Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
An interesting email exchange
    #5650380 - 05/19/06 01:55 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Last month I got the following email sent to me about mushrooms. Please note that this person referred to me as John. I do not know him. So he must know of me, more so than he implies in his email tome.

Email 1:

Quote:

John,
i have developed an intrest in searching for "magic shrooms". i have heard of the dangers of miss-identifying mushrooms and hope to exercise the most caution possible. the other day i was cutting the grass and i came across some mushrooms that i hope are the notorious "liberty caps". i looked at some of the pictures on your website and i believe thats what they are. but im not sure. they have a purpleish brown sporeprint and they fit the appropriate demintions but they dont bruise blue. i am still in the early stages of learning how to properly identify shrooms and i am seeking the help of a seasoned veteran. i live near atlanta georgia.
thanks -will

Now here is the email I sent back to him.

Quote:

IF you had read anything about liberty caps (Psilocybe semilanceata) you would have learned that they are a fall mushroom. They appear in mid to late September through December until the freeze or frost or whichever comes first. They do not grow where you are at all and only appear in northern climates such as the PNW, Upper State New York, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Bc, Canada, And also in the UK, Europe, Baltic States and Russian. Other regions include australia and New Zealand as well as northern India.
Not in Georgia.

And although you say you looked at pictures at Shroomster Enterprises Mushroom John's Shroom World, you obviously did not read the descriptions page of the Psilocybe semilanceata mushroom description which would have told you that.

And then he sent me back this response:

Quote:

man fuck u asshole. what the fucks your problem? not very friendly to people who want to enjoy your hobbie are u? mother fucker!

Now, here is my question.

Was I too Hard on him? Or was I being too rude?
Sometimes I think people lay games with their questions in emails to me. Especially since I rarely use my name of John, although, many members here c sometimes respond to my posts wtih the reply of using the name John.

I do not mind, but from people I never met it is odd, since most known me as mj or mjshroomer and usually refer to me as such.

I assumed since he knew the word liberty cap, he must have at least looked or known it was named Psilocybe semilanceata.

The page onmy site does not list liberty caps for a description. It lists Psilocybe semilanceata. So I believe he had to k have known its full name to look up the photos for liberty caps at my site. Even though he referred to it in his first email as the 'nortorious' liberty caps.

Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

mjshroomer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKidgardFromSRQ
Strange

Re: An interesting email exchange [Re: mjshroomer]
    #5650428 - 05/19/06 02:04 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

well, you werent really hard on him. you just kind of called him out on his mistakes. choice of words does impact statement alot too. using words like obviously as an adjective to add on to the statement that they didnt, is like making an already somewhat negative statement seem even more directed at criticism. although I dont think you were trying to criticize him, I just think that's the way you talk.

next time just state the facts and tell him to maybe read over the information more thouroghly. you do have a somewhat rough way of being blunt.

--------------------
Be nice to people in general. Even if you don't like them.

Offlinetheuser
DON'T LOOK
Male User Gallery
Re: An interesting email exchange [Re: KidgardFromSRQ]
    #5650432 - 05/19/06 02:04 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

A little hard but he did freak out...

--------------------
:heart:

OfflineKidgardFromSRQ
Strange

Re: An interesting email exchange [Re: theuser]
    #5650437 - 05/19/06 02:05 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

yeah, write a quick response saying. You need to grow up!

--------------------
Be nice to people in general. Even if you don't like them.

Offlinedidjin_d
mmm....
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #5650441 - 05/19/06 02:06 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Your first sentence comes off as a bit harsh:

"IF you had read anything about liberty caps (Psilocybe semilanceata) ..."

I could see how that may have upset or embarassed him a bit. However, his response was completely inappropriate.

Next time just stick to the facts, don't make it personal.

-DD

--------------------
" learning how to cook will save you money, usually make you healthier, and occasionally get you laid. "
-Shags420

"Most of the people who ask the question 'Do any psilocybin mushrooms grow around here?' would rather change their way of looking at reality rather than face the difficult and discouraging task of transforming reality itself"
-David Aurora, Mushrooms Demystified

OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
    #5650462 - 05/19/06 02:14 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

My thought is that your a very experience and knowledgeable person that has contributed to this field more then most could.

And with that I can only assume that you get shit loads of questions and I am sure you could (and might) be able to answer them in your sleep. That must get tiresome.

My opinion is that your were talking to another "experienced" person, and if that was the case then your response was fine, understandable.

But this was a newbie, and should be handled much differently. Not reading them the riot act. Remember even if you dont consider your self an person of importance others do and seek you out for your opinion, and then to feel like your calling them stupid can be frustrating.

--------------------

Atheist Chat

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
    #5650468 - 05/19/06 02:17 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

hi..John

I think the guy snapped because you didn't kiss his ass!~

I really don't think that you were too hard on the guy.

Maybe if you had said....

I'm sorry but Liberty caps don't grow in your area.
But if you would like to come visit me in Washington State...
I'd be more than glad to put you up and feed you...
then take you mushroom hunting with me and a few friends.

:smirk:

fuck him!~

he isn't worth your time or energy!~

tc bro!~

~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleBLAST_420
Stranger
Re: An interesting email exchange [Re: Roadkill]
    #5650491 - 05/19/06 02:25 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I think that he might be some teenage black kind in Atlanta and got pissed because thats what they do for no apparent reason, just send him a message saying that you dont deal with kids.

Offlinetheuser
DON'T LOOK
Male User Gallery
Re: An interesting email exchange [Re: BLAST_420]
    #5650510 - 05/19/06 02:30 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Just leave it alone. Fuck'em.

--------------------
:heart:

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
    #5650599 - 05/19/06 03:06 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

'm sorry but Liberty caps don't grow in your area.
But if you would like to come visit me in Washington State...
I'd be more than glad to put you up and feed you...
then take you mushroom hunting with me and a few friends.

:smirk: :rotfl:

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#5650693 - 05/19/06 03:41 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

You were straight to the point and straight forward. Some people need a good pat on the back and an awesome thanks for joining us reply. I say to hell with that. You told him what he asked for.

But maybe he took harshly to "IF you had read anything". But maybe he was madder at himself for not.......

OfflineEarthDroid
Old Crank(Veteran)

#5650753 - 05/19/06 03:57 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think you responded too harshly. The initial line was a bit harsh, but the fact that you provided him with lots of great information makes up for that. His ignorant reply prooves that you had the initial response to assume he should have been more smart and read.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #5651463 - 05/19/06 08:14 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks to roadkill and all the others who responded to this thread.

I think form his rude response to me he was a teenager,.

Most people in the mid to late twenties would not have respnded so.

My main response was that he already had read a bit about P. semilanceata to know that those were the liberty cap shrooms.. IT was his wroding ofd the 'notorious' liberty caps. Since they are common in the fall and are well known, I would more or less say the elusive liberty cap because one has tobend over to part the sedge and other wild grasses whose roots their mycelia grows along to find them, although in some fields they are3 always visible from standing. Depends on the length of the grasses.

In sheeop field sthy are usually very visible becasue the sheep mow the fields.

mj

Yes I do get letters. Today I looked at over 150 letters and deleted them form the mail box w2 and their are still over 350 letters left to view.

mj

and have a shroomy day

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #5651550 - 05/19/06 08:58 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

the emailer has been hiting the bong way to many times form the wounge side.

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: An interesting email exchange [Re: BLAST_420]
    #5651706 - 05/19/06 10:17 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

BLAST_420 said:
I think that he might be some teenage black kind in Atlanta and got pissed because thats what they do for no apparent reason, just send him a message saying that you dont deal with kids.

lol, mustve been a black person.

InvisibleDisco Cat
iS A PoiNdexteR

#5652028 - 05/20/06 12:34 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I do think your reply was too much of a dig into him. Not saying that's how you meant it, but if you look at the words and then imagine having them directed at you it doesn't sound too friendly.

The degree of angst in his retort is probably relative to the level of connectivity that he felt towards you when sending his first letter.

So I'd claim that you didn't recognize his enthusiasm and so responded without compassion, and this hurt him.

However, that may not have been your intention at all, perhaps in email exhanges you assume that respect is mutual regardless of the words chosen. Neverless, considering the perspective of others in an act of love.

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger

Loc: Texas
    #5652071 - 05/20/06 12:54 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

You were a bit hard on him, I think. That guy is an idiot though if he takes offense at that.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies