Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSenselessRebel
Stranger
 User Gallery

Psilocybe cubensis Hawaii and Mexi-Cub. PF tek My first grow!!
    #5774043 - 06/20/06 08:45 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

hey shroomerites!
ok so this is my first grow EVER! WAHOO!! actually ive tried twice before but i couldn't even get my cakes colonized! because im a dumbass
the first time i just jumped into it only useing erowid and no other research. the second time(not to long ago) i tryed and i kinda researched more and i sprayed down my bathroom with some lysol spray to sterilize(attempt to) the room and i think i killed my spores when i put them into the jars cuz they never did anything! no fuzz no nothing!

so now i found the shroomery!! HOORAY!!!
i looked up some teks and i went with the PF tek the one that everyone says noobs should start with so i listened and decide to do this then i looked up how to do it and im going with the 2 rubbermaid tub incubator. im also going to go with the PMP fruiting chamber.
Last friday june 19, 2006 (like i said last friday) i went out and got  a PC and started for real. i bought spore syringes from earthstongue.com and got very very very stuffed 20cc syringes. I got P.Cube.Hawaii and P.Cube.Mexi-cub. my Mexi-cub syringe was sooo stuffed that it was black i couldn't even see through it! haha but yea ok so heres my pics i took today

i put two big blankets over this to keep in the heat better

i had kind of a difficult time getting the temp up to the 80's but then i added another heater and now my temp is up to 88.5 degrees F.

the jars were injected sat june 17 in the morning. today they have alittle white fuzz going on in the jars!!! i hope this works well. i got 9 tall half pint jars and 3 pint jars. 2 pint jars are mexi-cub and one is hawaii. one of the half pint jars are both (i'll explain it a little bit) and four are mexi-cub only and the last for are hawaii only. ok sooo now my overview of my setup so far  now for other stuff

first, my temp is a 88.5F and as i understand the perfect temp is 86F but then some say heat it to 83 and the last 3 degrease will be put there because the growing mycelium will emit heat. now i ask you all what i should do. should i just leave it at 88.5?? should i try and lower it to 86?? or should i lower it lower to like 83??? please help me with this.

ok now for what i said i'd tlk about later, later is here, now. :smile: ok so the one jar that is half mexi-cub and half hawaii, the reason why i did this is because i read somewhere here on the shroomery(probably most likely the FAQ here) that the way the mushrooms reproduce (this i know) is through spores (this part i didn't know and im not sure if i understand fully) and that the spores send out little threads (mycelium???) and when the threads from two different spores meet they connect and exchange DNA through a hook and clasp mechanism and what i was wondering is how new strains get made?? so i decided to experiment alittle with the jar so i have four holes and the first hole i put hawaii and the second i put mexi-cub and the third hawaii and the fourth mexi again (and as you can see the four holes are in a circle on the cap) so i was wondering if a new strain would arise from the spores from these two strains exchanging DNA. donno what do you guys think will happen?? haha whatever happens hopefully something will grow!! hahaha okay i'll post back in a little while i may go out of town thurs donno POST AWAY!!!
-SenselessRebel

this post and all my posts following this is pure fiction and the pictures, though life like are computer generated 
:grin: :stoned:  :grin:

Edited by SenselessRebel (06/21/06 01:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
Re: Psilocybe cubensis Hawaii and Mexi-Cub. PF tek My first grow!! [Re: SenselessRebel]
    #5774257 - 06/20/06 09:35 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

lower it way closer to 80

--------------------

OfflineSenselessRebel
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe cubensis Hawaii and Mexi-Cub. PF tek My first grow!! [Re: liamtheloser]
    #5774386 - 06/20/06 10:03 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

well should i lower it to 80??

Offlinecubensisfrenzy55
Stranger

Re: Psilocybe cubensis Hawaii and Mexi-Cub. PF tek My first grow!! [Re: liamtheloser]
    #5774398 - 06/20/06 10:06 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

you cannot really create hybrid strains, at least not easily. You will probably have low yeilds and weak muchrooms, that is what happened to my buddy. Not sure if that will happen every time. I have also heard that one strain of mycellium will overtake the other so you only get one strain anyways. If anyone is more sure of what happens when strains are mixed I am interested in hearing also, this is just what I heard.

Lower your temps to 84-86, Good luck

OfflineSenselessRebel
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Psilocybe cubensis Hawaii and Mexi-Cub. PF tek My first grow!! [Re: cubensisfrenzy55]
    #5774513 - 06/20/06 10:39 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

kk thanks frenzy!

if this isn't the idea of how to create new strains then how do they do it??? how are new strains created in nature?? in captivity???
thanks
-SenselessRebel

edit: i just checked my temp after adjusting the heaters several hours ago and its at 84.7. donno if its going to be like this tomarrow morning but i'll check and i hope it stays at this constant temp...if thats what is good. do you guys think 84.7F is good??

Edited by SenselessRebel (06/20/06 10:42 PM)

Offlinecubensisfrenzy55
Stranger

Re: Psilocybe cubensis Hawaii and Mexi-Cub. PF tek My first grow!! [Re: SenselessRebel]
    #5774552 - 06/20/06 10:48 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

ya that temp will work. As for creating new strains, I don't really know how it works, i'm still working on growing the strains that are already around.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Psilocybe cubensis Hawaii and Mexi-Cub. PF tek My first grow!! [Re: cubensisfrenzy55]
    #5774787 - 06/20/06 11:38 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

There really should be some better info on breeding and advanced mycology.

It would take too long to explain everything you need to know, but the short answer is that you won't get any new strains or even any hybrids that way.

Your incubator should run around 80, 84 max. The myc will generate it's own heat.

-FF

OfflineMrMolotov
Ganja Patrol
Male

Loc: SoCal
Re: Psilocybe cubensis Hawaii and Mexi-Cub. PF tek My first grow!! [Re: fastfred]
    #5774813 - 06/20/06 11:44 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

new strains are created by taking a mushroom clone from a mushroom that exhibits different characteristics from the normal type of thats train. then it is bred for generatiions the 1st being F1 than F2 than F3 and so on it usually stables out at generation F3.
if i am correct but im pretty sure thats the basic gist of it.

--------------------

OI OI OI

Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
Re: Psilocybe cubensis Hawaii and Mexi-Cub. PF tek My first grow!! [Re: MrMolotov]
    #5774998 - 06/21/06 12:36 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

i agree with the 80... because even at 84 in the chamber, i've had a dummy jar go to 88-90+ just from the substrate insulating itself in a glass jar. that's just too hot for me to agree with, anyways! spores wont die til past a hundred anyways, but myc growth will be slow if it's more than 84

--------------------

OfflineSenselessRebel
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5775057 - 06/21/06 12:54 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

ok i shall lower the temp even more... 82...83 sound good???

Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
    #5775088 - 06/21/06 01:02 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

sure

is your thermometer in your bottom tub or your top tub (i'm assuming you're doing tub in tub)

it should be in your incubation chamber, not in the water tub
just in case you didn't have it set up like that... and the top and sides of the tub (which your jars are resting on) are going to be a little more hot than your thermometer if your therm is sitting on top of one of your jars.

what i do is put a shoe box in my incubater to keep all my jars off the bottom, but i guess that isnt exactally necessary... i just was having problems keeping the air in my tub the right temp without cooking the bottom of my jars.

anyways, i'm rambling... time for sleeping

--------------------

OfflineSenselessRebel
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5775816 - 06/21/06 09:11 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

yea i was thinking about that too because the bottom of the tub is quite hot so i think im going to do that but im also thinking about maybe lowering the temp just alittle because i just checked it and its up to 88.5 now
hummm.....im going to lower the temp a good amount but im wondering, is it the mycelial growth that is raising this temp:?? or is it too early for that? i think what im going to do is first take off the blankets and see what that does to the temp like leave the heaters where they are and take off the blankets. if that still isn't enough then i'll lower the heaters. great news tho, we got some more growth in some jars!! HOOORAY!!pics are comming
-SenselessRebel

OfflineSenselessRebel
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5776724 - 06/21/06 02:10 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

yea so my current upload limit is currently prohibiting be from uploading all my pics that i took of the mycelium today but heres just an idea of how its going

yea hopefully i can upload more later. im leaving tomorrow until sunday so i hope this grow (that actually doesn't exist) will have to be taken care of by my pipe smokein kitten Barney. but he knows what hes doing because he made this world!
ok so yea i think im going to put more H2O in the bottom tub cuz the level is kinda low and on the instructions it said to fill untill its almost over flowing...any comments on this????
later guys and happy tokein
-SenselessRebel

OfflineSenselessRebel
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5779819 - 06/22/06 08:14 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

i just checked the temp and its at a constant 84.0F.
i also checked the jars and damn the hawaii pint jar is colinizing very well (the second thumnail on the above post was it yesterday) and today its much thicker and some bigger!! WAHOO!!! hoooray for this time i didn't fuck up! (NOONE KNOWS HOW HAPPY I AM) the other two times i tryed i didn't even get Mycillial growth!!! but this time at least i got something
haha
well guess its just the waiting game
and im going out of town till sun but my buddys watching my pets and my cat is watching my project sooooooo!!!! hopefully when i get back i'll have alot of growth!!
later shroomery
-SenselessRebel

OfflineSenselessRebel
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5793931 - 06/26/06 09:04 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

hey guys i got back yesterday and today pictures were taken
no major major growth on any of the jars except this one that has exploded. its the pint jar of Hawaii!! check this out

i was wondering if that stringy stuff that looks like tentacles(sp?? to lazy to try and figure it out) is that healthy??? thanks guys
-SenselessRebel

Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
    #5794008 - 06/26/06 09:24 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, that's rhizomorphic mycellium... good stuff! looks nice and healthy

--------------------

OfflineSenselessRebel
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5800210 - 06/28/06 05:47 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

HOOORAY!!! this has been the best week ever!!!! these mushies that don't exist are doing well and are healthy!!! and i found my first p.Subbs !! now if only my basement didn't flood.....:(
oh well!!! who cares!!!!! hahaha looks like im haveing subbs for breakfast tomarrow!! HAHAH to bad they don't exist! :smile:
-SEnselssRebel

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#5801580 - 06/29/06 12:33 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Good to see someone is doing good on their 1st serious try,mine just contaminated big time.Good luck man

OfflineSenselessRebel
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5803513 - 06/29/06 02:45 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

aww sorry man that sucks
im actually bout to go check on em right now!! :smile:
-SenslessRebel

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#5803908 - 06/29/06 04:36 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Yea it sucks,would be cool if it was one of those learn from your mistakes type situations but I cant for the life of me figure out what went wrong at all.O well I have two other potential projects in the works so hopefully at least one of them will pay off.At least I'm pretty stocked supply wise so its just a matter of time.Thanks for the sympathy though and best off luck to you man

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures