Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
CNN article about psilocybin
    #5845876 - 07/11/06 05:20 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

This is a CNN article about a study just published in the journal Psychopharmacology. It's an amazingly positive article about our favorite mind altering chemical.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/07/10/psychedelic.research.ap/index.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: CNN article about psilocybin [Re: xmush]
    #5845916 - 07/11/06 05:56 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

It was also in the Seattloe Times. There are some historical errors in this article and the fact that for several years MAPS has been conducting research with psilocybine and other drugs. So the article has errors in it.

The Mazatecs have been using thses mushrooms for over 3,000 years. Not one thousand as written inthe article. There are other erroras also. Ritalin is like speed and coke users love it. Speed is nothing like shroms .. Pretty stupid comparison if you asked me.

mjshroomer

btw, this belongs in the news stories items inthe other forum. Not int he shroom hunting forum.

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: CNN article about psilocybin [Re: mjshroomer]
    #5845938 - 07/11/06 06:21 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

that was so positive!!!!! pre cheers to the writer!!!!

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Re: CNN article about psilocybin [Re: mjshroomer]
    #5846089 - 07/11/06 08:23 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Oops, you're right, I should have put this in another forum. But this is the only one that I read and it's where all of my internet friends are, so I wanted to share it. I don't see any mention of only 1000 year use in the article, and the actual journal article mentions that it has been used for millenia. Regarding the ritalin use, I wouldn't begin to criticize a study-design based only on what I read in the newspaper. The rational of the authors is that the onset and duration of effects between psilocybin and ritalin are nearly the same, and that there is some subjective overlap of effects between the drugs (nervousness, excitability, and positive mood). They also wanted to use a different drug to assess the effect of 'expectancy' on the effect of psilocybin, i.e. how your expectations can color your trip.

Edited by xmush (07/11/06 08:31 AM)

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #5846129 - 07/11/06 08:42 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Excellent! Thank you xmush, I otherwise probably would've missed this article.

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflinedeXtrous
complete tool
Male

Loc: Australia
Re: CNN article about psilocybin [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #5846136 - 07/11/06 08:47 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

This is already posted in the pub.

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
    #5846180 - 07/11/06 09:08 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Cool study! Where do I sign up :cool:?

But I have to agree.  I only do phsychedelics on average of 1-2 times a month.  Each one leaves me with more questions being asked, some being answered, more "insights" if I dare to stay.

"It's fucking crazy all that separates now and then comes with a tick of a clock. "

--------------------
yawn...
SG

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Re: CNN article about psilocybin [Re: deXtrous]
    #5846181 - 07/11/06 09:08 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

deXtrous said:
This is already posted in the pub.

Indeed, and there's a pretty good discussion in there. Check it out! Thanks for pointing that out Dextrous

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #5846242 - 07/11/06 09:44 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I do not think this article does the study justice.  It is nonspecific, and makes me skeptical of the study because the author of the article was too vague.  I am curious why they used Ritalin instead of a placebo...
I take Adderall, a drug which works on the nervous system the same way that Ritalin does.  They are both "speed".  I do not percieve any similarity in the effects of amphetamine, as compared to psilocybin. 

I am glad you posted this here, Xmush!!  I would not have seen it elsewhere.  :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleFeanor
 User Gallery

Re: CNN article about psilocybin [Re: CureCat]
    #5846550 - 07/11/06 11:27 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup: Two thumbs up!  :thumbup:

--------------------

May Terence McKenna Live Long

The DMT Chronicles

Offlineavionando
Fungoid

Loc: The wonderful Pacific Nor...
Re: CNN article about psilocybin [Re: Feanor]
    #5848610 - 07/11/06 08:54 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

This is what I've been trying to tell them all along!!!!

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #5848643 - 07/11/06 09:03 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I put a link to that in the geokills pub sticky also. At least I think it's the same article. :crazy:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5795724#Post5795724

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: CNN article about psilocybin [Re: eris]
    #5849332 - 07/11/06 11:38 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Me and Ryankerr saw that on the news today on CNN, we were talking about poppies and my mushy sence started tingling, i point at the TV and he leaps up and cranks it, alas, it was a tease. all they said was many participants found the testing to be extremely uncomfortable.

OfflineBluntman4420
The Blunt king
Male User Gallery
Re: CNN article about psilocybin [Re: Mitchnast]
    #5849893 - 07/12/06 05:37 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Nice post. idk if i read it here or another site it was about this same thing.. but it was frist hand by someone that was in one of the test.. he said that he was one out of 12 ppl .. 6 got the real thing and the other 6 just got a sugar pill. then he talked about how when the research founding droped . they still did there own "underground".
Ill see if i can find where i read this at. :stoned:

Edited by Bluntman4420 (07/12/06 05:40 AM)

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
Re: CNN article about psilocybin [Re: Mitchnast]
    #5850756 - 07/12/06 12:55 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Mitchnast said:
Me and Ryankerr saw that on the news today on CNN, we were talking about poppies and my mushy sence started tingling, i point at the TV and he leaps up and cranks it, alas, it was a tease. all they said was many participants found the testing to be extremely uncomfortable.

I bet they tested average "JOE" from his cracker box office job.. Never has done a drug in his life and is afraid of what a beer makes him feel like to take part in the mushroom test..

Gee I wonder why they had such Dark trips...LOL

Now do a study with members from a web sight such as this one and see where your study goes from there!
:wink:

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: CNN article about psilocybin [Re: YESSUP]
    #5850790 - 07/12/06 01:13 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

YESSUP said:
Quote:

Mitchnast said:

I bet they tested average "JOE" from his cracker box office job.. Never has done a drug in his life and is afraid of what a beer makes him feel like to take part in the mushroom test..

Gee I wonder why they had such Dark trips...LOL

Now do a study with members from a web sight such as this one and see where your study goes from there!
:wink:

You know, personally, approximately half of all my experiences with mushrooms have been terrifying.  For some reason, it hasn't deterred me from seeking the trip.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate