Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: United States
Mycobags
    #5666935 - 05/23/06 11:12 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I searched the posts and can't find much of anything on mycobags, just some basic info. Can you flush Mycobags if you are useing the mycobag as your fruiting chamber? Or is it just one flush and thats it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
Re: Mycobags [Re: drSE]
    #5666946 - 05/23/06 11:16 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah you can grow invetro or use it for spawn or you can use it for bulk substrate.

Bags ROCK :rockon:

Jars are so 80's (someone said once) :wink:

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Invisiblechrist_house
Stranger

#5666951 - 05/23/06 11:17 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

some strains of cubensis do better than others but you can potentially get quite a few flushes.

tasmanians do great in a grain-based bag, as do the mazatapec and allen strains.

OfflineBabo911
Pooper Scooper
 User Gallery

Loc: Arizona Bay
Re: Mycobags [Re: christ_house]
    #5666962 - 05/23/06 11:20 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I grow shiitake right out of the bag, works great if i punch holes or cut off the top

--------------------

Ronhero on the Growery is me

InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycobags [Re: Babo911]
    #5666973 - 05/23/06 11:21 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I heard that you should inject a syringe of distilled water into the mycellium after first flush to help the second flush.

Also, i just cut the bag open, pick the mushrooms, and then seal it back up, and wait for second flush?

Invisiblechrist_house
Stranger

#5667326 - 05/24/06 12:48 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

drSE said:
I heard that you should inject a syringe of distilled water into the mycellium after first flush to help the second flush.

Also, i just cut the bag open, pick the mushrooms, and then seal it back up, and wait for second flush?

works for me, but i don't inject into the mycelium. i just mist the bag lightly with distilled water, but the syringe idea is appealing.

InvisibleTechno_Raver
    #5667341 - 05/24/06 12:53 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I tried the GT strain in the rye based mycobags and got no results at all. it's been over 1.5 months and I haven't seen a strand of mycelium grow. I don't know if it's the spores or the grains, but it seems to me like the PF tec works better.

Invisiblechrist_house
Stranger

Re: Mycobags [Re: Techno_Raver]
    #5667870 - 05/24/06 08:32 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Techno_Raver said:
I tried the GT strain in the rye based mycobags and got no results at all. it's been over 1.5 months and I haven't seen a strand of mycelium grow. I don't know if it's the spores or the grains, but it seems to me like the PF tec works better.

i've never tried the rye bags but with the grain-based they must be kept between 80 and 85 degrees during colonization, and in absolute darkness.

i would assume that you would have no problem getting the rye colonized, perhaps some trouble with fruiting (?) but i'm not sure. are they being kept under the right conditions?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #5668183 - 05/24/06 10:50 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

christ_house said:
i've never tried the rye bags but with the grain-based they must be kept between 80 and 85 degrees during colonization, and in absolute darkness.

Rye IS a grain. Filter patch bags generally hold more product than jars, therefore there is more internal heat produced as the grain colonizes. Don't go over 80F during colonization of grains.

Also, light has zero effect on colonizing spawn(agar, rye, millet, wbs, etc), good or bad. I've placed colonizing petri dishes and grains on an open shelf at normal room temperature with normal indoor light exposure for many years. Once the grain is spawned to manure or cased, it's a good idea to cover with foil to restrict air exchange while allowing gas exchange, as well as to block light during the time the substrate/casing is colonizing. This allows the introduction of light to the fully colonized substrate to act as one of the pinning triggers. Just remember, light is one of the pinning triggers, but it's horribly overrated by many growers who misunderstand that it's not the only one. You still need a fully colonized substrate, an increase in fresh air, which results in a rapid decrease in CO2 levels, evaporation from the substrate or casing layer, and light.

If one wishes to grow invitro on grains in a bag, it helps to mix moistened vermiculite in with the grains prior to sterilization. This is known as rez-effect. Otherwise, I'd recommend opening the bag up and applying a casing layer to the top once it's fully colonized. You can fruit in the bag by opening the top of the bag once or twice per day to allow fresh air exchange. Remember, the filter patch will exchange a very small amount of gasses, but for good fruiting performance, you need actual air exchange, which the filter can't provide.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #5668435 - 05/24/06 11:45 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

These were my results with bags from themadseason done invitro. These were Cambodians:

They flushed about 4 times. I would rather just buy empty spawn bags and make them myself though.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5668448 - 05/24/06 11:51 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

drSE said:

Cut the bag open, pick the mushrooms, dunk the substrate block overnight, dab the excess water, place it back into the bag and fruit it again. Repeat this between each flush.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinejohnhenry
Minderbinder
Loc: capital-evil empire
Re: Mycobags [Re: FooMan]
    #5668531 - 05/24/06 12:16 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Swim agrees with fooman. Swim also adds hydrogen peroxide to distilled water to help prevent contamination. If you don't want to dunk, you can mist after each flush, works pretty well.

Offlinezeegos
Shroomagator
 User Gallery

Loc: bat country
Re: Mycobags [Re: johnhenry]
    #5668590 - 05/24/06 12:26 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

ooo im doing cambodians as well. Its about 70% colonised after about 1.5 months (yea i know).
Maybe its because it wasent in absolute darkness.
In ur pics FooManShroom, do you keep the bag in-tact for the first flush?
I was thinking its a lot of substrate and could maybe make 2 casings with it.
This is my first grow so what do you recommend?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mycobags [Re: zeegos]
    #5668926 - 05/24/06 02:10 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zeegos said:

Read my post above. Light has absolutely no effect on colonizing mycelium. You don't need to keep a spawn bag in darkness. That is one of the old myco myths that is proving very hard to die, thanks to wrong information presented in Stamets' TMC.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5669002 - 05/24/06 02:43 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zeegos said:
ooo im doing cambodians as well. Its about 70% colonised after about 1.5 months (yea i know).
In ur pics FooManShroom, do you keep the bag in-tact for the first flush?
I was thinking its a lot of substrate and could maybe make 2 casings with it.
This is my first grow so what do you recommend?

I kept the bags intact the whole time. You will always get better results when you case any substrate rather than letting it grow invitro. As far as it taking so long, I would adjust the temps. I agree with RR that light won't do any harm during incubation. The only reason to keep an incubating substrate in the dark is to help avoid premature pinning, not to help growth.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibledrSE
Pseudo Reality
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycobags [Re: FooMan]
    #5669012 - 05/24/06 02:48 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Great info, I appreciate it.

So if i were to inject distilled water back intot he bag with a swyringe, how much water should i use (in CC)?

Offlinezeegos
Shroomagator
 User Gallery

Loc: bat country
    #5669492 - 05/24/06 05:29 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Im pretty excited about this being my first grow and all, and with this i tend to check my substrate bag/jars quite often. Could this be a possible factor for slow growth?
Maybe mycelium just needs to be left alone and the temp remain constant (opening my incubator will prob result in heat loss).
How often do you guys check your inoculated jars?

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5669691 - 05/24/06 06:30 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

As long as you aren't touching the substrate, you shouldn't have any problems. Grab the bag from the top. Touching the actual substrate inside the bag can damage the mycelium. It will likely recover, but slow things down.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #5670176 - 05/24/06 08:35 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

drSE said:
Great info, I appreciate it.

So if i were to inject distilled water back intot he bag with a swyringe, how much water should i use (in CC)?

I would dunk it. There is a way to do it by adding the weight that was lost prior to the first flush. Mainly, you want the substrate moist, but not soaking with standing water in the bag.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineJack_Straw
ROC
 User Gallery
Re: Mycobags [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5670535 - 05/24/06 10:09 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Read my post above. Light has absolutely no effect on colonizing mycelium. You don't need to keep a spawn bag in darkness. That is one of the old myco myths that is proving very hard to die, thanks to wrong information presented in Stamets' TMC.
RR

Daaaaamn! Those are harsh words... but I hope you're right, as lately someone seems to let laziness prevail and just throw jars up on the shelf with daylight hitting em.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate