Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineomnikk
Stranger
 User Gallery
Lepiota Americana
    #5811166 - 07/01/06 11:10 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I've previously made a post (titles "I've spent hours. Please help identify") asking for identification. I (think) I've identified the mushroom. "Lepiota Americana". Someone had mentioned "Lepiota Spheniscispora". Because of the fact that I'm too tired too care... I'm not sure if these are the same thing. Either way I was curious to know if anyone has eaten these or even is aware of what chemicals these may contain.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleshroominDole
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: O.C . S o. C a l .
Re: Lepiota Americana [Re: omnikk]
    #5811223 - 07/01/06 11:40 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Reddish bruising Lepiota are among the deadliest of all mushrooms and very difficult to differentiate.....not a good place to start eating wild mushrooms I feel without some years of experience....one little bite can bubble your liver ( and other things ) like salt on a snail which is why these ones are good to learn starting out.

You want to start studying about Agaricus which grow everywhere and are much safer

--------------------
Worlds Largest 'Liberty Cap' (Cali Libs Confirmed !)
' Comments On Hallucinogenic Agarics And The Hallucinations Of Those Who Study Them '
Alexander H. Smith
Mycologia vol.69 1977

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Lepiota Americana [Re: omnikk]
    #5811292 - 07/02/06 12:09 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I'm going to second all that.

Any genus that has deadly poisonous species is one that should be avoided until you have some experience in identification. Mistakes are too costly.

A good group of mushrooms for beginners are the boletes. Almost all mushrooms with a cap and stem, growing from the ground (not wood), and with tubes under the cap that can be peeled from the cap (instead of gills) are boletes. All poisonous boletes in North America have red or orange tubes or tube mouths, bruise blue (to green), or both. If you find a bolete and the tubes have no red or orange, and it doesn't bruise blue to green, then it's not poisonous. Some of these will be inedible because of flavor (peppery or bitter for example) or texture, but they won't be poisonous.

The boletes include some of the very best mushrooms around for eating. Boletus edulis is a common mushroom and very much worth hunting for.

There are several genera included in the boletes. Among them are Boletus, Suillus, Leccinum, Gyroporus, and Tylopilus.

Finally, remember that *all* wild mushrooms should be thoroughly cooked before eating. Many edible species have toxins in them that are destroyed by the heat. Some edible mushrooms are fairly poisonous if eaten raw.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds