Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezadaka
Stranger
Possible Amanita Muscaria, maybe var alba?
    #5844056 - 07/10/06 07:56 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

for some reason entire text of page got posted rm'd--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are posting an identification request, it is critical that you describe mushrooms fully and accurately in order to get a proper identification.

A good picture of the mushrooms is invaluable, but not required.
Along with the pictures YOU ARE REQUIRED to provide the following data:

Habitat (where [woods, pasture, state,province,country, altitude] and what [soil, dung, wood (dead, living, what kind of wood?)] does it grow on)
Characteristics of the gills (color, attached/not, gills/pores, etc)
Characteristics of the stem (length, diameter, color, texture, hollow/solid, thin/thick, etc)
Characteristics of the cap (diameter,color, texture, conical/spherical, convex/concave, etc)
Spore print color (very important!)
Color that the mushroom bruises
Scent of the mushroom
Anything else you might find important

ok i might post back w/ a picture later but i dont have my camera on me.
The stem: i dont know any of those weird convex/cone or w/e words im sorry, so at the bottom of the steam it is white, and has a cup, almost like a flower where the mushroom blooms out. it also has alot of ridge-like things going horizontally across the stem. at first i didnt see gills but then i saw they were covered by a thin white veil. the white gills appear to be going kind of into the stem so that the stem overlaps them but they dont look like theyre attached to the stem. at the very center of the gills it seems to have kind of gradient where it turns to a rusty cinnaminy color. The cap points upware like an arrow but has a more dull tip, also as it goes in it seems to turn to a rusty cinnaminy color from the light tan of the mushroom.
On the cap it also has multipple little speckles that are close together all over the cap. theyre nowhere else on the mushroom but the cap. They are very small and have a really smooth texture, where the cap of the mushroom is pretty smooth overall except for te speckles.
The Stem is not hollow.
i found these growing under a pine tree next to the road but a bit far from it. at the time the area has had a lot of rainy on and off days and tons of mushrooms are growing in my front yard which is pretty much encased in the foliage of a massive oak tree.
The mushrooms were growing near/at the base of the tree
like i said the edges of the cap are a light tan and as it goes to the middle it turns rusty and cinnamon-like. the 2 mushrooms were growing next to each other, one seems to be a bit young and the other is maturing but not big or old.
found in maryland at base of a pine tree

im sorry if this is vague i really wish i had my camera buut i might post pics soon
-zdk

Edited by zadaka (07/10/06 08:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Possible Amanita Muscaria, maybe var alba? [Re: zadaka]
    #5844077 - 07/10/06 08:02 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Hopefully you can get pictures. It's hard to feel safe guessing on just a description when it comes to Amanitas. Especially when there is the possibility of making errors and the fact that we are dealing with a genus that contains poisonous and deadly mushrooms.

The habitat that you described sounds right for Muscaria though.

The base of the stem is one of the most important identification features for Muscaria.

Here are some pics of Amanita muscaria.

http://www.shroomery.org/wiki/pmwiki.php/Hunting/AmanitaMuscariaVarFormosa

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Offlinezadaka
Stranger
Re: Possible Amanita Muscaria, maybe var alba? [Re: eris]
    #5844087 - 07/10/06 08:05 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Edited by zadaka (07/10/06 08:10 PM)

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Possible Amanita Muscaria, maybe var alba? [Re: zadaka]
    #5844603 - 07/10/06 09:51 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

zadaka said:
edit: it looks like in the last pic that the veil falls off and makes that flare-outward thing?

Exactly. Was the veil of your mushroom still attached to the cap when you found it?

So you are aware, I highly doubt anyone in their right mind on this forum, will affirm an ID of any Amanita without a photo.

--------------------

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Possible Amanita Muscaria, maybe var alba? [Re: CureCat]
    #5844651 - 07/10/06 10:03 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I rarely ever bother with species ID's on Amanitas even when I recognize them. Just because there are so many Amanita species in north America that it's crazy. Many of which have not been well documented or studied.

I would suggest that nobody try to give exact species IDs for Amanitas.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order