Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
hydrated lime vs baking soda?
    #5841046 - 07/10/06 12:21 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I was just sitting here, stoned, and all of a sudden I remembered that I use baking soda to neutralize battery acid and to clean my battery terminals and it works really damn good. So why the hell not use it in your casing mix instead of hydrated lime (which i have yet to find, goddamn stores only have dolomite lime pellets). And hyphae's 2 dollar oyster powder ended up being 13 dollar oyster powder... Kind of misleading (they have a small order charge, 2.99 for oyster flour, 5 dollar small order charge, 5 dollars shipping)

I did a few searches, and the only ones I found really interesting was someone used it to neutralize metabolites (and it worked) and someone used it to kill trich(and it worked) and then another person asked about using it in a casing mix, and no one gave the poor guy a reasonable answer.

So here it is... Why not use this dollar per pound, available in every grocery store, wonderful neutralizing powder with a ph of 8.6?

P.S. I love you.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefaceyneck
Legitimate Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: upper body area
Re: hydrated lime vs baking soda? [Re: liamtheloser]
    #5841187 - 07/10/06 01:14 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Seems like it would work. But wouldn't it only work as a short-term buffer anyway, requiring you to use a longer buffer, like oyster shells, or that coral stuff?

--------------------
Anything posted here, is total bullshit.
My Meyers-Briggs Personality: INTJ
New growers, or anyone else just needing help; I'm always glad to help right here. :grin:

We give cultivation advice here. :super:

AMU Q & A - We're glad to help
My Doggy Door Greenhouse!          First Ever Shmuvbox Tek!          Do Manure Right!

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #5841194 - 07/10/06 01:16 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I use it to pH media. It also works good if you run out of antacids. Just take couple big pinches of it and wash it down with something.

It doesn't kill myc or anything if that's what you're asking. Never tried it in casing or substrate though.

-FF

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: hydrated lime vs baking soda? [Re: fastfred]
    #5841205 - 07/10/06 01:19 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

> But wouldn't it only work as a short-term buffer anyway, requiring you to use a longer buffer, like oyster shells, or that coral stuff?

It will buffer until it's gone, so if you need more buffering capacity just use more.

-FF

Offlinefaceyneck
Legitimate Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: upper body area
Re: hydrated lime vs baking soda? [Re: fastfred]
    #5841207 - 07/10/06 01:20 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Ah, I see.

--------------------
Anything posted here, is total bullshit.
My Meyers-Briggs Personality: INTJ
New growers, or anyone else just needing help; I'm always glad to help right here. :grin:

We give cultivation advice here. :super:

AMU Q & A - We're glad to help
My Doggy Door Greenhouse!          First Ever Shmuvbox Tek!          Do Manure Right!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: hydrated lime vs baking soda? [Re: faceyneck]
    #5841625 - 07/10/06 07:56 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Baking soda has salts, that's why it's called soda. Don't use it in mycology.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
Re: hydrated lime vs baking soda? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5841671 - 07/10/06 08:43 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

But doesn't lime also break down into salts? I was under the impression that was the case... or were you actually referring to sodium salts.

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5856638 - 07/14/06 12:26 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

> Baking soda has salts, that's why it's called soda. Don't use it in mycology.

Ha, you beat me to it RR! I was thinking about the baking soda question and kept thinking that you shouldn't use too much baking soda. Finally I remembered that it's got sodium in it which is not good.

If you want to pH media with a tiny bit of it I think it's fine, but you definitely shouldn't use too much, or as much as you would want to use in a casing mix.

-FF

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale