Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
P. semilanceata in summer...(???)
    #5794452 - 06/26/06 11:40 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Yup, we got about 5 min of drizzle the other day (thats the only rain we've had in weeks ::sob::), and I decided to check my favourite grassy area, and see if anything had sprung up.  I was disappointed and ready to leave, when i noticed just two little caps.  And to my luck, they were libs!  I spent a few more minutes scouring the grass and collected a couple more liberty caps and a few subbs.  Left a couple pins behind, hoping for more rain.  First time hunting in weeks, in part because of the weather, and also because I am moving to a new house and just don't have any time really.  If I seem absent from the board, that is why.  Anyway, this is the only place I have found any Psilocybe semilanceata, and it's rather strange I have found any at all, seeing as they are a fall mushroom.  Oh weeell, these ones are early, and I'm not complaining.  :grin:
Here are some sucky camera pics.

a meek collection of subbs.

And a few liberty caps

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerastausty
Mountaineer Fan
 User Gallery
Loc: Morgantown, WV
Re: P. semilanceata in summer...(???) [Re: CureCat]
    #5794479 - 06/26/06 11:53 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

very nice indeed

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: P. semilanceata in summer...(???) *DELETED* [Re: CureCat]
    #5794818 - 06/27/06 02:39 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by bluemeanie

Reason for deletion: nk

--------------------

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: P. semilanceata in summer...(???) [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #5794887 - 06/27/06 03:52 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I would but they don't print!  :frown: :frown:  I've tried- see, look how the caps are all folded near the stipe... I tried "butterflying" a couple of the caps and laying them down to print last time I found some, and I got nothing.  Basically, cross sectioned the caps with a little unsevered material at the tip of the cap and layed the cap gills down on paper.  There was one little tiny cap that wasn't completely folded, so i am trying to print that one, but last time i checked, nothing was on the paper.
If you'd like, I can send you a piece of dried tissue, and you can try and clone?  Only issue is that they are not in a contam free environment, so it might be tricky.  Lemme know.  :smile:

--------------------

OfflineThe_Appalachain
Major Tom
Male User Gallery

Loc: mid NC
    #5794972 - 06/27/06 06:04 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Thats wild stuff! Not to second guess you or anything but how are you sure that those are semilanceata? They look like my idea of what semilanceata would look like but I'm just not so sure due to lack of personal experience with them. What is the defining characteristic that makes one say "aha! Semilanceata!" ?

--------------------
I'm floating in a most peculiar way... and the stars look very different today --David Bowie

InvisibleMead

Re: P. semilanceata in summer...(???) *DELETED* [Re: The_Appalachain]
    #5795037 - 06/27/06 07:20 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by Mead

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: P. semilanceata in summer...(???) [Re: Mead]
    #5795048 - 06/27/06 07:27 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

does it have a separable pellicle?
i can tell you they definately arent semis.
if they bruise blue, they are probably baeos, if not, then who knows withought a print?

InvisibleshroominDole
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: O.C . S o. C a l .
Re: P. semilanceata in summer...(???) [Re: Mitchnast]
    #5796493 - 06/27/06 05:19 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

No seperable pellicle, not transluscent straite, basically dry maybe slightly viscid when moist at best, def not LIBs as mentioned.....these have typically been one of our most commonly encountered shrooms when finding Panaeolus subbalteatus in lawns in this area along side Panaeolina foenisecii, Conocybe, and various other black spored Panaeolus......and like SUBBs they grow in all types of lawns in parks, schools, buisiness, yards, etc.......and like SUBBs not just well kept, well fed healthy lawns or fairly recent sod but poor older established and unkept as long as they're green.....there have been along with Meade others posting these recently while finding lawn dwelling SUBBs and its good to see these also occur elsewhere in the U.S. especially the east as this is one I've always really wanted to look into further into this shroom a few years back and never did......Ive always just considered it definately a different type of mushroom probably very close to the Panaeolus papillionaceus - campanulatus - sphinctrinus complex as it is sometimes with an appendiculate margin which collapses toward the stem two characteristic hallmarks so common to different forms of the group...

This ones always been intriguing. :confused:.....Im sure tons of these have been sent to Guzman and Stamets over the years...

--------------------
Worlds Largest 'Liberty Cap' (Cali Libs Confirmed !)
' Comments On Hallucinogenic Agarics And The Hallucinations Of Those Who Study Them '
Alexander H. Smith
Mycologia vol.69 1977

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #5797399 - 06/27/06 09:39 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I suspect the ones I was working with are active but not in the Genus Psilocybe. I need to go back and do some more work on those since they were cultivatable.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4656425#Post4656425

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

InvisibleFeanor
 User Gallery

Re: P. semilanceata in summer...(???) [Re: Workman]
    #5797496 - 06/27/06 10:15 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Nice find!  :thumbup:

--------------------

May Terence McKenna Live Long

The DMT Chronicles

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: P. semilanceata in summer...(???) [Re: Feanor]
    #5798397 - 06/28/06 04:16 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Wow, this is very interesting news.
They are definitely not Psilocybe baeocystis. The cap of P. baeocystis flattens much more in maturity, whereas these suckers do not. I have not noted any bluing either. I checked out those links from both Mead and Workman- those look like what I have found. I browsed around and found two other links to previous bulletins depicting the same mushrooms. It seems I am not the first to misidentify... So, first of all, what are the distinguishing characteristics that set these "balloon shrooms" apart from "liberty caps"?
The first time I was out hunting and came across these mushrooms, I thought they were some type of inactive Panaeolus species, but after some searching I figured they had to be P. semilanceata because I could find no other mushroom that looked even remotely similar to my finds.

There seem to be two phenotypes- one that is more "balloon-ish"and round, and the other that has a larger and longer cap that is more of an egg shape. Did you notice any other distinctions between these two "types" when cultivating??
Workman, why do you suspect these thus unidentified mushrooms are active??

You all have been a wealth of information, thank you very much!

Oh, and here are some pics of P. semilanceata that led me to misidentification of my find. Do you think any of these are actually "Balloons" and not semi's?

Even your lib, Workman, is deceptively similar to the "balloons"-

--------------------

InvisibleMead

Re: P. semilanceata in summer...(???) *DELETED* [Re: Workman]
    #5799686 - 06/28/06 02:58 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by Mead

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5800094 - 06/28/06 05:02 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Damn! Send some of that water to southern California!
That is way lame... will the water cause substantial damage if it reaches your house?

--------------------

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5800107 - 06/28/06 05:07 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I would almost bet money that those are either the same or very similar to the ones found from Workman's post.

Did you notice any bluing at the base?

The first ones look like a Panaeolus of some kind. The shape of the cap really throws it off on the last picture though.

Did/could you get a picture of the gills? Try and go find some fresh species and try to get a sporeprint.

The other idea is possiblility of it being an active Conocybe. I have been noticing a lot of Conocybe's growing lately in the lawns.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: P. semilanceata in summer...(???) [Re: angryshroom]
    #5800157 - 06/28/06 05:23 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

No bluing that I noticed at the base. It will be a few days or longer before I can get a fresh specimen, because of the dryness.

The gills can only be seen be splitting the cap into two- I doubt my camera phone will be able to get a good shot, but i will try next time i find one. I talked about my difficulty in getting a spore print above, it just isn't happening. Don't know why. I even took my black shirt and wiped the area of the paper where the cap had been sitting for 1-2days, but there were no white spores- nothing.

I have found plenty of conocybes lately, I doubt these are conocybes.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #5800232 - 06/28/06 05:55 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.mushroomjohn.com/psilocybesemilanceata1.htm

Everything is in the Shroomery's Ultimate Shroom Guide, more than 6,000 images of psilocybe mushrooms.

Again not even the mods are referring people to the guide. It is a waste of time to constantly give the same answers ofer and over because people do not read what is available.

mj

InvisibleMead

Re: P. semilanceata in summer...(???) *DELETED* [Re: CureCat]
    #5800247 - 06/28/06 05:59 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by Mead

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
    #5800389 - 06/28/06 06:42 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the link MJ.  Just poking around I didn't see anything about this balloon-ish mushroom that this post is about, although on my monitor the colors on your website always give me a headache so I didn't stay long! :wink: I think it is annoying when people don't read the excellent material that yours and other sites provide, but this post doesn't seem to really be one of *those* posts.  Plus, if everyone just read what was already out there, there wouldn't be too much point in having a message board...  Just some thoughts.

OfflineTheComradical
Stranger
Re: P. semilanceata in summer...(???) [Re: xmush]
    #5800512 - 06/28/06 07:36 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

What part of california do you live in?

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: P. semilanceata in summer...(???) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #5800828 - 06/28/06 09:04 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

MJ your guide only has pics of aussie Psilocybes from the internet or stamet's book so im not used to referring people there. Maybe it is more helpful for other Psilocybes like semilanceata.
What do you think these are?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags