Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Shroomin' in Hawaii
    #5750182 - 06/14/06 04:20 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

This image I just found in an old box of images is from the Diamond K Ranch on Oahu Island.

The ranch is not accessible except by road from behind the hospital in Kailua and it runs along the side of the Kaiwanui swamp. A swamp where neighbors say they hear the growls of aligators at night.

in fact when I lived there, a 20 footer was found in the swamp one day. A dead one at that.

This is a farm where I had permission of the owners to collect specimens for the herbarium in Honolulu.

I should also point out that this swamp is also a place where police have hung out in the cat-tails and arrested numerous people, college students, military personal and locals for picking and possession of shrooms.

There is no access from Kamehameha highway which crosses over the swamp so noone here will be able to go there and pick.

I am posting this image of a Banyon tree on their properties near the farm house where the owner lived. He has long since departed but the ranch may or may not still be there since i have not been there in a decade.

I figured some here would like to see this cool tree.

abd here is a bad photograph of a bag of Copelandia cyanescens picked in less than one hour on this farm when I lived there.

This was a blurry image,one of five which all were good except this one. The five were lost when I moved back here from the islands. I lost a few parcels of books and personal items and photos in the U.S. mail when I returned from Hawaii.

Sorry for the blur, but I had the most pickings in Hawaii of these shrooms from many fields and then some days it would take all day and around half the island just to get a quarter of this bag. There are about 1200 shrooms in the bag of various sizes.

I use to use a ritz box (holds close to 1000 shrooms) for picking them and carefully laying them all in the same direction. I carried the bag opened slightly for air and carried it like it was a cup of hot coffee so the shrooms did not move when I did. In this way I preserved a lot of the potency of those shrooms.

If you notice, this is really a nice bag of shrooms for one hours work.

The pictures are from around 1990

Here also is Diamond Head picture taken on the beach at Waikiki

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (06/15/06 09:04 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Shroomin' in Hawaii [Re: mjshroomer]
    #5750388 - 06/14/06 05:49 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mjshroomer said:

I should also point out that this swamp is also a place where police have hung out inthe cat-tails and arrested numerous people, college students, military personal and locals for picking and possession of shrooms.

and here is a bad photograph of a bag of Copelandia cyanescens picked in less than one hour on this farm when I lived there.

I lost a few parcels of books and personal items and photos in the U.S. mail when I returned form Hawaii.

There are about 1200 shrooms in the bag of various sizes.

If you notice, this is really a nice bag of shrooms for one hours work.

mj

I'm always concerned the cops I see strolling around the areas I sometimes pick will give me a hard time.... Sometimes people ask what I'm up to, but I have a good(true but not complete) story.  If I am hunting one mushroom of questionable activety, then I usually carry around a few non-actives as i find them, just so if interrogated, it looks less suspiscious because I AM collecting all different types....

I don't like the US mail, they prove incompetent at often, the most inconvenient moments.

Lastly, I am in envy of that size haul in only 1 hr!!!  Man, you must have had your hands full- literally!  :smile:

--------------------

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Shroomin' in Hawaii [Re: CureCat]
    #5750482 - 06/14/06 06:22 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I always like to carry a bag with an edible mushroom or two in it.

"Picking mushrooms?"

"Yeah :smile:, This is Stropharia rugosoannulata; they are delicious sauteed in butter."

Most people, including cops, don't know any 11 syllable words, so if you say one with confidence, it completely throws them off. Most don't want to look stupid, so they will leave you alone. The easiest way to avoid trouble is to smile and look like you belong there.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Shroomin' in Hawaii [Re: shroomydan]
    #5751965 - 06/14/06 11:59 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Word up!
Thats indeed what I do, smile, say hello if compelled, and if questioned explain:
"I am studying mycology as a hobby, and collecting wild mushrooms to identify.  This one here is Coprinus Comatus, it's one species of a genus of mushrooms nicknamed "ink caps"- see how the edges are beginning to turn into black goo?"
Or something along those lines  :wink:

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #5752689 - 06/15/06 08:09 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

It is not a good idea to mix different mushroom into your bag of actives. If you were to pick one poisonous mushroom it could break into several pieces in a bag of Psilocybe shrooms and you could eat a portion. If you are paranoid and feel a need to pick other mushrooms then always have a few extra bags with you to carry different shrooms around with you.

I was stopped at least once every year in Seattle by police who wanted to know what I was doing. On several ocassions I had them take my bags from me and dump them on the ground, advising me to step on them. Something I refused to do. Then they would.

Also had one cop tell me never to come back into his neighbor hood.

\Once with my kids and my friends and their kids we were picking mushrooms in Tukwilla in the early 1980s and we were on a bank lawn and about ten squad cars pulled up out of nowhere. Someone in the bank saw us and called the cops, not knowing what we were doing on the lawns surrounding the bank.

As it turned out I had a jaywalking ticket from ten years before, for some reason it was still on the computer at the police station and they told me they were going to arrest me for the ticket. I told them I paid the ticket years before, but apparently it was still on the records.

After waiting for abouit an hour witht he police trying to figure out what to do about the children, a female cop came over and told me that they did not feel like waiting for a King Countty squad car to come and get me and that I should go to court on the following Monday and take care of the ticket. I again told them I had years before.

Then the female cop told me, Well Mr. Allen, today is your lucky day.

I had a similar experience with a doctor who wanted to see shrooms growing under the full moonlight at a downtown Seattle location, also at a bank near Seattle Center where there were blue ringers in the mulch. It was about 11 pm at night. He wanted to hold some in his hands under the light of the full moon to feel their energy. Cops came from nowehere. No problem after they put a make on us and found we had no warrants.

Another year I had a cop tell me I should be ashamed taking my son with me picking drugs.

My ten-year-old son told the cop, "Those are not drugs, they are mushrooms, but my mommy does drugs from the doctor." The cop did not like my son's humor. Problem is that my son was being honest. Not funny.

Just be cool. One person picking in a public place in the pnw usually has no problems about police. They generally drive by you and do not bother you.

I had a lawn for four years at a Thank God ITs Friday club in Seattle in the early 1990s. I was picking a land running along a sidewalk and along a main thouroughfare for about two hours or longer. During that time, about six cops drove by in their patrol cars. Seemed to not bother them.

After a few hours it happened.

All of a sudden I hear a voice asking me, "What are you doing on the ground?"

It was a motorcycle cop and he parked his motorcycle about twenty yards behind me so I wouldn't hear him coming.

He chased me away but did not take my bag of shrooms.

I wondered why my picking did not bother the cops who drove by and aaw me and why he decided to pull over and bark at me. Maybe his wife didn't give him any int he morning or he did not have his ten cups of java and donuts.

Anyway, here is the quote from a couple of Haawaiin cases taken from the Honolulu newspapers regarding the Kaiwanui Swamp incidents.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
Excerpted from Magic Mushrooms of the Hawaiian Islands by John W. Allen.
Quote:

On January 15, l981, a 14 year old boy was taken to the emergency room of Castle Hospital in Kailua where he received a gastric lavage after taking an overdose of some "magic mushrooms". Police later claimed that these mushrooms were lethal and should be avoided (Unsigned, l981a). (For more detailed information regarding treatment for psilocybian intoxication, see Allen, Merlin & Jansen, 1991).

On the day before the youth's overdose, an Honolulu Police undercover narcotics officer had been offered a packet of some mushrooms. The mushrooms had allegedly been picked from a pasture alongside Kawainui swamp near Kailua road. After learning where the mushrooms were being harvested from, the police decided to stake out the swampy pasture and hid in the bushes awaiting the arrival of what they term as being "suspected drug promoters". Two days later on January 17, l981, police proceeded to arrest two men as they harvested several small bags of magic mushrooms.

On January 30, l981, 8 individuals were arrested and charged with promotion of dangerous drugs after they had been caught picking magic mushrooms in Kailua (Unsigned, l981a). Five of the arrested mushroom pickers were students from the University of Hawaii and three others were teenagers. The arrests were pressured on the police by community leaders of Kailua after a high school student became ill after ingesting what he supposed were "magic mushrooms."

After the arrest of these mushroom pickers for trespassing, four of the students were held for 48 hours and then released pending further investigation. Six months later they were indicted by a Grand Jury for possession of a controlled substance. At this time two of the students were in Colorado and one was in California. All returned to Hawai'i for their trials which lasted for over one year.

Penalties and fines in Hawai'i for possession of psilocybin are as follows.

Degree Amount Penalty

1st 2 oz. and up 20 years mandatory

2nd 1 oz. - 2 oz. up to 10 yrs.+ $10,000

3rd up to 1 oz. up to 5 yrs.+ $5,000

One of the four individuals was charged with 1st degree possession, two others with 2nd degree possession and another with 3rd degree possession. All persons indicted were charged with a deferred acceptance of guilt and their sentence was probation for two years (Unsigned, 1982b).

8 days later, in the same field at Kawainui swamp, police again arrested six more pickers as they were harvesting "magic mushrooms". This time three marines, two soldiers, and a resident of Kahaluu were arrested. All six were booked and later released pending further investigation (Unsigned, l981b).

Reactions to the above mentioned arrests evidently prompted an irate citizen into writing a letter to a Honolulu newspaper in which he defended ones right to pick and eat "magic mushrooms" (Bachman, l981). Years later, the author met with Mr. Bachman, a High School teacher, and decided that Mr. Bachman's letter to the Honolulu newspaper was valid and his personal credentials asserted that he was not some anti-establishment protested who wrote irate letters to newspapers.

mj

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5752775 - 06/15/06 08:43 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

That's absurd.

What the hell is wrong with people? What are people so afraid of??

This is unseemly exploitation of authority.

--------------------

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #5752816 - 06/15/06 08:59 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

That was a pretty good read. A lot of us can relate to some of the stuff you said in that post.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Shroomin' in Hawaii [Re: eris]
    #5752861 - 06/15/06 09:16 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Lately posting here has been a slow thing for me because of the misinformation. I known you and a few others try to root it out, but it just keeps coming, and so I only respond sometimes to posts I can really related to or to people who tend to make statements without thinking.

Sometimes I too have been guilty of same.

I refer people tot he mj site or tot he Shroomery's Ultimate shroom guide. 95% of their questions can be answered in that book. That is why it is the ultimate shroom guide I wrote for the Shroomery to use.

I mean it has over 4000 photos of 55 species available to those interested.

AS also do many of my articles which have data pertaining to most questions asks. OF course many come here and just want you to tell them where your spots are and they do nortt want to read anything.

Kinda like pot. I have smoked it all of my life since I first turned on to it while an extrra int eh movie the Greatest Story Ever Told. Yet all of my life I had no knowledge of pot and did not care to read about pot, unless it was a tale in High Times.

But the shrooms told me to study them and lern their story and inform the world of what I had learned.

In the mid 1990s I learned about pot because I was hired to rewrite Mark D. Merlin's Man and Marijuana book.. MARK WAS MY CO-AUTHOR AT THE U OF HAWAII ON 7 ARTICLES ON SHROOMS.

His book was his thesis for his masters int he Geography department at the U of Hawaii. IT was the first book about Hemp and its history written since James Allen's Reign of Law: A Tale of the Kentucky Hemp Farmers written in 1899 or so.

So I had to research hundreds upon hundreds of articles for him to rewrite the book, which is now going, affter a ten year delay, to be published soon with Rob Clarki, author of marijuana Botany, and kudos to me int he credits. But I had no interest to lern about pot. I knew I just loved to smoke it. So I can understand some people who do not want to read about something.

\Everyone knows about pot. But do they really.

I studied the shrooms frim their beginning to this moment. And I still do not known anything about them.

mj

Sorry went on a rant when I have some other things to do,

Peace, and have a shroommy day

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5755876 - 06/16/06 12:25 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mjshroomer said:

I studied the shrooms frim their beginning to this moment. And I still do not known anything about them.

mj

Point well made!! There is so much knowledge we will never acquire even if we spend our entire lives focused around it.

--------------------

Invisiblecricket
Lord Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: in my house, in front of ...
    #5763697 - 06/18/06 09:09 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

20 foot Alligators in Hawaii? How the hell did they get there? How the hell they get so big.
I doubt they climbed into aircraft landing gear like the brown snakes from the Phillipines.
I'm not saying that it's imposible. I'm in Kansas and I have a 4.5 footer under my bed. I do have to question the size. 20 feet, You can't find them that big in Florida.
Someone must have smuggled a crock-o something to that Island Paridise.

--------------------
I tried to leave my signature but it didn't work...
By the way... Does anybody know how to get sharpie markers off of a computer screen?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Shroomin' in Hawaii [Re: cricket]
    #5763722 - 06/18/06 09:31 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Over the past 30 years 0r more, alligators have been found on Oahu..Usually someone brings them in in a boat and dumps them.

I lived there 12 years or so and no snakes in Hawaii but they have a small worm snake with feet. And they too find large boas and pythons all the time in Hawaii. Pets and they get out and are into the jungle landscape.

There are no rabies in Hawaii and no Bats. And to give you a good thought for the day, there are several hundred wild rock Wallabies on Oahu since the early 1900s when a bunch excaped form a circus and wandered up into Tantalus and Along the mountain range, now extending to sitings all the wayu out to Waiamea on the north shore in the mountains.

It is the only other country in the world with wallabies besides Australia

mj

Check it out and google the Hawaiian Rock Wallabies. You will be amazed. The majority of hawaiian people living on Oahu still do not know about thyem, but every now and then the 'Hawaiian Moving Company' (Local weekly live TV show) does a special on Wallabies in Hawaii. You can here some locals go, "eh! Where them Wallabies stay? Bro?"

Quote:

Hawaiian Rock Wallaby

Pacific Adventures traces the origin of the Rock Wallaby that colonized in Kalihi Valley some seventy-five years ago. The marsupial is native to Australia and become established in Hawaii when three animals escaped from a zoo keeper. Scientists believe Hawaii's rock wallabies have evolved into a new species.

It is believed they number over 300. They have been tagged by the zoo.

Distribution of Wallabies int he world population

Quote:

Distribution:
Australia, New Guinea, parts of Irian Jaya, and several Indonesian islands. Introduced into Britain, Germany, Hawaii, and New Zealand

mj

Invisiblecricket
Lord Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: in my house, in front of ...
    #5763931 - 06/18/06 10:32 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds like the snow monkeys in Texas. Most Texans don't even know about them.

Since they are an introduced species, can they be trapped and removed from the wild? Or are they protected as a "scientific study group."

Years ago I worked for an exotic animal farm. I had the pleasure of working with wallabies and kangaroos. Wallabies are fairly expensive animals that can make excellent house pets. They are intelligent animals that can learn to use a litter box, and will bond with their keepers if treated right.

You're a lucky man, MJ. You have had the opportunities to see and do alot of things I can only dream of. Your animal adventures alone make me jealous.
As I have offered before... If you ever need a cobra catcher, or gator get'r, Look me up! I work cheep.

--------------------
I tried to leave my signature but it didn't work...
By the way... Does anybody know how to get sharpie markers off of a computer screen?

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5764084 - 06/18/06 11:33 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mjshroomer said:

Quote:

Hawaiian Rock Wallaby

Pacific Adventures traces the origin of the Rock Wallaby that colonized in Kalihi Valley some seventy-five years ago. The marsupial is native to Australia and become established in Hawaii when three animals escaped from a zoo keeper. Scientists believe Hawaii's rock wallabies have evolved into a new species.

It is believed they number over 300. They have been tagged by the zoo.

mj

Man that is pretty cool! I love genetics and heredity- along with adaptation, this is a very cool population! I question the person who said "Scientists believe Hawaii's rock wallabies have evolved into a new species", because in 75 yrs and with such a small population, it would be unlikely to see such a dramatic change in the gene pool such as the case with sub-species, much less, species! I mean... since it has been 75 yrs, and the gene pool has been rather isolated with only three original settling animals, I could see maybe how a genetic shift in this foreign population could cause the occurrence of a sub-species, at most... But I doubt the original authors poignance on the issue from the above quote.
Very interesting indeed. I'll be looking into it for sure.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #5764556 - 06/18/06 02:25 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The rock Wallabies have biologicalloy adapted tot he Hawaiian environment. They have basically changed some of their biological traits to adapt to the islands atmosphere.

Confusion about the original number of wallaby escapees keeps changing depending on who is writing. Some reports say from 2-7 escaped. They got up into the Kalili valley and Round Top and Tantalus, along Aiea and spread over the years all the way to the North Shore, where my friend David Orr (head of the Waiamea arboretum ont he north Shore reported sightings there in the early 1990s.

Had some pictures once but they were lost moving back here int he U.S. mail.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates