Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinedeXtrous
complete tool
Male

Loc: Australia
What's the deal with cold shocking?
    #5599110 - 05/06/06 09:52 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Hey guys, After incubation of cakes, I hear it is good to "dunk and roll" them.

Now different skeptics have told me that cold shocking can STUNT the growth of my pins, but in so many tek's i've read it can speed it up.

I would appreciate your comments on this situation on whether it is better to dunk and roll in the fridge, or just in my house.

Thanks,

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: What's the deal with cold shocking? [Re: deXtrous]
    #5599154 - 05/06/06 10:05 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

You dunk in the refrigerator to prevent bacteria buildup that would otherwise contaminate your brf if you dunked at room temperature.  Don't confuse that with cold shocking, although it does cold shock them...lol

As for cased bulk substrates, I ran several experiments a few years ago where half the trays were placed in the refrigerator for 24 hours, while the second half were left at room temperature.  Both sets of trays went to the fruiting chamber at the same time.  Every single tray that had been 'cold shocked' pinned two or more days later than trays that had not been cold shocked. 

That is not to say a temperature change can't be a pinning trigger.  However, along with light, a fully colonized substrate, and an increase in air exchange, it is only one of the triggers.

However, cold shock being beneficial or not, you only need to dunk your cakes in the refrigerator if it's extremely hot during the summer months when there could be a bacteria bloom in the water.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What's the deal with cold shocking? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5599222 - 05/06/06 10:27 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I also recommend dunking cakes always, I myself fridge dunk cakes but never casings.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineNeoQ
Stranger
Re: What's the deal with cold shocking? [Re: hyphae]
    #5599805 - 05/07/06 01:16 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

RogerRabbit,

SO whenever we dunk, it is recommended to be in the refrigerator?

I am new and I dunk in room temp.

OfflinedeXtrous
complete tool
Male

Loc: Australia
Re: What's the deal with cold shocking? [Re: NeoQ]
    #5599875 - 05/07/06 01:41 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying:

Dunk & Rolling = Fridge
Cold Shocking = Shouldn't be done "cold" but rather just in room climate.

(please correct if i'm wrong but that's what I interpretated.)

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: What's the deal with cold shocking? [Re: deXtrous]
    #5599962 - 05/07/06 02:13 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

You only need to cold shock woodlovers.

-Gnostic

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What's the deal with cold shocking? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #5600329 - 05/07/06 08:08 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I am going to step out on a limb and say fridge dunking can be a very useful tool with coir casing mixes and/or aggressive myc. I suggest trying it both ways and see for yourself I personally have seen some pretty damn prolific flushes from both with little delay in timing. There is a transitional phase which the mycelium goes from a vegetative to a generative mode this on average takes around 5-7 days I believe fridge dunking can shorten this transition even with it's stalling effects which can be used successfully to regulate myc coverage of the casing with experience. I myself wish more peeps would try using this with uncooperative casings. Sometimes there is often more to see than the obvious.

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: What's the deal with cold shocking? [Re: NeoQ]
    #5600352 - 05/07/06 08:21 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

NeoQ said:
RogerRabbit,

SO whenever we dunk, it is recommended to be in the refrigerator?

I am new and I dunk in room temp.

You need to use the refrigerator for dunking cakes. The reason is that food soaking in room temperature water will begin to grow bacteria in a matter of hours. The refrigerator helps slow down the biological activity while the substrate rehydrates. You should also rinse the cake after the dunk under running water before placing back in the fruiting chamber.

For cased substrates, they rehydrate much faster than cakes, so I usually leave them in the tray with the sink faucet running gently to fill up the tray and let it overlflow. Just let the running water hydrate your trays for an hour or two, and it's plenty. The running water will prevent bacterial buildup just like the refrigerator, as well as to help wash away contaminant spores that may have landed on the surface. The running water doesn't seem to damage or otherwise hurt the primordia or small pins. The next day, they'll have tripled in size.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What's the deal with cold shocking? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5600720 - 05/07/06 11:03 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
You dunk in the refrigerator to prevent bacteria buildup that would otherwise contaminate your brf if you dunked at room temperature.  Don't confuse that with cold shocking, although it does cold shock them...lol

As for cased bulk substrates, I ran several experiments a few years ago where half the trays were placed in the refrigerator for 24 hours, while the second half were left at room temperature.  Both sets of trays went to the fruiting chamber at the same time.  Every single tray that had been 'cold shocked' pinned two or more days later than trays that had not been cold shocked. 

That is not to say a temperature change can't be a pinning trigger.  However, along with light, a fully colonized substrate, and an increase in air exchange, it is only one of the triggers.

However, cold shock being beneficial or not, you need to dunk your cakes in the refrigerator.
RR

It's a trip the way things work. I did the same test in 03 with 90 cakes and 50 casings and my results were the exact opposite. In almost every case the cold shocked ones pinned first. Shrooms, strange little life form.  :wink: :grin:

(Oh yeah I was using the South American, Malabar, PESH, and Orissa strains for the test)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Edited by Magash (05/07/06 11:05 AM)

Offlinebongtoke
Mushies
 User Gallery

Re: What's the deal with cold shocking? [Re: Magash]
    #5600737 - 05/07/06 11:09 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

i think that cubes should not be cold shocked,i did it once cause i thought they werent going to pin good and all it did was old off and prevent it from pinning,if i had left it it would of did just fine,COLDSHOCKING in my opinion is for pan grows only..just my 2 cents

--------------------
GOTTA LOVE POO CAKES!!!

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: What's the deal with cold shocking? [Re: bongtoke]
    #5600770 - 05/07/06 11:21 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I also have quite a few fellow growers over the years that swear by fridge dunking with some great pics also so I won't twist anyones arm but ask that they try it for themselves both ways and then decide for themselves and one thing I can definitely stand behind is the fact it will never hurt anyones grow (FACT).

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in Flag
Re: What's the deal with cold shocking? [Re: hyphae]
    #5600779 - 05/07/06 11:24 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

maybe it depends on the specific strain? (which of course changes from print to print and jar to jar...)

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What's the deal with cold shocking? [Re: Simisu]
    #5600850 - 05/07/06 12:07 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Agreed, cause I bet I could do the same test with the same strains 3 or 4 times and the results would be all over the place. Just the way shrooms work.  :tongue:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineBMArts
Stranger
Re: What's the deal with cold shocking? [Re: Magash]
    #5600966 - 05/07/06 01:05 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Well I have never dunked in the fridge and have never had any problem with bacteria as a result... for me colonized substrate has yet to contam. So I claim that needing to put cakes in the fridge while being dunked to prevent bacteria is really not actually true.

--------------------
Everything I post on this board is pure fiction. Nothing in the post above is real. It is all made up...

May the source be with GNU

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract