Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKindnug
Male
Loc: Midwest, Go Bears
Recommended coco based casing for B+ grain jars?
    #586607 - 03/22/02 05:42 PM (22 years, 2 days ago)

Hey everyone, I have a couple of very nice looking Pint size B+ jars fully colonized (very thick) that I wanted to case with coconut husk, if possible. I have most of the common substrate materials, including fine vermiculite (might be bad for casing?) and Perlite; and can easily get 50/50 or other stuff like peat or whatever if I need to. I have Lowe's, Menards, WalMart, Farm & Fleet, as well as Garden shops and stuff too. This will be my first time casing, but I do not think I will have a serious problem catching on because I am a perfectionist, I don't see myself screwing up the watering or waiting too long to start the fruiting (don't worry I'm not using PR).....but who knows I've been wrong before!! So anyway I am really in need of some quality advice for an aspiring grower; I don't really need to stick to the beginner's casing tek's: even if I screw it up, I'd still rather try something harder and hopefully with coconut as the base material. So this is what first came to mind for me, using stuff I had. Take 2 parts coco to 1 part vermiculite to 1/2 part Perlite and sterilize w/water in the same size pints as the colonized ones. I figure maybe 3/4 a jar for the casing layer to 1 jar colonized? Or Can you do this with Perlite? Probably not necessary? I have also heard of people using coco and vermiculite, would this be a better strategy? Yet another thing I have heard is to just go ahead and use straight coconut husk, but to me it seems like that would dry out way too fast, especially if I don't have it in a very tight space. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recommended coco based casing for B+ grain jars? [Re: Kindnug]
    #586811 - 03/22/02 10:36 PM (22 years, 1 day ago)

Doesn't McSpam have something you'd rather buy?  :wink:

I recomend 75% coir to 25% verm, wet to field capacity.

Bake the verm ahead of time, or use straight from the bag.  Just hydrating the coir with hot (just boiled) water will pasteurize it plenty.  Wet to field capacity.

That will be $75 please.... 

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recommended coco based casing for B+ grain jars? [Re: mycofile]
    #587728 - 03/23/02 11:25 PM (22 years, 19 hours ago)

Those comments were ugly and uncalled for, my apologies. The advice sandwiched between the digs is sound though.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineKindnug
Male
Loc: Midwest, Go Bears
Re: Recommended coco based casing for B+ grain jars? [Re: mycofile]
    #587732 - 03/23/02 11:34 PM (22 years, 19 hours ago)

Apology accepted, and I apologize too because I am sure I have probably offended you in the past in some way, too many opinions for a newbie right? Anyways, I am really getting into shrooms in a big way and am starting to get my hands into a ton of stuff right now. I will follow your directions, I was thinking half and half but yours sounds better. I pretty much have to start casing because of some pans I want to grow from wild copelandia prints; so I figure I'll practice all this week before I get them. Don't want to waste them on some rookie mistake!!! Take it easy man

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds