Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Who says PF tek? (rant)
    #5660995 - 05/22/06 05:10 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

First, PF is more contam prone than grains. Boiling jars = bad. Spending 30-40 bucks on a pressure cooker = good. I highly doubt there's anyone over the age of 18 that can't find a way to scrape together a few bucks for a pressure cooker. Beyond that, proper filter VS some holes over a layer of vermiculite? Better hope there's no draft.

Second, yield! 4 grain jars transfered to a couple gallons of straw will produce WAY WAY more shrooms than a bunch of tiny 1/2 pint cakes.

Third, cost. 10 bucks buys you enough bird seed and straw to produce pounds of mushrooms. The pressure cooker just payed for itself.

Fourth, effort. Who says PF is "easier" than grain jars? Going by yield, PF tek consumes so much more time it isn't funny. Besides, a small straw grow in a mono tub with a peat casing layer takes no more effort than a PF grow, and you get more shrooms anyway.

Finally, PF tek doesn't "prepare" a person for grains. The difficulty level of both methods is easy.

Let's look at the price of a grain/straw grow:
cheap 12 quart PC - 40
40lb bag of WBS - 6
40lb bag of peat - 5
4 foot bag of verm - 6
bale of hay - 5
12 quart jars - 10
Tyvek envelopes - free
tape - 2
40lb high cal lime - 6
large tub - 15
bag of polyfil - 2
meat thermometer - 3

Total = 100 dollars. Congratulations, you've just purchased enough supplies to grow 10+ pounds of mushrooms.

And PF grow?

12 1/2 pint jars - 10
2 bags BRF - 6
Bag of verm - 5
large tub - 15
bag of perlite - 3
optional humidifier - 30

Total cost - 39-69 dollars

If you spring for the humidifier, you've saved 30 bucks. If you opt to be a slave to mycelium and fan several time a day, you've saved about 60. Congratulations, you can look forward to a meager harvest and you'll be running to the store for BRF before too long.

I realize some people have special circumstances and can't store large bags of substrate, but this doesn't explain: newb = PF tek is best. PF has it's place, Hippie Chick uses PF for testing strains I believe. But why on earth would a newbie want to do PF tek? That's my rant.

Rahz

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Edited by Rahz (05/22/06 05:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesoulsizzle
nobody f**kswith The Jesus

Re: Who says PF tek? (rant) [Re: Rahz]
    #5661055 - 05/22/06 05:35 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I fully agree that grains are a far better choice than the PF-style cake method. However, there are numerous errors in your post. There is no reason you can't use a pressure cooker with the PF method. I always did. You can also use polyfill and/or tyvek with PF cakes as well.

--------------------

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Who says PF tek? (rant) [Re: soulsizzle]
    #5661076 - 05/22/06 05:44 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Yea, that's true, but them you're looseing the price advantage and PF becomes even less attractive.

Tyvek and polyfil are cheap enough, but they're not utilized in any PF style teks I've read.

Rahz

--------------------
rahz

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

InvisibleOptx
PronouncedAwp-Tiks
 User Gallery

#5661080 - 05/22/06 05:47 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

wow...what a useless post

--------------------
please do not take everything i say here so personally. welcome to teh internets!

Offlinemikeownow
Humungus fungus

Loc: WA,USA
    #5661083 - 05/22/06 05:49 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

no reason why u cant use them though

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: mikeownow]
    #5661099 - 05/22/06 05:54 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

OfflineMycomyth
Demented Avenger
Male User Gallery

Loc: At the crux of the matter...
    #5661107 - 05/22/06 05:56 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I agree, but I think the main thing is that the word isn't really out there about just how easy grains are.
Me though, I'm a quick study. I tried WBS after my first batch of eight cakes. My first cakes took nearly 40 days just to colonize 100%, whereas the grain is done in ~14 days (and that's in a jar twice the size of a PF!).
I can't think of anything I'd like better than for it to be widely known just how easy grain really is!

FWIW,
M

--------------------
Wave upon wave of demented avengers marched cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

Edited by Mycomyth (05/22/06 05:58 PM)

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Who says PF tek? (rant) [Re: Optx]
    #5661119 - 05/22/06 05:59 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

haha, don't hold back, tell me how you really feel.

Useless? All a matter of opinion. If one newb reads it and decides to skip PF then I'd say it was usefull.

Beyond that, it's something I've thought of posting every time I see a newb asking for first grow advice, and then getting directed to a PF variant. So it was quite useful to me.

Sorry, I feel fine, have a good one :heart:

Rahz

--------------------
rahz

Offlinenuk1m
Dutchman
 User Gallery

Re: Who says PF tek? (rant) [Re: mikeownow]
    #5661123 - 05/22/06 06:00 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

the hardest part of grain is getting the moisture content right.. pf tek is a little more forgiving on that aspect.

--------------------
Tucked neatly below my belt

InvisibleDragonaut

#5661131 - 05/22/06 06:01 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Who says anyone needs to grow pounds of mushrooms? PF Tek is all that most people need.

--------------------
:dragon:

Offlinesplifner180
Student
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, East Coast
    #5661137 - 05/22/06 06:03 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I have to admit, I spent a while reading the forums (maybe a month) before jumping in and I couldn't think of a reason to go pf-tek so I'm starting with grains. I can see a place for pf for people who (a) only want a small, low-budget grow and/or (b) don't yet have a PC.

I take that back, I can see a third reason; those who want to "try it out first" and spend pretty much nothing because most of the items in the pf method are sitting around the house already.

Just my 2c.

splif

--------------------
First Grow: Ecuador -> LC -> HPoo/Straw -> Monotub
Build a Do-It-Yourself Magnetic Stirrer in thirty minutes with no money.

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Who says PF tek? (rant) [Re: ]
    #5661167 - 05/22/06 06:11 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

>>>>What about if you got PF-TEK spawn to Poo then you get same results as you would using grain, right?

Yea, that's true. I've actually done it. Grain still wins on cost per jar, and prep time per quart. After I bought a PC I didn't see the point.

Rahz

--------------------
rahz

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
Trusted Cultivator
    #5661217 - 05/22/06 06:23 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

you got it rahz... grain is def cheeper.

but also, grain can fuck up alot. Been down these roads....

pf can fuk up too....

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
:thumbup:  My Chocolate Recipe
WBS QUART SPAWN JAR PREPERATION
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

Offlinemikeownow
Humungus fungus

#5661219 - 05/22/06 06:25 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Moisture content with grains can be prety hard. PF-Tek = measured out amounts with little room for error. As grains ooops I simmered to wich should only be 5 minutes. Or oops I didnt dry the grains off good enough. I use a paper towel to dry myn now and They still colonise slow in the jar. So grain is difficult.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Offlinemikeownow
Humungus fungus

#5661225 - 05/22/06 06:26 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Oatman2000

HOW the hell did you contam so much lol!

--------------------

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Who says PF tek? (rant) [Re: Dragonaut]
    #5661227 - 05/22/06 06:26 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

>>>>Who says anyone needs to grow pounds of mushrooms? PF Tek is all that most people need.

Until they run out. A casual shroomer (which I am) could do 1 good bulk grow, and not have to worry about growing again for a year or three.

Shrooms for years, only growing for a month... PF looses again :smile:

Besides, who only wants a little bit? :grin:

Seriously though, I'm not trying to be an ass, there are valid arguments in favour of PF. It's just that "do PF first" seems to be the default response. What I'm saying is, if you're a newb, consider grains. Someone posted earlier asking why their shrooms were only 3" and small. They were doing PF tek. I'd bet they would like a big pile of 6 inchers.

Rahz

--------------------
rahz

Offlinemikeownow
Humungus fungus

#5661239 - 05/22/06 06:29 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

There are much more steps in grains and a newb is concerned with a lot and fear messing up the pf tek- after the pf tek you get the prossess down and are basicaly ready for a next step up. I went from pf tek to grain pooh

--------------------

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Who says PF tek? (rant) [Re: Oatman2000]
    #5661248 - 05/22/06 06:32 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

LOL, I remember that pic.

I've got a tyvek covered jar of grain I PCed 6 months ago. Contam free and drying out. My contam rate is 1 jar out of the dozens I've done so far, and that was because I left the foil cover on without loosening it, condensation above the tyvek contamed and wicked through the tyvek.

Did you ever figure out what was up?

Rahz

--------------------
rahz

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: Who says PF tek? (rant) [Re: Dragonaut]
    #5661396 - 05/22/06 07:13 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

pf invitro
it just doesn't get any easier
nor more reliable than that.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

OfflineMushroomJoe
Myconian
Re: Who says PF tek? (rant) [Re: Hippie3]
    #5661403 - 05/22/06 07:14 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

WOW nice invitro!!!

--------------------
All posts from this user are false.... this user does not actually partake in the mycological community.. all pictures are fabricated pixel by pixel in Adobe Photoshop. This user also accesses the internet from sources other than his own by means of wireless connection. TY

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix