Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRedHead
worm castings questions please help
    #572872 - 03/07/02 08:14 PM (22 years, 17 days ago)

hey,
i should be getting my 10lbs of worm castings from www.vermitechnology.com any day now. here is what i plan to do with them:

wet the castings until a few drops of water drip out when i squeeze it tightly. put them in a tupperware container, put the lid on and microwave for 10 minutes. i have read you can do 5 minutes then let sit for an hour then another 5 minutes- does it matter?? once fully cooled the castings will be mixed with 2 quarts of colonized (p.c. b+) rye in a kitty litter box or similar container. this container will be placed inside a 21 gallon bin (terrarium).

questions:

is 2 colonized quarts enough to mix with 10lbs of castings? in reading, i have found different answers. mycelia tears through this stuff pretty good from what i have heard. i could use 3 if i really needed too- but i didn't think that was necessary.

is it necessary or beneficial to add vermiculite or brown rice flour or rye flour to the castings?? i have read that these can be added at a ratio of 2:1:1 (worm castings:vermiculite:brown rice or rye flour). or is it ok to just use the castings straight? i realize it is common to mix straw with castings, but i can't seem to find it here. it's also a pain in the ass to chop/pastuerize, etc- and it still can contaminate easily.

should the kitty litter or similar container have seran wrap or anything over it while it is colonizing? or is having it in the bin enough?

about how long should it take for the castings to fully colonize? will it be obvious? i have read that it is hard to tell when worm castings are fully colonized- is this true?

thanks for all responses.

red

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSumGuy
addict

Re: worm castings questions please help [Re: RedHead]
    #572899 - 03/07/02 08:33 PM (22 years, 17 days ago)

Sterilizing your castings would probably give you a better chance of no contams but that's just a certain person's prference nuking is probably good .. do 10 minutes let it sit for an hour in the nuker and then do another 10. 2 Quarts should be ok but mix it really good and make sure you mix the bottom and corners real good to make sure some grains get down there. Make sure you wear gloves when you're doing this and if you have a flow hood that'd be good but if not just use the oven tek .. spray the air good with lysol first. Dont mix any of that other crap with it .. I suppose it wouldn't matter if you used verm. but just the castings are probably fine by themselfs .. dont compact your castings just make them level without compacting and it'll colonize faster .. if there's no lid on the container it's colonizing in foil it up. keep it nice and warm. Oh and also give the colonizing container and foil you cover it while colonizing a good wiping with alcohol too .. people probably think spraying the air, wearing gloves and using an oven is overkill but whatever, better safe than sorry especially if you dont have a sterile room/mycology lab to work in. as for the colonization it should be all good in 10 days if kept at optimum temps.

--------------------
-SumGuy :cool:

Edited by SumGuy (03/07/02 08:36 PM)

OfflineRedHead
Re: worm castings questions please help [Re: SumGuy]
    #572917 - 03/07/02 08:52 PM (22 years, 17 days ago)

thanks for the reply. how big should the container be? i have found 3 containers that seem like they would work. one is 12 qts, one is 15 qts and the other is a kitty litter box which is probably about 15 quarts also. all of the containers are about 5" deep. of the three- the kitty litter box is the shallowest. would any of these work well for 10lbs of castings plus 2 quarts of rye?

if i get a little tupperware that has a lid- should i snap the lid on tight? or just put it on loosely- without an airhole or anything i just don't want to suffocate the castings.

how warm should i keep the temp? 80 degrees? 85 degrees? i have heard that with bulk substrate you don't want the temp too high because heat gets retained in the center on the substrate and it heats up more than you want it to.

i've never used the oven tek before- how would i do that?

red

OfflineDr.Deathcap
Stranger
Male

Re: worm castings questions please help [Re: RedHead]
    #18975957 - 10/14/13 10:20 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Oven tek simply involves turning on you're oven with the door open. Then using the created updraft to aid in the prevention of contaminant entry while you work.
Deathcap

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder