Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Some Comments on Hallucinogenic Agarics (Mycological Riff Among Scholars)
    #5786885 - 06/24/06 04:03 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

From my library:

Okay, this post here is because I sawe a reference in Cure Cat's signature referring to this first paper by Smith, so I dug up my Ott Folder and others to post this tale of confusion.

Okay, this is going to be a very interesting thead for those intersted in studying the history of the sacred Shrooms.

In 1958, Noted midwestern mycologists, Rolf Singer of the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago (and author of the Agaricales in Modern Taxonomy) and Dr. Alexander H. Smith of the University of Michigan and author of numerous mushrom field guides published the first small monograph of the genus Psilocybe.

Reference is as follows:

Singer, Rolf and Alexander H. Smith. 1958a. New species of Psilocybe. Mycologia vol.50(1):141-142. January-February.

------ and ------. 1958b. Mycological investigations on Teonanácatl, the Mexican Hallucinogenic mushrooms part two: A taxonomic monograph of Psilocybe section Caerulescens. Mycologia vol. 50(2):262-303. March-April.
Latin descriptions for several species of entheogenic mushrooms from the Pacific Northwest United States and México are presented.

While this monogeraph contained numerous misidentifications of shrooms and relied on the writings of Wasson and Heim and Guzman, they jumped the gun on the Wasson's research publiching behind Roger Heim and Wasson's research. This started a long standing fued in the shroom community in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Many field guides, including mine, stamets, Rick Alan Miller, Leonard Enos, Richard hans norland, Everett Kardell, Gary Menser and others all referred to those papers by Singer and Smith and their knowledge for where and when the shrooms grew.

Thus many mistakes, the most notable the misidentification of P. strictipes by Singer and Smith as similar to P. baeocystis.

So nearly 20 years later in Issue 69, 1977 of Mycologia, Alecander H. Smith lambasted Ott and questioned his knowledge of the mushrooms.

In the fall of 1977, Dr. Smith published an article about his thoughts regarding alledged experts of the mushrooms and directed this publication to Jonathan Ott and others.

I am going to present here for the students of shrooms, the four part story of a bad feud over the study of the sacred mushrooms and those who study them.

Now, Jonathan Ott, author of Hallucinogenic Plants of North America, Pharmacotheon and other great histories of entheogens submitted a rejoiner to Mycologia and they hassled him and refused to publish it intact.

This is from Issue 71 of mycologia and appeared in 1979, a note in Mycologia, regarding the Ott Response.

So R. Gordon Wasson and Harvard University supported the response by Ott regarding Dr. Alexander H. Smith's four page tirade against Jonathan Ott in a private publication presented by R. Gordon Wasson and Harvard University

Below is Jonathan Ott's Rejoiner to Smith's Comments. Published in December of 1978.

Gordon Wasson Introduces Mr. Ott to the readers of his journal.

Jonathan Ott's forward and explanation for the letter to Dr. Smith's Comments

And now Ott's Rejoinder to Smith:

and Ott's Bibliography of his response to Smith.

Okay, well not the feud continues, and this time Dr. Rolf Singer is sticking in his two cents on the arguments of Smith and Ott.

This time, Dr. Smith writes a Correction to Ott's comments about Smith's Comments. Are you following this? Now we are up to February 1, 1982, almost four years since Ott Replyed to Smith.

A Corrction by Rold SInger published int he February 1, 1982 issue of Wasson's Harvard Journal publication.

And here is the letter to Rolf Singer form the CIA (of course they would not really tell many people who and who not they watched.

And now one week later after Rolf Singer responded to Jonathan Ott's rejoinder, we have R. Gordon Wasson's response to Dr. Singer's comments one week later on February, 8, 1982.

SO I hope everyone learns a little form this strange tirade between the four scholars of Shroom History.

mj

From my library.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshamantra
hobbyethnobotanist

Loc: ¯\(º_o)/¯
Re: Some Comments on Hallucinogenic Agarics (Mycological Riff Among Scholars) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #5789078 - 06/25/06 10:34 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

thank you mj for sharing :smile:

--------------------
note: english is my 3rd languange, please ignore misspelling and poor english, im doing my best :smile:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ug98TKkWKy0

OfflineClammyJoe
Azurescen Head
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW
Re: Some Comments on Hallucinogenic Agarics (Mycological Riff Among Scholars) [Re: shamantra]
    #5789118 - 06/25/06 10:59 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Mycologist... :nerd:  :regularshroom:

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northern Ohio
Re: Some Comments on Hallucinogenic Agarics (Mycological Riff Among Scholars) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #5789646 - 06/25/06 03:25 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for posting those pages, that was some mushroom history I was completely unaware of. Ego should always take a back seat to honesty, Smith and Singer would do well to remember that.

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Some Comments on Hallucinogenic Agarics (Mycological Riff Among Scholars) [Re: AislingGheal]
    #5790403 - 06/25/06 08:13 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Strange as it seems they all four were friemds of mine.. They are gone, but Ott lives in an underground dwelling in Oaxaca, Veracruz.

Up the volcano side of the mountain.
mj

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies