Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Rolled ankle/sore wrist
    #5635977 - 05/16/06 12:35 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Alright, so the summer is starting off a tad rough for me..

I rolled both my ankles in the same week 2 months ago, learning to drop stairs on my skate. (it was a 2 set, how embarassing.) My left is pretty much fine now, but my right i wrap everyday and is extremely painful if i step on it wrong.

Ive been trying to abstain from activities which slow my healing, but it is summer - i skate everyday (just rolling, no tricks), ride my bike, and jump out of the odd tree...

It seems hopeless trying to heal, but slowly but surely im told. Ive heard hot soaks in the evening with epsom salts might help.. Anything else?
-----

Beside that, the other day i was maching down the hill from my front yard, hit an invisible rock, and went tumbling forward and rolling down the sidewalk without a step off my skate. Luckily me or the skate didnt get hit by a car but for a couple days after i was convinced i may have fractured a joint bone in my wrist - its been over a week and still hurts alot to bend backwards or sideways, its a sharp piercing pain but isnt sensitive to the touch. I have practically no strength in it...

Considering going for x rays but would rather not resort to that...

advice on healing would be much appreciated.

thanks.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
Re: Rolled ankle/sore wrist [Re: PDU]
    #5636295 - 05/16/06 02:52 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

MSM pills, d-Glucosamine sulfate pills, maybe some extra vitamin E, flaxseed oil. the best stuff for joints in my experience are the MSM and the Glucosamine sulfate. :thumbup:
but good nutrition in general wouldnt hurt, fruits, n shit like that.

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

#5636663 - 05/16/06 08:25 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Ouch. Yeah, apart from anti-inflammitories, make sure you wrap that sucker as soon as it tweaks. If you don't, it will allow swelling which suchs. I've skated on rolled ankles as long as they were wrapped right away, knowing that once I got home I'd feel the punishment.

RICE.

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elivation

If you skate, live by this if you want your ankles to stay alive..

I'd personally hit up some good nugs after a little ankle roll, but I found that sativas made me "feel" the pain a lot more, it would throb and get to my head. If you have and heavier indicas, smoke that to numb the pain.

I used to skate lots and I was the king of rolled ankles. I learned to kickflip on the spot on my first day, but it was landing primo while kickflipping in the house that really set my ankle for life.

A few years later I was filming and did a long 5-0 on a flat bar, landed, back leg slid off (I skate goofy) and I tweaked my GOOD ankle all because I had new shoes and socks.... too much starch in the socks and my foot slipped right out. All downhill from there. Enjoy skating but be careful. I wish I could bust like I did in the old days, but it's a painful sport. People around town still joke about how I never, ever "fell" when I skated... guess I have good balance. But I paid the price for standing on my feet, I'd roll my ankles or tweak them just enough to put me out for the day. Learn how to fall down and roll... seriously.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

#5646956 - 05/18/06 04:30 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I'm in the same category. Rolled my ankles numerous times and they are beat now. My right ankle in particular has been giving me problems for the last 6 years, the result of one particularly nasty injury (I also skate goofy). I'm not sure if I fractured or tore something but its never been the same since and I didn't see a doctor after it happened which I should have done.

Usually whenever I roll an ankle it will heal within two weeks and I can get back to skating without a problem. After that one incident though, I went skating two weeks later, tried a kickflip and it immediately felt like I re-injured my ankle. That went on for months and now the slightest misstep will cause serious pain. I still skate all the time but I have to take it easy these days.

My adivce, ice your ankle if it isn't too late, wrap it tight and STAY OFF IT for a while. Its injured, give it a chance to heal up properly or else you'll pay for it like I am...

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: Rolled ankle/sore wrist [Re: TheDude]
    #5648834 - 05/19/06 01:38 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Ive been riding my bike around town, and will be fruitpicking within the next month. Hopefully an extended break off the deck will help alot.

Thanks for the advice.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleWIZOLZ
Poor with Needs
Male User Gallery

Loc: Monte Carlo
    #5649120 - 05/19/06 04:35 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Though its been some time now, since I've rolled a good ankle or two (much more balanced) I can relate all to well with the frustration involved. There is some good advise here, which I wish I had known while I was still into sk8in (We say well never quit...*sigh) I think what's basically happening is that you've damaged a serious tendon/muscle which helps stabilize the foot, this will eventually heal and be stronger IMO if dealth with properly. So let it heal and dont fuck around with it, honestly. You'll be able to sk8 anytime, if you mess your body now, then you'll regret it later. Asides from this, I want to advocate to every sk8er on this board, from personal experience (6 seasons Vet)...Invest in a good set of knee braces, ankle braces and wrist braces. Honestly, there not uncomfortable if you get the good ones and line it with a silk material and they will decrease the possibility of tendonitos (which I have now and it sucks) O.K !!!!!???!!!!

I just re read your post about the wrist accident and my advise. GO GET THE FREAKIN X-RAY!! Seriously, worst case scenario is you'll get a rad fiber-glass cast and that fucking owns, ecspecially on your wrist. I would then reccamend keeping the cast for a later project. I wish I had kept my cast's now (wrist and elbow). It's never as bad as it seems, but from what you've explained it sounds like a chiped or fractured bone. If you live in Canada, then your clear with medicare, I know the system in US seems less attractive. Good Luck man, do whats wise and take action.

--------------------
---------o----o----o-------o------------------------o--o-o-
----------------------------------------------------------------
Requim for a Dream - Paul Oakenfold
---------------------------------------------------------------
"The mis/abuse of any form of power, is the worst form of ignorance"
-------------------------------------------------------------
WIZOLZ - Lover with a Killer's Smile

Edited by WIZOLZ (05/19/06 04:51 AM)

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Rolled ankle/sore wrist [Re: WIZOLZ]
    #5650932 - 05/19/06 05:01 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

You can't do anything if you skate and fuck up your ankles.

I went to the hospital and they pretty much laughed and said stop skateboarding. If you break it and can't walk, then something will be done. My mom's a nurse and refused to do anything to my ankle but help me wrap it and suggest anti inflammitories.

Just get a good ankle brace and keep that with you in case it's needed. Wraps are all right but fucking tedious.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Jump to top Pages: 1