Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineknifeprty6
Stranger
Safe Mushrooms?
    #5651684 - 05/19/06 10:06 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I am using PF Tek. So I had four jars of South American, and they all had slight signs of green mold. I recently read on this forum that this type of mold doesn't transfer to the mushrooms, and are therefore safe to eat. I didn't take the cakes out of the jars, and forgot about them. I just checked on them, and they have huge mushrooms growing out of them. The caps are small, and the stems have slight bluish/greenish on the outsides. Are these rotten or are they safe to eat? Thanks a lot.
I cut them open and they smell fine.

Edited by knifeprty6 (05/19/06 10:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEarthDroid
Old Crank(Veteran)

Re: Safe Mushrooms? [Re: knifeprty6]
    #5651703 - 05/19/06 10:16 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Green mold is not safe, I would chuck them.

Offlinecubensisfrenzy55
Stranger

Re: Safe Mushrooms? [Re: EarthDroid]
    #5651762 - 05/19/06 10:43 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I think if you eat green mold that it might turn you green also. lol

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Safe Mushrooms? [Re: cubensisfrenzy55]
    #5651943 - 05/19/06 11:50 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

If they look fine and smell fine, then they probably are. You can't ID a contam just by the color. There are lots of green molds.

However, I don't know of any case where someone has been poisoned by a green mold. There is a lot of doomsayers here that love to act like eating anything that has ever touched any sort of contam will kill you. The opposite is actually true... there are very few kinds of mold that will have any negative effect on you.

It's better safe than sorry since you can't easily ID the mold, but when was the last time you heard of anyone dying or being hospitalized for eating a bread mold?

-FF

--------------------
It drinks the alcohol and abstains from the weed or else it gets the hose again. -Chemy

The difference between the substances doesn't matter. This is a war on consciousness, on our right to the very essence of what we are. With no control over that, we have no need to speak of freedom or a free society. -fireseed

"If we are going to have a war on marijuana, the least we can do is pull the sick and the dying off the battlefield." -Neal Levine (MPP)

I find the whole "my drug should be legal but yours should be illegal" mindset disgusting and hypocritical. It's what George Bush and company do when they drink a cocktail and debate the best way to imprison marijuana users. -Diploid

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Safe Mushrooms? [Re: fastfred]
    #5652414 - 05/20/06 06:16 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I also pisses me off to no end when folks totally unqualified on the subject spread disinformation on the boards. The green molds that plague mushroom cultivation are ARE NOT TOXIC TO HUMANS. Spreading urban myths does nothing to advance our science.

One should toss out projects with green molds on them because you don't want them to puke spores all over your grow area and house, contaminating future projects. However, picking the mushrooms off a casing layer or cake with a touch of mold does NOT make the mushroom toxic in any way. The commercial mushroom farms never toss out the harvest when they have an outbreak of trichoderma, nor does the FDA expect them to.

If you have a Penicillin allergy, toss out any cakes that have BLUE mold on them. However, since I grew my very first mushroom crop back in 1972, I've only seen Penicillium mold three or four times, other than on agar. It prefers bread and cheese over manure/grains.

For those of you who keep repeating the lie that molds will harm you, did you never even wonder what makes blue cheese salad dressing blue? http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mbluecheese.html
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #5652450 - 05/20/06 06:47 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Safe Mushrooms? [Re: FooMan]
    #5652463 - 05/20/06 07:03 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I actually had a paragraph in my answer above about people with HIV/AIDS to avoid breathing the spores, but was afraid it would be twisted around later to say green mold spores can kill you, so I took it back out...lol There have been cases where people with a compromised immune system have actually had spores from trichoderma and cladosporium germinate and begin to colonize within their lungs. That's just one more reason to toss out any projects with green molds on them. However, the above is from breathing in the spores from a moldy house or basement, not from eating a mushroom.
RR

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Safe Mushrooms? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5652494 - 05/20/06 07:19 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I wasn't rrying to contradict what you had said RR. I was just throwing out a link for the original poster so that he could read up a little on trich and what it really is. I've read alot about it and from what I've gathered, it seems safe for those with normal immune systems. I have also read that not much research has been done as far as the health effects of mycotoxins on humans.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Invisiblenalbano34
mushmouth

Loc: Up your butt and around t...
    #5655738 - 05/21/06 10:00 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I kinda had a felling that was being blown out of proportion...thanks for that info gentlemen!

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Safe Mushrooms? [Re: FooMan]
    #5656597 - 05/21/06 02:40 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

FooManShroom said:
I have also read that not much research has been done as far as the health effects of mycotoxins on humans.

Seek and ye shall find. There's been plenty of research done on mycotoxins. However, most of the research has focused on mycotoxins that are actually toxic... go figure.

You just aren't going to find many papers or case studies of the "Billy ate some green mold and nothing bad happened" type. It just isn't publishable.

The US spends a lot of money on crop disease research every year. I can guarantee that if it grows on any type of grain and causes either lowered yield or human health problems... It's been well studied.

-FF

--------------------
It drinks the alcohol and abstains from the weed or else it gets the hose again. -Chemy

The difference between the substances doesn't matter. This is a war on consciousness, on our right to the very essence of what we are. With no control over that, we have no need to speak of freedom or a free society. -fireseed

"If we are going to have a war on marijuana, the least we can do is pull the sick and the dying off the battlefield." -Neal Levine (MPP)

I find the whole "my drug should be legal but yours should be illegal" mindset disgusting and hypocritical. It's what George Bush and company do when they drink a cocktail and debate the best way to imprison marijuana users. -Diploid

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck