Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAgent00dude
Adventurer
 User Gallery
Question about adding nutrients...
    #5760630 - 06/17/06 01:24 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I'm new and searched this site for a week and didn't find an answer to this question. I was wondering if after a cake is spent, after the fourth or fifth flush, if it could be dunked (Using the dunk tek)in a mixture of water and brown rice flour? That way it would rehydrate the cake and also soak nutrients into the mycelium. Has anyone tried this and/or for experienced growers, would this work?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about adding nutrients... [Re: Agent00dude]
    #5760641 - 06/17/06 01:28 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

When dunking in a nutrient solution, you're inviting in all sorts of contams. 4 to 5 flushes from a brown rice cake is plenty. Time to retire that one and start a few new ones. If you time it right, by the time you've spent those cakes, new ones should be fully colonized and ready to birth. Welcome to the Shroomery! :grin:

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Question about adding nutrients... [Re: Premedman1]
    #5760702 - 06/17/06 02:04 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The problem is not running out of 'nutes', but rather running out of food. The mycelium eats the cake or other substrate as it grows, so the substrate shrinks as it's digested. There is no way to replace the bulk that has disappeared. Just start new cakes, as said above.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineAgent00dude
Adventurer
 User Gallery
Re: Question about adding nutrients... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5762474 - 06/17/06 11:38 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the info. I have another question then. Why not use a larger jar ? Why are 1/2 pint jars preferred over using a gallon size?

InvisibleMorelman
LC Master
 User Gallery

Loc: Hiding under an Elm Tree
Re: Question about adding nutrients... *DELETED* [Re: Agent00dude]
    #5762609 - 06/18/06 12:08 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by Morelman

Reason for deletion: Never again...

--------------------

OfflineAgent00dude
Adventurer
 User Gallery
Re: Question about adding nutrients... [Re: Morelman]
    #5762952 - 06/18/06 01:51 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Okay, well I have another question. Say you have a fully colonized cake and you break it up as if you were to do the casing method, but instead of spreading the mycelium in a tray as in casing, you distribute the pieces in sterilized 1/2 pint jars and then cover it with a sterilized substrate and incubate that again allowing the mycelium to colonize the new jar, sort of like using a liquid culture to jump start mycelial growth. That way after colonizing just one cake, you could use it to colonize 6 more, thus increasing the amount of cakes from a single spore syringe. As stated before, I'm new to this and am just using my imagination. I would love feedback from an experienced grower.

OfflineMLBjammer
Invitro Freak
Male User Gallery

Loc: Southeastern USA
    #5763408 - 06/18/06 06:11 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

You would greatly increase the chances of contams with that method. Just learn to make liquid cultures. It's not hard, and it really spreads out a syringe.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Question about adding nutrients... [Re: MLBjammer]
    #5763731 - 06/18/06 09:37 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Agent00dude you can use the method you suggest. Many people do use it. It's called G2G or grain to grain transfer. Use those search terms to read up on it. The only difference will be that you would be using grain flour rather than grain.

-FF

--------------------
It drinks the alcohol and abstains from the weed or else it gets the hose again. -Chemy

The difference between the substances doesn't matter. This is a war on consciousness, on our right to the very essence of what we are. With no control over that, we have no need to speak of freedom or a free society. -fireseed

"If we are going to have a war on marijuana, the least we can do is pull the sick and the dying off the battlefield." -Neal Levine (MPP)

I find the whole "my drug should be legal but yours should be illegal" mindset disgusting and hypocritical. It's what George Bush and company do when they drink a cocktail and debate the best way to imprison marijuana users. -Diploid

OfflineAgent00dude
Adventurer
 User Gallery
Re: Question about adding nutrients... [Re: fastfred]
    #5764254 - 06/18/06 12:51 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I read a post about the liquid culture, but it left me with many questions. I under that you are supposed to use 1 tablespoon dry malt extract per cup of water and I understand the procedure. My questions is, how many cc's of spore solution should be used per 1/2 pint jar and also what is the best method of covering the holes in the lid to avoid contamination? And also, can a larger jar be used or would that just be a waste of solution?

Edited by Agent00dude (06/18/06 12:52 PM)

OfflineTS10
Stranger thanfiction
 User Gallery

#5765095 - 06/18/06 05:18 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I read a post about the liquid culture, but it left me with many questions. I under that you are supposed to use 1 tablespoon dry malt extract per cup of water and I understand the procedure. My questions is, how many cc's of spore solution should be used per 1/2 pint jar and also what is the best method of covering the holes in the lid to avoid contamination?

THIS POST should answer those questions.

Quote:

And also, can a larger jar be used or would that just be a waste of solution?

As long as you have enough substrate to work with, there is no such thing as a waste of solution. :wink: That being said, small jars contain enough for the average FOAF.

--------------------
Gee Elsie, how do you do it?

OfflineAgent00dude
Adventurer
 User Gallery
Re: Question about adding nutrients... [Re: TS10]
    #5769851 - 06/19/06 09:05 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks a lot for directing me to that post. It answered all of my questions.

OfflineAgent00dude
Adventurer
 User Gallery
    #5782577 - 06/23/06 12:16 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for that reference; very informative. I have yet ANOTHER question though. Say I put the cake into a fruiting chamber BEFORE it is fully colonized, but half of the cake is covered in mycelium. Will that provide more flushes since the ratio of food/nutrients to mycelium ratio is higher? or will it just provide fewer mushrooms per flush, or will nothing happen at all?

Invisibledysphoria
lost soul

Folding@home Statistics
    #5782726 - 06/23/06 01:13 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

it will more often than not contaminate
think of it this way
everything the mycelium didnt eat, something else will, at a much faster pace
this is why everyone says to never take it out of the jar until the mycelium has covered (ate) everything
now...if you have a stalled cake, and 'operation' on it is truly viable and easy...then yes, you can cut off the uncolonized portion and use the viable portion.(remember, leaving this uncolonized portion will contaminate, and it should have no place to go but down the drain)

in short, no, theres no way to extend the life of your cakes or casings beyond what their biological efficiency already can sustain. doing so just opens up so many vectors of contaminations, that any and all attempts at this seem to end in disaster...search around for what you speak of, no one can really say they 'extended the life' of their mycelium using nutritious after-care.

--------------------

OfflineAgent00dude
Adventurer
 User Gallery
Re: Question about adding nutrients... [Re: dysphoria]
    #5783736 - 06/23/06 12:59 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

My problem was that I injected into the center of the jar and only used two holes rather than making four holes and injecting toward the outside. It has been 3 weeks and barely ANY growth is visible except for two white circles at the bottom of the jar.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder