Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineYamidude
Stranger

Question about depth of substrate in Double tub enclosure.
    #5753921 - 06/15/06 03:04 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Im getting geared up for my first grow. Im going to be using the double tub TEK. Im going to use WBS and spawn some Hpoo/Straw substrate cased with 60/40 verm/coir. My question is this.

How should I determine how much substrate im going to need for different sized containers? Should i just shell out the dough and buy a large amount or is there is specific ratio for size of container to how many pound are reccomennded? What is the ideal depth of just the colonized substrate before casing?

thanks in advance.

Edited by Yamidude (06/15/06 07:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAA2277
Resident DiphHead
Male User Gallery

Re: kinda lame newbish question. [Re: Yamidude]
    #5753983 - 06/15/06 03:26 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

What is the ideal depth of just the colonized substrate before casing?"

im pretty sure if you searched that you would find an answer, and btw, post with that kind of title probably wont get many views, just so you know...

search it up! alot of info here! check back and tell us how it goes i love reading grow logs! WELCOME!

(sorry i dont know)

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #5754045 - 06/15/06 03:52 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Yamidude said:
How should I determine how much substrate im going to need for different sized containers?

after the seed is soaked, only fill 3/4 of the way regardless of the container

Quote:

What is the ideal depth of just the colonized substrate before casing?

bird seed can be found really cheap, 50lbs for under $10, the ratio for for a
casing should be about 4:1 substrate to casing material, better learn to use the
search engine  :smirk:

Offlinesplifner180
Student
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, East Coast
Re: kinda lame newbish question. [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #5754402 - 06/15/06 05:31 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

They say that your WBS:substrate should be about 1:4, 1:10 max (don't try that yet). So fill your container 75% full. That's how much sub you'll need. The casing layer should be pretty thin, 1/2" at most (probably less), so you can cut back a little to make room for the casing layer.

As far as depth goes, the general answer you'll get will range between 2 and 4". I'm using 3.5" for my current (and first) grow.

splif

--------------------
First Grow: Ecuador -> LC -> HPoo/Straw -> Monotub
Build a Do-It-Yourself Magnetic Stirrer in thirty minutes with no money.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: kinda lame newbish question. [Re: splifner180]
    #5754601 - 06/15/06 06:10 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

i'll bet you learned how to find the volume of a cube in elementary school.  LxWxH.  4" is a good depth.

If you measure in inches and use that magical forumla there, you'll get cubic inches.  If you're dealing with some sort of jar, say a quart jar, you can ask google to convert quarts to cubic inches.  searching for "1 quart to cubic inches" gives me 57.75.  i'm sure you see where i'm going with this and hope you can do the 5th grade math required. :smile:

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #5754618 - 06/15/06 06:13 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

> They say that your WBS:substrate should be about 1:4,

There is no "WBS:substrate" ratio. WBS IS the substrate. Cut back on the spliffs a little man.

-FF

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: kinda lame newbish question. [Re: fastfred]
    #5754634 - 06/15/06 06:15 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

then what would you call it when somebody spawns WBS to hpoo (or coir, or compost or any other bulk substrate mix you dream up)?  i think that's done in a ratio eh?  you sure you're not sharing in the spliffs yourself? :smile:

OfflineYamidude
Stranger

Re: kinda lame newbish question. [Re: creamcorn]
    #5754864 - 06/15/06 07:17 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

i think my question was interpreted incorrectly.

I am talking about when i am putting the colonized substrate into my double tub. I was asking how thick should the layer be across the bottom of the tub? I was not talking about how high to fill my Jars. I fully comprehend how to make jars of colonized WBS. And i also understand perfectly fine how to spawn the colonized WBS into Hpoo and straw.

Thanks creamcorn for your complete display of idiocy and lack of intelligence.

Edited by Yamidude (06/15/06 07:27 PM)

Offlinecubensisfrenzy55
Stranger

#5754888 - 06/15/06 07:22 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I would go around three inches of poo, then mix in the colonized bird seed.

OfflineYamidude
Stranger

Re: kinda lame newbish question. [Re: cubensisfrenzy55]
    #5754894 - 06/15/06 07:24 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

cubensisfrenzy55 said:
I would go around three inches of poo, then mix in the colonized bird seed.

thanks, thats the type of answer i was expecting. Thank you.

OfflineYamidude
Stranger

#5754904 - 06/15/06 07:28 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

splifner180 said:
They say that your WBS:substrate should be about 1:4, 1:10 max (don't try that yet). So fill your container 75% full. That's how much sub you'll need. The casing layer should be pretty thin, 1/2" at most (probably less), so you can cut back a little to make room for the casing layer.

As far as depth goes, the general answer you'll get will range between 2 and 4". I'm using 3.5" for my current (and first) grow.

splif

im gonna go with 1:4 at 3.5"

Offlinecubensisfrenzy55
Stranger

#5754906 - 06/15/06 07:28 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

good luck, I am pasturizing some poo right now for my texas strain. heres my B+. [image][/image]
I have since cased it and it just started showing myc today.

OfflineYamidude
Stranger

#5754912 - 06/15/06 07:30 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

cubensisfrenzy55 said:
good luck, I am pasturizing some poo right now for my texas strain. heres my B+. [image][/image]
I have since cased it and it just started showing myc today.

i'd like to see how the TX strain works out. I havent seen alot of people using it.

Offlinecubensisfrenzy55
Stranger

#5754919 - 06/15/06 07:33 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

It went bunk with brf, but colonized good in the wbs. I'll show pics when their ready. What strain are you using?

OfflineYamidude
Stranger

#5754949 - 06/15/06 07:41 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

cubensisfrenzy55 said:
It went bunk with brf, but colonized good in the wbs. I'll show pics when their ready. What strain are you using?

well i put in an order for ecuador with B+ as the backup incase their sold out.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5754987 - 06/15/06 07:48 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Yamidude said:

I am talking about when i am putting the colonized substrate into my double tub. I was asking how thick should the layer be across the bottom of the tub? I was not talking about how high to fill my Jars. I fully comprehend how to make jars of colonized WBS. And i also understand perfectly fine how to spawn the colonized WBS into Hpoo and straw.

I think YOU misinterpreted my answer. I suggested 4" total substrate depth. That's your total amount, WBS and hpoo included. A thicker substrate will support larger fruits. Beyond 4" you hit diminishing returns, it just takes longer to colonize, you might get more flushes in the long run but again maybe not.

You wanted to know then how much substrate it would take to fill your tub, and I gave you a real easy way to estimate. People tend to overcomlpicate things and think there's magic answers here, when you can just apply some simple logic and figure these things out on your own. I wasn't talking about filling jars at all, but if you go measure the tub you intend on using, and assume 4" (or 3" or whatever you decide on), then you can calculate how many quarts of total material you'll need. If you know you're using say 1 quart of wbs and spawn to 4 quarts worth of hpoo, that's 5 quarts total. You can really easily calculate how much space that will take up.

Name calling isn't the way to get help around here man. If there's confusion, maybe you didn't pose your question well enough in the first place, or maybe you could ask for clarification next time.

InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
    #5755018 - 06/15/06 07:56 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

3 quarts of WBS spawned to 10 lbs. of hpoo gives me 4.5" - 5" substrate depth in a 18 gal monotub, which is near optimal, IMHO.

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

OfflineYamidude
Stranger

#5755050 - 06/15/06 08:04 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

creamcorn said:
Quote:

Yamidude said:

I think YOU misinterpreted my answer. I suggested 4" total substrate depth. That's your total amount, WBS and hpoo included. A thicker substrate will support larger fruits. Beyond 4" you hit diminishing returns, it just takes longer to colonize, you might get more flushes in the long run but again maybe not.

You wanted to know then how much substrate it would take to fill your tub, and I gave you a real easy way to estimate. People tend to overcomlpicate things and think there's magic answers here, when you can just apply some simple logic and figure these things out on your own. I wasn't talking about filling jars at all, but if you go measure the tub you intend on using, and assume 4" (or 3" or whatever you decide on), then you can calculate how many quarts of total material you'll need. If you know you're using say 1 quart of wbs and spawn to 4 quarts worth of hpoo, that's 5 quarts total. You can really easily calculate how much space that will take up.

Name calling isn't the way to get help around here man. If there's confusion, maybe you didn't pose your question well enough in the first place, or maybe you could ask for clarification next time.

thank you for you response. i apologize for the kiddy name calling. I appreciate your input actually. I guess i just sense a tone that wasn't there.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags