Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
Another gas exchange ?
    #5830347 - 07/07/06 01:40 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

THIS IS NOT THE REAL POST I INTENDED. THE REAL ONE IS DOWN A LITTLE DIREGAURD THIS ONE.
I've been reading some of the gas exchange post's around here, Only becuse i noticed my WBS isn't colonizing as fast as thouht. It's day 5, And there are only about 2-4 nickle sized spots and few other small areas. and the bottom of the jar around the edge is ringed with mycelium. My jars sat for about 8 days at room temp or slightly less (68 degrees) in total darkness with lids on very tight. then after i inoculated then, i slightly losend them. but i'm not sure if turned them enough. The jars are pint size. with 2 1/8

Edited by 19741974 (07/07/06 02:18 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Another gas exchange ? [Re: 19741974]
    #5830372 - 07/07/06 01:52 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

somthing happend here. I wrote a lot lot more than what's showing here. not sure where it went. ganna have to do it again.

OfflineComfortablyStond
Mr. Lizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Psychedelphia, USA
    #5830381 - 07/07/06 01:58 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

At what temp are you incubating them? And if it's only been 5 days since inoculation, don't bother them for a couple more days in darkness. These things take time. It's best not to even peek for the first 4 or 5 days. Patience, my friend.
Peace.

--------------------
"It's not a war on drugs. It's a war on personal freedom. Keep that in mind at all times..." Bill Hicks

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5830401 - 07/07/06 02:08 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I've been reading some of the gas exchange post's around here, Only becuse i noticed my WBS isn't colonizing as fast as thouht. It's day 5, And there are only about 2-4 nickle sized spots and few other small areas. and the bottom of the jar around the edge is ringed with mycelium. My jars sat for about 8 days at room temp or slightly less (68 degrees) in total darkness with lids on very tight. then after i inoculated then, i slightly losend them. but i'm not sure if turned them enough. The jars are pint size. with 2 1/8 holes on each side for the needle to fit. My WBS seed was soaked for 14 hrs., than simmered for 15 min., then strained for 2 min. while bouncing, then i mixed the wetter seeds on the bottom with the drier seeds at the top to make things more even. Then PC'd for 70 min. at 15 Psi. with the rings slightly loose. Then waited 4 hours. Then inoculated them. and for in a box in darkness at 88 degrees. There are a few nickle sized spots and a few other small ones. The bottom of the jar around the edge in filling up with mycelium. I don't see any contams yet.

I have a few questions before i go.

1. You can buy keybaord cleaner for your computer that is compressed Co2. Can i sqirt some in the jar. or is Co2 not nessesary, just as long as there is gas exchange?

2. Is it possible that a temp of 90 degrees is too hot?

3. Is the tyvek i here around here the same stuff you use for covering plywood on new constructed houses?

4. My strain is KOH Samui super strain is that a slow growing strain?

5. I'm useing only tinfoil to cover the jars. Is that good enough?

Sorry so long. Hopefully one day i get this stuff down pat. and then i can help others out here. Thanx for any replies.

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5830410 - 07/07/06 02:11 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I inoculated then at room temp. Iv'e also looked at my jars about 20 times now for short periods, mostly in artificial light. How much light exposure is too much? Thanx Comfortablystond

Offlinemajlo
crazy
Male User Gallery

#5830762 - 07/07/06 07:52 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

what the fuck???

take it easy man and read some tek before u ask such questions

i first read then tried and then i started making posts with (stupid) QUESTIONS

READ AND STICK TO WHAT YOU+VE READ

it fucking works if u stick to the procedure even with slight deviations

GL

--------------------
Come see our country, but don't stay too long :smile:

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Another gas exchange ? [Re: majlo]
    #5830880 - 07/07/06 09:12 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Woh! What the fuch man. I started my project before i came here. And like said in my first line. I was reading around here. But i did'nt find a specific answer to my problem. What the hell are all these post here for. There questions just like mine. But the answers to there's don't start off with, What the fuck man! If i had a question that didn't need to be answered for a while. I would of waited to wright. Any body else want to kick my door in?

OfflinePsiloptile
a legal alien
Male User Gallery

#5830931 - 07/07/06 09:43 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Myc likes O2 not CO2.. Temps are ok, but somewhere around 85 is primo. Also, you're supposed to shake the jar to spread the mycelium around. That way they'll colonize faster.

--------------------
Everything I write is false.. I made it up.. Or did I? Yep.. I did.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Another gas exchange ? [Re: Psiloptile]
    #5830940 - 07/07/06 09:52 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

You're going to need some sort of filter on your jars to allow gas exchange without contaminants entering. The mycelium produces CO2 just as you do when you exhale. The gas exchange is required to get rid of some of that so they don't suffocate.

Don't incubate at over 80F or you'll stimulate contaminant molds and bacteria over mushroom mycelium. A few nickel sized growths is normal for five days.

There are no negative effects of looking at your jars in the light. Light has little to no effect on colonizing mycelium. The total darkness thing is outdated and incorrect. I doubt seriously they'll finish without contamination if all you have is foil over the jars. Good luck.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Another gas exchange ? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5830970 - 07/07/06 10:15 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I think i just found out the hard way. I just shook my jars for the first time, and i noticed that one jar looked as if it were burnt on the bottom inch or so on the inside. Not the glass but the bottom part of the substraight and after shaking that jar i noticed what looks like a dark brown mold and it also looks like there are thousands of spores on the substraight and on the glass all over. It looks just like spores in a syringe. only 100 times more. Any idea of what would have caused this? Thanx for your help guys.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #5831083 - 07/07/06 11:09 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Probably black pin mold. Mold spores are in the air everywhere, and that's the reason you need filters. I recommend the synthetic filter disks over any other method. I have some that are many years old and have been used hundreds, if not thousands of times.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Another gas exchange ? [Re: Psiloptile]
    #5833349 - 07/07/06 09:04 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Psiloptile said:
Myc likes O2 not CO2.. Temps are ok, but somewhere around 85 is primo. Also, you're supposed to shake the jar to spread the mycelium around. That way they'll colonize faster.

FYI myc thrives (vegetively) in higher CO2 concentrations bro then lowering the concentrations helps trigger fruitbodies.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Another gas exchange ? [Re: hyphae]
    #5833982 - 07/08/06 12:45 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

if the myc thrives with more C02. then the answer to the question about adding some extra Co2 during the Veg state is yes and would help. Is that correct? and then lowering it during fruiting. Thanx guys. I started off with 6 pint jars and now down to 5. The 5 look good still. Should i shake them 1 time a day or every 2 days? I heard that you should shake once after innoculating them and wait 5 days before you do second shake. and then every day, 1 time. but everybody says somthing differnt. Oh, and what is FYI mean. soon i will learn Abbr's and slang around here. HA, HA. See ya.

Edited by 19741974 (07/08/06 12:47 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #5834369 - 07/08/06 05:32 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

You only need to shake once at about 20% to 30% colonization. Don't shake more than twice the whole time. You can bang the jars against a tire a few to help break up the grains.

Reduce the temperature. You have them too hot. Don't go over 80 because I've seen grain jars produce anywhere from two to five degrees of heat on their own above ambient.

Don't add CO2. The mycelium produces it just like you do when you exhale. The venting of your jars is to allow the excess CO2 to escape.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5834439 - 07/08/06 07:40 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

As RR said myc produces just what it needs no need to helpout nature here she has it well under control bro :wink:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offline19741974
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5834549 - 07/08/06 09:22 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

So far i was told to drop the temp a little. And that myc like O2 not CO2, And that's it's ok to look at them in the light. If you ask my those are perfect conditions for pinnig, while my stuff is still in the jar. Those statments were not meant to be rude at all. But that's why i ask so many questions. because everyboy including the tek's contradict each other. As an exsample the next time i start a substraight i'm going to use tyvek. So i look around and some say put tyvek under the lid, some say over the lid, some say 2 layers some say 2 layers won,t let it vent good enough. Thank for the replies.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5838266 - 07/09/06 10:34 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

There are straight forward procedures that are the way it is straying from these will only hurt yield as well as consistency. You do not want pinning while the substrate is still in the jars that is not of any benefit at all. There is alot of info here that really needs to be absorbed before it can truly be understood. Are you growing in-vitro? If so then that is the only time you want pinning in the jars. As  far as your tyvek one layer is all thats needed and will allow maximum gas exchange one benefit of under the lid is it keeps lids from rusting a little longer which is the way I've always preferred although I've also went with over the lid which works just as well IME. Read read read then  see what the general consensus is, I'm just here to keep you on the right path to success although there are always more than one way to get there this is tried and true guaranteed. You are totally correct a drop in temps as well as CO2 levels combined with exposure to light do indeed create an environment conducive to pinning. Give yourself time to understand what you have read and remember experience is your best teacher! GL bro :wink:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Offlinemajlo
crazy
Male User Gallery

#5880573 - 07/20/06 07:31 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

YOUR PROFILE 197something......

Email Picture
Member # 160130
Name
Title Stranger
Total Posts 43
Homepage
Occupation
Hobbies
ICQ Number
AIM Screen Name
MSN Messenger Address
Yahoo! Messenger ID
Skype Name
Registered On 06/18/06 09:56 PM
Last Seen 07/20/06 05:30 AM

AM I STUPID OR IS SOMEONE ELSE????

19741974 READ PLEASE BEFORE YOU TYPE ANYTHING!
people are helping you here and you're not listening to them

HYPHAE is THE one you SHOULD listen to!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Come see our country, but don't stay too long :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder