Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesvasanvedana
johnson
Male User Gallery
spore-2-poo loophole?
    #5659579 - 05/22/06 09:59 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Its my understanding that while mycellium can rip through shit like a fat man tears open a twinkie wrapper, you can't get spores to germinate directly onto shit....

I've got some shit ready to be used, and the means to pasteurize it, but I don't want to do liquid culture or have the $ to buy a pressure cooker yet to sterilize grains for my spawn.  I know you can't get spores to directly germinate off straight shit--so how about if you mixed a little of something else in with it? Say, make jars of poo, straw (or BRF?), and verm....I was thinking 60/30/10 or along those lines.  Will having that straw or BRF mixed in with the shit enough to allow the spores to germinate?
If so.....

-any better suggestions for poo/straw or brf/verm ratios?
-do i need to pasteurize the poo/straw before sterilizing it?
-could i just mix the verm with the poo/straw, pasteurize it
all together, then stuff it directly in jars and let colonize?

If this is just impossible, are there any other ways I'm not thinking of to get poo to colonize other than BRF, LCs, or pressure cooked grains?  (I read something about it being possible to sterilize grains via steam, you just have to do it 2 or 3 times in a row.....)

Thanks for any help--I get the feeling I'm trying to do the impossible though  :tongue:

Aum shanti shanti-

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

Re: spore-2-poo loophole? [Re: svasanvedana]
    #5659595 - 05/22/06 10:07 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

1) make liquid cultures

2) this is not advanced mycology

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Offlinesvasanvedana
johnson
Male User Gallery
Re: spore-2-poo loophole? [Re: EquilibriuM]
    #5659630 - 05/22/06 10:27 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I don't want to get involved with liquid cultures right now.  Will my idea simply not work (if not, why?).

Sorry about the forum selection--can this post be transferred to regular cultivation forum?  :frown:

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #5659930 - 05/22/06 12:16 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

You could make PF cakes and use the colonized cakes to spawn the poo. No pressure cooker required.

Invisiblemonstermitch
Growing in Bags Doesn't Work

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona Bay Flag
Re: spore-2-poo loophole? [Re: shroomydan]
    #5659956 - 05/22/06 12:25 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

If you do get a pc:

"Cubensis will grow on just about any substrate that is nutritous and has the proper water content. I'll give you a good one:

2 pound of dehyrated manure
1 pound of WBS (doesn't required that you cook it first)
8 cups of vermiculite
1 or 2 tablespoons of black mustard seed (optional)

Get the water mixed in so it is very moist and if you grab a handful and squeeze it firm, water dribbled out. But don't get it so wet that the bottom of the containers look soggier than the top. The mixture needs to hold as much moisture as it can without that soggy look at the bottoms. Got it?

PS - Mix works great for Pan Cyans too, but be careful with those. They can rip your head off. Expect 5X the potency of cubes (I know they say less but they don't know what I do)." -BH

--------------------

Offlinesvasanvedana
johnson
Male User Gallery
Re: spore-2-poo loophole? [Re: shroomydan]
    #5659968 - 05/22/06 12:28 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Aye, my friends got plenty of experience with PF cakes, can't PC yet (did some research on steaming grain--doesn't sound worth the unpredictability), and dont' wanna do LCs (maybe if we fruit some monsters from this experiment!). was hoping for something faster adn stronger than BRF. I've read you can just replace BRF with dark rye grain flour, not too sure how thats gonna compare though. So is germinating directly to steamed/pasteurized straw/poo, or poo/BRF/verm etc. just not possible?

InvisibleDIRTYMAN
Jesusdon'tcomethrough thecotton.
Female
Loc: CZ NIGGUH
    #5660020 - 05/22/06 12:43 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe you can mess with an LC with  this Tek. No pc, no fancy supplies. I don't think those specific jars are absolutely necessary but they are a dollar :smile:

--------------------
I'm racist.                http://k-k-k.com/

Offlinesvasanvedana
johnson
Male User Gallery
Re: spore-2-poo loophole? [Re: DIRTYMAN]
    #5660078 - 05/22/06 01:04 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Its lookin more and more like I have no choice but to do a LC or buy a PCer lol (eitehr that or stick with crappy PF jars). I'm doing this all for a double tub; I've got a couple casings and some jars of b+ on brf I might just spawn with.

I've been lookin at a zillion posts the last few hours, and I still cant' find anything conclusive that says you can or cannot get spores to germinate to poo if it has a good amount of straw/flour etc. in it.....

On a side note--when it comes to double tubs--wouldn't having a single tub thats twice as tall work exactly the same, and have a permanent lid instead of trying to fit one over the other or tape em?

Offlinesvasanvedana
johnson
Male User Gallery
Re: spore-2-poo loophole? [Re: monstermitch]
    #5660135 - 05/22/06 01:17 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

monstermitch--since i don't have a PCer, can i just grind up the WBS (or brown rice?, i got both) mix it all sterilize it and inject?

InvisibleOptx
PronouncedAwp-Tiks
 User Gallery

#5660223 - 05/22/06 01:40 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

why not just go get a $30 PC at walmart?
or even just keep doing your PF steamed jars and throw the colonized jars in some horse poop

--------------------
please do not take everything i say here so personally. welcome to teh internets!

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #5660234 - 05/22/06 01:41 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I know spores will germinate on straw, so i assume that spores will germinate on hpoo with straw mixed in. or anything else spores can germinate on.

dont forgot if you have colonized jars, just spawn those to the poop. if ya got em :wink:

Edited by mushboy (05/22/06 01:44 PM)

Offlinesvasanvedana
johnson
Male User Gallery
Re: spore-2-poo loophole? [Re: Optx]
    #5660304 - 05/22/06 01:59 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Optx--PF style jars are really my only option, I'm just tryin to figure out if you can replace BRF/verm with poo/straw/verm and get the spoers to germinate.  Still too poor for a PCer =(

Once my research takes off Im sure I'll be able to get a government grant for some more sophisticated technology :wink:

OfflineChrissss
poke smoter
    #5660335 - 05/22/06 02:08 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I would suggest using water boiling a little under half up your jars in a pot to streralize a reg PF cake. Do everything somone would do in a reg grow, minus the PCer and use boiling water instead. This is what i do everytime and it works great.

--------------------
http://www.laserspectacular.com/index.htm This is a laser show with pink floyd music. If it comes near you GO! it is amazing

Offlinesvasanvedana
johnson
Male User Gallery
Re: spore-2-poo loophole? [Re: Chrissss]
    #5660531 - 05/22/06 02:50 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I have no prob making PF cakes....will this boiling water method be enough to sterilize grains?

OfflineChrissss
poke smoter
    #5660916 - 05/22/06 04:38 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not sure. I have never tried it. It is worth a try. But why not use your pf cakes to spawn poo? You just finely crumble the cakes up and mix with the shit. I do this all the time and have never used grains.

--------------------
http://www.laserspectacular.com/index.htm This is a laser show with pink floyd music. If it comes near you GO! it is amazing

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: spore-2-poo loophole? [Re: Chrissss]
    #5661898 - 05/22/06 09:16 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Spores must have it ruff in the great outdoors?

:sun:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Offlinesvasanvedana
johnson
Male User Gallery
Re: spore-2-poo loophole? [Re: KaptKid]
    #5662706 - 05/23/06 12:56 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Basically, I was lookin for the fastest colonizing steamable/pasteurizable substrate. Just steamed some pint and quart jars of about 45/45/10 poo/coco/verm (as well as a few jars of coco/verm, like 70-30? can't remember). Will post if this works (don't see why it shouldn't..)

OfflineChromeCrow
one ancient mutha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Hoosier HELL
    #5663108 - 05/23/06 06:14 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

svasanvedana said:

-any better suggestions for poo/straw or brf/verm ratios?

5 cups vermiculite
3 cups manure
10 tblspns BRF
1.5 - 1.75 cups water
(makes 10-12 half pints)

--------------------
ISO: Orissa, Malabar, z strain

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #5664778 - 05/23/06 02:38 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

svasanvedana said:
I have no prob making PF cakes....will this boiling water method be enough to sterilize grains?

No.

BRF verm gets a bad rap. It's really not a horrible substrate. In fact, it makes a pretty darn good spawn given the fact that you can grate it to make a spawn with 1000's of times more inoculation points than grains. Here's a tip, use skim milk in place of water for a standard BRF/verm mix, and the nutritional content is nearly identical to most grains on pound for pound, and pint for pint basis. (note to cover my ass, I've only ever done this with brown rice, verm dehydrated skim milk and water, I didn't actually use skim milk, but I can't imagine what the difference would be just using milk from the jug...) This substrate is steamable, and if you've got a pot big enough, and the time to steam it forever, you can even do large spawn bags of it instead of half pint jars.

Don't get me wrong, there's no way in hell I'd ever go back to BRF/verm instead of grains, but if I had to, I know damn well I could put out results that are every bit as good as a grain based grow. Don't underestimate BRF verm, it's fine, and is way more proven than some patched together winged on the fly made up recipe. Now, somebody show me the proof that using rye flour in place of BRF is sooooo much better, and I'll retract that. But here's the thing, hundreds of thousands of OMCers have been perfectly happy with BRF verm, so just use it, or quit whining and buy a pc!

OK, I just realized a lied. I did go back to using a BRF mix at one time, because it fit in the operation so well for reasons I won't get into. That's when I discovered the skim milk thing. Anyway, I was able to make twenty 1.5 gallon bags of the stuff in a day, mixed, cooked, and 'nocced. I'm tellin' you, don't knock this substrate just because so many people think grain is better. Grain is better, but you can't use grain, so just use BRF, and do the best you can.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #5664880 - 05/23/06 02:56 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

svasanvedana said:
On a side note--when it comes to double tubs--wouldn't having a single tub thats twice as tall work exactly the same, and have a permanent lid instead of trying to fit one over the other or tape em?

Yes, it's called a mono tub.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract