Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
How much better are studio monitors?
    #5840005 - 07/09/06 07:19 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I'm looking into possibly purchasing some studio monitors.. seeing as how I listen to so much music it only makes sense. Get the best sound.

Right now I have Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. Got them like 5 years ago, but they are still great. After having them for 4 years, they still really impressed me with their quality when I used them for a trip sessions. Speakers 10 ft apart with woofer in the middle, on the floor. Excellent.

But anyways Im going on here... shit

I was looking at these monitors:
M-Audio Studiophile LX4 2.1

Anyone else have any good suggestions when it comes to monitors?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: How much better are studio monitors? [Re: adamj]
    #5841045 - 07/10/06 12:21 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Is this just to use as speakers for your computer?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: How much better are studio monitors? [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #5841340 - 07/10/06 03:05 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

You'd get a better answer from another forum situated for such things... like Stereophile.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #5842774 - 07/10/06 02:55 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

How good are you ears? I use studio monitors and a reference amplifier for mixing and such. If your ears are good and you can hear the difference, then studio monitors are a good way to go. If you have blown your ears, then studio monitors are a waste of money. A lot of people won't like the sound produced by studio monitors... the sound will be described as flat. This is because the listeners are used to hearing distorted bass, not because there is a problem with the system.

Remember, speakers are only as good as what drives them. The best place to spend your money is on wire. Start with good, expensive, speaker wire. I'm not talking "monster cable" here... get some good wire. Patch cables are also important. Anymore, with digital, they are seen a lot less. I have found the best patch cables to be homemade out of microphone cable. Don't make them any longer than they have to be.

The real answer boils down to what sounds good to you. For CDs (and certanly MP3) music, you probably wont be able to tell much of a difference. If you are listening to vinyl, or SACDs, and you have good ears, then the studio monitors are worth it.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: How much better are studio monitors? [Re: Seuss]
    #5843275 - 07/10/06 04:51 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I had a whole write up about this before I realized he was intending on using these for his computer.

Yeah, for the most part, it definitely wouldn't be worth it. Some people I've talked to seem to think that monitors are just the shit, better than anything considered "just a speaker". Probably because they've only heard them in a studio. They don't realize that what they were listening to was probably in a completely uncompressed format and still tracked out. Given the same input on a conventional stereo of decent quality, you'll get the same sound.

Use that on a quality system you'd buy from any specialty retailer and you'll realize that speakers have by far the better sound.

Monitors are designed for a flat response as Suess said to facilitate mixing. You have get the levels right with your equipment in order for it sound right. If you're listening to music that hasn't been professionally mixed, it's probably going to sound worse.

To me it seems the only reason to buy the monitors is for the built-in amps if you're going to use this with your computer.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #5845927 - 07/11/06 06:14 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

> I had a whole write up about this before I realized he was intending on using these for his computer.

Oh... I missed that part.  :rolleyes:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: How much better are studio monitors? [Re: Seuss]
    #5846177 - 07/11/06 09:05 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Hey, I was just saying. :frown:

I was going into more the sound quality bit because he claimed they sounded the best.  It was a more in depth explanation as to the benefits/purpose of monitors vs. speakers.  After I typed it up I then realized why he wanted monitors and it all just seemed like a moot point.

But I see how that may have a sounded and hope you graciously accept my sincere apology as that was not what I intended.

--------------------

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
    #5846696 - 07/11/06 12:11 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Well I do also create and mix music with multiple tracks. Mind you I still have a lot of learning to do when it comes to mastering.. hopefully this coming year I'll be accepted into a music course.

but anyways, what interested me about monitors was that people would buy them and then say "I spent days just listening to music because it sounded so amazing"

But I understand what you're trying to say what their main purpose is for.

So to top it off,

Buying them will only benefit me when I create my music. It'll help so it only makes sense to purchase some sooner rather than later.
But will it also benefit my listening experience when I throw on say Pink Floyd DSOTM? Boston? Led Zeppelin How the West was Won? etc.

*EDIT*

Ah shit nevermind. I just re-read the thread and understood what everyone is saying.

Edited by adamj (07/11/06 12:14 PM)

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
    #5848364 - 07/11/06 07:39 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

One other thing to take into account is acoustics.
If your room isn't really suited to be an stuido but more like a normal room, the acoustics will be so bad that no matter what you're hearing, it will sound a lot worse than it should.
Therefore you should take into account if speding up to hundreds of $ is worth it by judging the listening area.

Myself, I am recording my first album on a computer with -believe or not- creative speakers, mostly because the acoustics in my living room are so bad. They're good enough to record and pre-mix, and even to try some amateur mastering, but when the time comes for mastering I WILL take it into a studio.

Simply put, there's no way an average listening room will have enough good acoustics to validate the purchase of studio monitors at all.

PS:Those speakers aren't even real monitors IMHO -they spec sheet doesn't talk too good for these little fellows-

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

Edited by Colonel Kurtz Ph.D (07/11/06 07:43 PM)

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: How much better are studio monitors? [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #5851061 - 07/12/06 02:44 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

technically, you dont need studio monitors unless you are mixing the music itself.

i would suggest just some high-end house speakers.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies