Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Imagining the Tenth Dimension (Flash)
    #5854061 - 07/13/06 09:28 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Imagining the Tenth Dimension (Flash) [Re: ivi]
    #5854432 - 07/13/06 11:49 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

That was really fucking cool.  :thumbup:

I've read this stuff many times, though usually in parts, and it always made sense.  But to see it put together and described in a graphical manner almost makes it seems new.

Thanks.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
    #5854705 - 07/13/06 01:30 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I almost posted this but I didn't. I forget why. It is really cool. First time I've actually been able to wrap my head around the higher dimensions. I have to give props to whoever came up with the concept in the first place. Additional dimensions are such a foreign concept you'd really have to be thinking outside the box.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #5855127 - 07/13/06 03:55 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Holy hell, that was great.  :thumbup:

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
    #5855364 - 07/13/06 05:28 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

wu-ow

Wow.

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Imagining the Tenth Dimension (Flash) [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #5856952 - 07/14/06 03:35 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

There's a really famous manuscript (or book, I guess) called Flatland. Read it!

But other than that, very nice description and good flash.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Edited by daba (07/14/06 03:45 AM)

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in Flag
Re: Imagining the Tenth Dimension (Flash) [Re: daba]
    #5857060 - 07/14/06 05:27 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

interesting...

so we're basically all just one single point which contains all there is/was/ever will be?
kinda comferting in a way :smirk:

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: tartarus
Re: Imagining the Tenth Dimension (Flash) [Re: Simisu]
    #5858552 - 07/14/06 04:14 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

so we're basically all just one single point which contains all there is/was/ever will be?

I've been telling ppl that ever since my ego loss trip a few years back. All time is at one point. Which incidentaly means all matter in our universe is everywhere at the same time.

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#5860518 - 07/15/06 01:09 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

In order to enjoy the media-rich nature of the Tenth Dimension website, you will need to upgrade to the latest version of Macromedia Flash. You can download the latest Flash plugin by clicking here. Below is the site content, made available for reference and ease of indexing. Note: OS 9 does not support the most recent flash plugin. As a result, OS 9 users will not be able to view the media-rich elements of this site.

hmm I cannot view this flash. can anyone save the flash file and send it to me or just attach it to this thread? in firefox, go to tools>page info>media and go to the file and "save as" - thanks :thumbup:

OfflineImperialCactus
Stranger

#5862482 - 07/15/06 05:58 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, I didn't read the book, so I imagine that would help a bit but am I the only one who thinks he's just making this up and pulling ideas out of his ass? The first three make sense, but then after that it just doesn't make any real sense to me... maybe it is just me then. I do believe it is very possible for there to be more than 3 dimensions, but not the explanation from the site. If anyone has read the book, does it elaborate more and actually seem possible?

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #5862613 - 07/15/06 06:40 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Very cool and most enlightening. :thumbup:

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#5863687 - 07/16/06 12:12 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

So.....what's the point of this model? What can we derive from string theory that is actually useful to humanity, other than having another way to say "everything is everything"? Surely it's all grounded in some legit physics but what can string theory explain and what can it predict in terms of the scope of Universe we ever have a hope of grasping?

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Imagining the Tenth Dimension (Flash) [Re: Viveka]
    #5864655 - 07/16/06 08:37 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

What can we derive from string theory that is actually useful to humanity

Imagine travel being possible at an instant speed (as seen from our dimension) or make the tastiest slice of apple pie of any possible universe appear on your mousepad. :laugh:

Seriously, if we could devise a way to fold/move through higher dimensions, we would have more power in reality than most people ascribe to the God they worship.

I find it EXTREMELY gratifying that each of these dimensional descriptions has in some guise or another has popped up in my personal quest for knowing the nature of the All, without having lifted it off existing theories. It shows me I might indeed be on the right track, and the track I'm thinking along, which I can't disprove, provides each and every one of us with a reward greater than heaven itself :sun:

It would be very elegant if the points in Dimension Zero are manifestations of the point that is Dimension Ten, thus having the snake bite its tail.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Edited by Asante (07/16/06 08:42 AM)

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
    #5864665 - 07/16/06 08:42 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

That's like asking why Neo spends all that time fucking around with a perfectly good matrix.

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: Imagining the Tenth Dimension (Flash) [Re: Asante]
    #5865298 - 07/16/06 12:10 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

It shows me I might indeed be on the right track, and the track I'm thinking along, which I can't disprove, provides each and every one of us with a reward greater than heaven itself

And that's just my point. Is string theory falsifiable in any way? Are there experiments that can display how super strings comprise matter and plancks make up sub atomic particles? It just seems like a radically abstract theory that is entirely untestable. If the model is valued because it aligns with mystical ways of thinking about the Universe and it's unfalsifiable, then it's useful as a mystical abstract, not a scientific theory. Unless your goal is to somehow de-empiricize science, in which case you're already going to have to throw out string theory bacuse notions of planck lengths, strings, bosons and branes are all anchored in an emprical model of the Universe.

As far as the fantastic awards you speak of, wouldn't heaven be a state of no craving for reward? So you get your intergalactic desserts, then what? What will it take to satisfy a meglomaniacal humanity whose power is so great it can fold dimensions at will and have sex with God's mom if it want's to?

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: Imagining the Tenth Dimension (Flash) [Re: Ythan]
    #5865325 - 07/16/06 12:17 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe that's why the last two movies sucked so hard.  Neo was trying too hard to make something out of nothing? :smirk:

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#5866058 - 07/16/06 04:25 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Are there experiments that can display how super strings comprise matter and plancks make up sub atomic particles?

Should a very promising theory be dropped because no proof can be given at the very conception of said theory?

Quote:

It just seems like a radically abstract theory that is entirely untestable.

As the theory advances there inevitably will be experiments the outcome of which can be predicted with this theory over all others, if it is indeed correct. You can't eat the cake when you're still kneading the dough.

Quote:

As far as the fantastic awards you speak of, wouldn't heaven be a state of no craving for reward?

Umm..

Quote:

What will it take to satisfy a meglomaniacal humanity whose power is so great it can fold dimensions at will and have sex with God's mom if it want's to?

You are thinking in terms of personal gratification. Think what we can do for others if we can do so much more ourselves than we can do now.

And as for the "megalomaniac" side of things: Do you feel we should not make use of such higher knowledge if we found it? Like in alchemy, scientific experiments change the experimenter too. We are becoming more and more able to meet our needs, and when personal needs are met emphatic envolvement will increase.

I don't think humanity is megalomaniac, but rather has capabilities beyond our wildest dreams.

Or are you concerned about science and spirituality going hand in hand?

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
Re: Imagining the Tenth Dimension (Flash) [Re: Asante]
    #5866124 - 07/16/06 04:42 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:

Quote:

It just seems like a radically abstract theory that is entirely untestable.

As the theory advances there inevitably will be experiments the outcome of which can be predicted with this theory over all others, if it is indeed correct. You can't eat the cake when you're still kneading the dough.

if the theory was correct, you COULD eat the cake while still kneading the dough, no?

peace

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Imagining the Tenth Dimension (Flash) [Re: supra]
    #5866145 - 07/16/06 04:52 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Only if you could apply said theory. :wink:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5866283 - 07/16/06 05:22 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I somewhat agree with this article:

Quote:

Nobel physicist Wolfgang Pauli didn't suffer fools gladly. Fond of calling colleagues' work "wrong" or "completely wrong," he saved his worst epithet for work so sloppy and speculative it is "not even wrong."

That's how mathematician Peter Woit of Columbia University describes string theory. In his book, "Not Even Wrong," published in the U.K. this month and due in the U.S. in September, he calls the theory "a disaster for physics."

. . .

String theory, proponents said, could reconcile quantum mechanics (the physics of subatomic particles) and gravity, the longest-distance force in the universe. That impressed particle physicists no end. In the 1980s, most jumped on the string bandwagon and since then, stringsters have written thousands of papers.

But one thing they haven't done is coax a single prediction from their theory. In fact, "theory" is a misnomer, since unlike general relativity theory or quantum theory, string theory is not a concise set of solvable equations describing the behavior of the physical world. It's more of an idea or a framework.

. . .

That string theory abandoned testable predictions may be its ultimate betrayal of science.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/articleArchive/jun2006/notevenwrong.php

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order