Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineigottatank
Stranger
Loc: North East U.S.
bulk substrates
    #5767303 - 06/19/06 09:09 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

is there anyway of growing bulk amounts without using shit, all the teks i read use shit and straw and i have no access to shit.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTrav
Stranger

Re: bulk substrates [Re: igottatank]
    #5767357 - 06/19/06 09:32 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Order some shit, you will not regret it. Poop is the way to go if you're doing bulk. It's both easy and effective.

Offlineigottatank
Stranger
Loc: North East U.S.
Re: bulk substrates [Re: Trav]
    #5767377 - 06/19/06 09:35 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

damn, thats too bad. well thanks for the help.

--------------------

InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
    #5767503 - 06/19/06 10:16 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

You can use straight straw. Poo's better, but straw works. I've even heard of people spawning to coco coir as a bulk alternative.

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5767508 - 06/19/06 10:18 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

see  the coir as a substrate thread.  a brick of coir that cost me $4 at a pet store (sold as reptile bedding) expands to 9 liters - that's about 9.5 quarts.  spawn with 2-3 quarts of colonized wbs, or even a bunch of crumbled PF cakes (you can go smaller, remember there's 4 half pints in a quart).  i made a little change and hydrate the coir with a 50/50 water/coffee mixture to bring up nitrogen levels, and because it seems any way i can get some coffee in the mix the cubes just go wild over it... have a mini-bulk tray colonizing now and the myc is just tearing through it with awesome rhizo growth, spawned at a little higher ratio (1:2 colonized spawn to coir) and 3 days in the incubator and its almost ready to case already.  others have had great success with it, and although the results of my first run through it aren't really in yet it looks very promising.

all in all a really simple and inexpensive way to go semi-bulk without dealing with poo.  :thumbup:

Offlinenaja
collector

Re: bulk substrates [Re: creamcorn]
    #5767681 - 06/19/06 11:26 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Where on earth do u people live that u don't have access to cow shit, it's absolutely inconceivable to me that there arn't several garden centres close to you that sell,aged cow manure by the 20kg bag. It's $8AUD here for a bag and I have the choice of cow, chicken, sheep, horse and sumtimes even mixes of poo.

Don't people garden in other countries?

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: bulk substrates [Re: naja]
    #5767696 - 06/19/06 11:29 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

cow shit = teh sux0rz for mush cult. It works, but not nearly as well as hpoo.

For non manure bulk use the methods listed. Coir, straw, and compost are all types of bulk sub's that you can use as a substitute for manure.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

OfflineYamidude
Stranger

Re: bulk substrates [Re: coda]
    #5767813 - 06/19/06 12:13 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

i even saw "Mushroom Compost" for sale at home depot. You gotta be able to find something that will work.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: bulk substrates [Re: Yamidude]
    #5768251 - 06/19/06 02:30 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

mushroom compost is spent mushroom substrate. You do not want to use this in cultivation.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

OfflineNeurogenesis
Chemical Engineer
Male User Gallery

#5768570 - 06/19/06 03:51 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
cow shit = teh sux0rz for mush cult. It works, but not nearly as well as hpoo.

For non manure bulk use the methods listed. Coir, straw, and compost are all types of bulk sub's that you can use as a substitute for manure.

I've been using cowpoo with excellent results. just a verm and peat to improve the texture and act as a moisture buffer.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: bulk substrates [Re: Neurogenesis]
    #5768573 - 06/19/06 03:53 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

i never said it didn't work, but it's a shitty choice compared to the substitutes available.

--------------------

-JG

Offlinenaja
collector

#5770649 - 06/19/06 11:53 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

But in nature, cubies grow from cow shit almost exclusivley here in Australia. They r hardly ever found in horse manure. I've never tried horse, but now u have got me wanting to compare the two. I could get elephant poo prob, that should be "THE SHIT" Maybe I should get sum and give that a try too.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order