Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleMinstrel
Man of Science
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hogtown
Recommend me some Fantasy?
    #5857649 - 07/14/06 11:10 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I've just finished The Dark Tower by Steven King, and now I've got nothing more to read, and don't know where to start.
I've read everything published under Tolkien's name (including A History of Middle Earth), The Fionavarion Tapestry (Kay), and essentially everything by RA Salvatore to name a few.

Thanks a lot!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
Re: Recommend me some Fantasy? [Re: Minstrel]
    #5857702 - 07/14/06 11:29 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman.

Black Sun Rising
When True Night Falls
Crown of Shadows

For over a thousand years, the colonists of the planet Erna have struggled to gain control over a land prone to seismic instability and infused with a wild, near-sentient natural force known as "the fae." While sorcerers and adepts manipulate the dark and light sides of this power, the Church maintains its stance in opposition to its use. As the dark side of the fae grows in strength, feeding off the nightmares and greed of the minds that are drawn to it, four individuals form an unwilling alliance to battle the source of evil. Friedman ( In Conquest Born , DAW, dist. by NAL, 1978; The Madness Season , DAW, dist. by NAL, 1990) has produced a splendid hybrid of sf and fantasy in this first volume of a trilogy. Hauntingly memorable protagonists, high drama, and vivid world-building mark the beginning of what promises to be a magnum opus of the imagination. A priority purchase for fantasy or sf collections.

You'll thank me later. I generally don't like fiction that falls into a certain genre, but I've read and reread this trilogy many times.

Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: new england
    #5857830 - 07/14/06 12:16 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin is a fantastic series and everyone i have recommended it to has loved it. The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan is great as well.

InvisibleRoom4Shroom
 User Gallery

Re: Recommend me some Fantasy? [Re: lowdominion]
    #5857869 - 07/14/06 12:29 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

lowdominion said:
The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin is a fantastic series and everyone i have recommended it to has loved it. The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan is great as well.

I was going to say the exact same thing - Both of these are great high-fantasy series. Song of Ice and Fire is by far the best series I have ever read, and I've read quite a few. It's fantasy, but it's a little more down to Earth than the Wheel of Time series. (i.e. In the Wheel of Time series, some people can conjure fire out of nothing, or lightning out of a clear sky, or change the weather, etc - Song of Ice and Fire is a little more believable, but there are aspects that are clearly fantasy (i.e. dragons, giants, etc). Both have great story lines, but again...I can't say enough good things about a Song of Ice and Fire - First book is called "A Game of Thrones"

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
Re: Recommend me some Fantasy? [Re: Room4Shroom]
    #5857894 - 07/14/06 12:35 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Phillip Pullman's trilogy is for kids and probably Im going get a slagging for mentioning it cos I dont have a clue about proper, semihardcore fantasy but I think they're really good. I also get annoyed when other people mention them so really I dont have a clue what Im doing.

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Offlinelowdominion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: new england
Re: Recommend me some Fantasy? [Re: mr_kite]
    #5857908 - 07/14/06 12:39 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I loved that trilogy very well written I believe it is called the "His Dark Materials" series

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
Re: Recommend me some Fantasy? [Re: mr_kite]
    #5857945 - 07/14/06 12:50 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mr_kite said:
Phillip Pullman's trilogy is for kids and probably Im going get a slagging for mentioning it cos I dont have a clue about proper, semihardcore fantasy but I think they're really good. I also get annoyed when other people mention them so really I dont have a clue what Im doing.

They're pretty damned good in my opinion. And just because it mostly concerns kids doesn't mean it's only for kids. Some of the stuff in there is pretty complicated, relationship wise, and somewhat dark as well.

For other fantasy that is definitely adult, check out Stephen R Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series. It's two trilogies with another trilogy being released a book at a time now. The first of the 3rd trilogy is already out, not sure of the status on the others. It's an incredibly epic series though. It's dark, it's powerful and it's kinda fucked up too hah. :thumbup::thumbup:

And although it's more science fiction than fantasy, Dan Simmons' Hyperion series is also extremely good. The first book in the set won the Hugo award but the story really picks up in the following books. Simmons also has several good horror novels as well: Carrion Comfort, Summer of Night, A Winter Haunting.. those are just a few. In fact pretty much anything by Dan Simmons is worth a read and his novels run the gamut of genres. Not only the sci-fi, and horror but also historical fiction (The Crook Factory), action/drama, and detective novels. Almost all of which are good to great reads.

Branching even further from the topic, if you like the epic series, especially if you like sci-fi drama etc, Stephen R Donaldson has another set of books, The Gap Series that is excellent. It's the only series I would (personally) put on par with the Dark Tower books.

Okay that's all.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #5857950 - 07/14/06 12:51 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Fantasy football is taking registrations now. :smirk:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

InvisibleMinstrel
Man of Science
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hogtown
Re: Recommend me some Fantasy? [Re: lowdominion]
    #5858133 - 07/14/06 01:53 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

lowdominion said:

RR Martin has actaully been at the back of my mind for some time now. I've actaully looked for it in the "World's Biggest Bookstore", Which has a fairly extensive fantasy section but no Fire and Ice. *rolls eyes*
High fantasy is definately preferable.

--------------------

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #5858141 - 07/14/06 01:55 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Check out Robert Jordans Wheel of Time series. EPIC!

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies