Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrBean
Stranger
ID Request - Look-a-like shroom - Melbourne AU
    #5748278 - 06/14/06 01:42 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Hi all, went for my firt hunt in Eastern suburbs of Victoria and was unsuccessful in finding anything active. Nevertheless I had fun and brought back some specimens which nearly had me fooled. Just wondered if anyone could take a look and possibly put a label to them.

Age/Condition: The photos were taken around 24hours after picking. Had to find a battery for the camera. They were stored in a sealed cloth bag, but it's evident that they have 'aged' a bit.

Cap:
Colouration - Dark Brown, more so towards the centre.
Shape/Size - Ranging from 15mm to 4.5cm in diameter.
Margin - Most curl downwards around outsides, larger ones sometimes curl up a bit.
Notes - The older specimens tend to have a flatter cap. All have a dark 'nipple'.

Stem:
Colouration - Light with a brown/orange tinge over the top. Looks Like there are sort little 'waves' of this.
Shape/Size - Anywhere from 2cm to 5cm in length. About 7.5mm in width.
Base (volva) - Not sure what is meant by this?
Hollow/Solid - One of the pictures shows this. Primarily solid with a thin hollow bit right in the middle.

Flesh:
Colouration - Off white with a brown tinge.

Environment: Found in Melbourne Victoria. Under some trees in a park. A lake was about 30-40m away. Ground consisted of twigs, dead leaves, general debris with patches of grass. The soil was nice and moist.

Other: The gills are a caramel colour. There is no noticeable blueing but near where the stem meets the cap I can swear there is some light green staining.

SPORE PRINT: Burgundy/Brown colour.

Peace.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineseeker72
Astral Activist
 User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand
Re: ID Request - Look-a-like shroom - Melbourne AU [Re: MrBean]
    #5748549 - 06/14/06 03:56 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

They look a bit like some (inedible) Cortinarius species which I've come across in my bit of Wellington NZ.

OfflineBread
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: ID Request - Look-a-like shroom - Melbourne AU [Re: seeker72]
    #5748652 - 06/14/06 05:09 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I see quite a few of those around too. here's two pics I took yesterday, dunno if it's the same as the one above, but it turns upwards similar to a Sub but it's on the stem that you can see it's different. Hasn't really turned out in the pics, but the stem has a purple 'shine' to it almost..? Kinda weird, but yeah, they always catch my eye as possible subs. Same as the ones above I guess, but the above ones have a yellowy stem?

OfflineMrBean
Stranger
    #5748704 - 06/14/06 05:42 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

^^ Yeah those are either something very similar or the same type of shrooms. The larger ones looked nearly identical when first picked, although I didn't find any quite that big.

I looked around at a few pictures of cortinarius and their distribution. That's also a possibility I guess. Then again just about every webpage almost had fun in saying how near impossible it was to find the exact type of these since theres 1000s.

This whole mycology thing is rather addictive.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #5759845 - 06/17/06 06:08 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

loks like a cortinarius to me - not edible, and probably quite poisonous.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract