Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
Cannabis improves night vision: a case study of dark adaptometry and scotopic sensitivity
    #5868303 - 07/17/06 05:26 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.physiologics.com/herbclip/review.asp?i=44063

Date: January 31, 2005

Re: Improvement in Night Vision After Ingestion of Cannabis

Russo E, Merzouki a, Mesa J, Frey K, Bach P.

Cannabis improves night vision: a case study of dark adaptometry and scotopic sensitivity in kif smokers of the Rif mountains of northern Morocco. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2004;93:99-104.

Cannabis (Cannabis sativa) has been used medicinally for thousands of years to treat various ailments, such as migraine headaches and other painful conditions. In 1991 it was reported that Jamaican fishermen who ingested cannabis were remarkably able to navigate their boats in the dark through dangerous coral reefs; similar observations were made contemporaneously among Moroccan fisherman smoking kif. Although many claims of the beneficial effect of cannabis on night vision have been made, few modern investigations have evaluated this effect. However, previous studies do refute mere papillary dilation as the reason for these effects. Furthermore, other studies have shown that cannabinoid receptors (CB1) are in relative abundance in the human retina. Thus, the authors' use of a newly developed technique to evaluate night vision in cannabis smokers is helpful in understanding how night vision can be optimized.

Initially, a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial was conducted in a 50-year-old man familiar with the effects Marinol, synthetic THC cannabis. This subject was orally administered graduated doses of 0–20 mg THC cannabis as Marinol® (synthetic delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol; THC; Solvay Pharmaceuticals, Marietta, GA). Scotopic sensitivity and dark adaptation were tested with the Scotopic Sensitivity Tester-1 (SST-1; LKC Technologies, Gaithersburg, MD). Subsequent to this study, the authors conducted a field study, analogous to the single-subject study, in 3 Moroccan men aged 32-48 years, all of whom were experienced users of kif—a sifted product of various grades of cannabis containing significant amounts of THC and cannabidiol. A high-grade sifted cannabis mixed with tobacco (Nicotiana rustica) in a 2:1 ratio, respectively, was smoked as kif by these men using a traditional sebsi pipe. Vision testing was conducted before and after numerous inhalations of the kif mixture.

In the single-subject dose-escalation study with Marinol, the subject perceived the stimulus at the lowest instrument setting on the Dark Adaptation Test, regardless of the dose. With the Scotopic Sensitivity Test, no changes in response to the stimulus were noted until the dose reached 10 mg of oral THC, and the improvement which was maintained at 20 mg of oral THC. This finding suggested a dose-response effect. In the field study, consistent improvements on the Dark Adaptation Test and the Scotopic Sensitivity Test were observed with each measurement in all 3 subjects.

The authors state that the "results reasonably indicate support of the hypothesis that oral THC and smoked cannabis may improve night vision sufficiently to merit additional investigation." Furthermore, they indicated that the pharmacological effect appeared to be dose-dependent and cannabinoid-mediated. It was suggested that the practical application of cannabis for conditions other than night vision—such as retinitis pigmentosa, macular degeneration, glaucoma, multiple sclerosis, and chemotherapy-related nausea—also be explored.

—Brenda Milot, ELS

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Cannabis improves night vision: a case study of dark adaptometry and scotopic sensitivity [Re: Booby]
    #5868894 - 07/17/06 10:59 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Thats why I never drive at night without it! :wink:

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Spiral staircasetechnician
Male

Loc: Ythan's house
Re: Cannabis improves night vision: a case study of dark adaptometry and scotopic sensitivity [Re: DNKYD]
    #5868924 - 07/17/06 11:07 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Everyone should smoke before they drive! :lol:

--------------------
:orly:

Offlinemusicturkey
Mitakuye Oyasin
Male

Loc: MidWest
Re: Cannabis improves night vision: a case study of dark adaptometry and scotopic sensitivity [Re: Microcosmatrix]
    #5869404 - 07/17/06 01:57 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

It definetly makes me a better driver. Im so focused i duno, and no Im not the sterotypical stoner cruiser at 25mph. haha I've seen it before tho

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Spiral staircasetechnician
Male

Loc: Ythan's house
Re: Cannabis improves night vision: a case study of dark adaptometry and scotopic sensitivity [Re: musicturkey]
    #5869510 - 07/17/06 02:41 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

We'll be called "irresponsible" soon when the right ones see this.

:lol:

--------------------
:orly:

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
Re: Cannabis improves night vision: a case study of dark adaptometry and scotopic sensitivity [Re: Booby]
    #5869512 - 07/17/06 02:43 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I smoke and drive as well, but try not to. Although I would consider myself a much better driver, 95% of the time, whilst high, and especially at night. I can't drive very well at night, but with cannabis I'm usually good. Man my eyes suck

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

OfflineJcheech
Stranger
Re: Cannabis improves night vision: a case study of dark adaptometry and scotopic sensitivity [Re: demiu5]
    #5872085 - 07/18/06 01:50 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

i smoke cannabis, and all of my wildest dreams have come true

--------------------
all of the information i post is untrue and false. i dont grow illegal substances. i respect the drug laws...

:laugh:

Edited by Jcheech (07/18/06 01:51 AM)

OfflineSir_Jeans
Sir
Male
Loc: Adelaide, S.A. Australia
Re: Cannabis improves night vision: a case study of dark adaptometry and scotopic sensitivity [Re: Jcheech]
    #5872389 - 07/18/06 05:03 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Generally speaking, im a much worse driver whilst high. I find that my field of vision is narrower and im easily distracted if I dont really focus. I try to avoid driving while high. However, I smoke infrequently so I have a low tolerance, and get really high on not much weed.

OfflineDarcho
PhysicallyDetermined

Re: Cannabis improves night vision: a case study of dark adaptometry and scotopic sensitivity [Re: Sir_Jeans]
    #5872953 - 07/18/06 10:33 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

This is why marijuana was a great tool for assassins: night vision and paranoia. Some say that the word 'assassin' has etymological roots in words such as 'hash-hashin' (or something along those lines).

Once a year, worshippers of Shiva will drink a brew called Bhang, which is a milk, nutmeg, and cannabis drink. Such a drink could have been derived from ancient times, where warriors would consume Bhang in praise of Shiva before a battle. Not sure why this is relevant, but they may have used it to increase night vision (of course this is just speculation, but its still cool to think about).

OfflineSir_Jeans
Sir
Male
Loc: Adelaide, S.A. Australia
Re: Cannabis improves night vision: a case study of dark adaptometry and scotopic sensitivity [Re: Darcho]
    #5876876 - 07/19/06 07:44 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I will keep this in mind next time I have to assasinate someone
:grin:

Offlinehooksbooks
Fun Guy
Male

Loc: Central, TX
Re: Cannabis improves night vision: a case study of dark adaptometry and scotopic sensitivity [Re: Sir_Jeans]
    #5878303 - 07/19/06 04:16 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

onetime a friend and I juiced an entire mature female sensi sativa plant, minus buds.  I'm not sure how well i could see in the dark that night, as I could barely open my eyes from the intense blaze :blazed:

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ∞
Re: Cannabis improves night vision: a case study of dark adaptometry and scotopic sensitivity [Re: hooksbooks]
    #5878320 - 07/19/06 04:26 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

This is news? LOL I figured this out years ago. Well I guess I never really came to this exact conclusion but i certainly see better at night whilst driving stoned as opposed to not.

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫
lyrics from: Transglobal Underground - Eyeway Souljah (from Psychic Karaoke)

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
Re: Cannabis improves night vision: a case study of dark adaptometry and scotopic sensitivity [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #5880289 - 07/20/06 03:24 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

this makes me wonder whether the "red eyes" could play a part in the better vision. maybe better blood flow to the eyes increases their ability to pick up light? more blood = better vision?

just a thought

OfflineBooby
Agent Mulder
 User Gallery
Re: Cannabis improves night vision: a case study of dark adaptometry and scotopic sensitivity [Re: BlimeyGrimey]
    #5880339 - 07/20/06 04:16 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Since I've been wearing glasses I noticed my vision gets worse when I smoke (in daylight)

--------------------
Let it not be remembered
That mycelium eats detritus and dies
But that life in all it's glory
Counts mycelium to be on it's side.

OfflineEraserhead
Lost Soul
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #5881078 - 07/20/06 11:27 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I can't drive sober, or the speed limit for that matter, I drive to work in the dark, and drive home usually in the dark, or try to.

I'm usually doing 55-60, in the 35's

when I drive slow, I'm all swervy like a damn drunk :frown:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals