilocybian mushrooms and if your suggesting that being open about the use of psilocybe mushrooms is a way of moving forward within the academic community then I could disagree more. As far as I am aware there is only two academics in Australia who would even suggest that they were interested in Psilocybe mushrooms.
I know for a fact that Paul Stamets admits that he has run into volumes of resistance and mistrust within the mycological and academic community as a result of his openness in discussing his interest in Psilocybes.
Secondly, more than half of the names listed are not mycological related - i mean Adlous Huxley and Ginsberg arent botanists, mycologists, or biologists and many of the others arent academics - they are just authors who have written some books on enthnobotany. It is not at all surprising that they would be open about mushroom use - since they dont have academic credentials in biology to defend or a reputation in that field to maintain.
From my understanding of both Guzman and Watling, neither use magic mushrooms and certainly would not admit it openly. Infact id be curious about how they felt about you posting their names publically suggesting that they do. :wink:
Andrew Weil is again a person with academic credentials and is regularly published in Time magazine - but he isnt a biologist.
But my original point was that botanists/biologists/mycologists are resistant to admitting they are connected or interested in the usage of psilocybin mushrooms. I wasnt talking about anthropologists or authors who were openly interested in ethnobotany.
I was talking about academic biologists.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #5914976 - 07/30/06 01:20 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Guzman has, on numerous ocasions, eaten magic mushrooms. Below is a partial page in his own words of his first experience on shrooms.

From The Sacred Mushroom Seeker: Essays for R. Gordon Wsson. Chapter by Dr. Gaston Guzman

He also once consumed 50 small cubes weighing about 1 ounce fresh

But I really do not need to dig in my files.

I do not say things as you suggested without knowing what I am talking about. And I try not to post peoples names woithout having the words in print to show if needed.

Anyway that point is moot.

mj

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

#5917803 - 07/31/06 06:22 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

So there are written references stating that Roy Watling openly takes Psilocybes?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract