Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRedHead
vacuuming air out of terrarium
    #559800 - 02/22/02 02:30 PM (22 years, 30 days ago)

hey,
i read a few posts about using a vacuum to suck the co2 out of the terrarium. i'm using a plastic 38qt bin 19"L x 15"W x 10.5"H. it is practically air tight.
it will be filled about 1/3 of the way up with substrate (worm castings spawned with rye or millet). i plan on making 1 hole on each end of the bin (2 holes total) just above the casing layer. i will pull some polyfill through the holes to provide a filter. another hole will be drilled into the top of the bin- polyfill will be pulled through this hole too. to circulate the air i'll just put the vacuum hose up to one of the holes on either end and suck all the co2 out. fresh air will be pulled into the bin through the top hole- thus circulating the air.

is this a good idea? it just seems that opening the entire bin and fanning several or even a couple times a day allows many things (contams) into your terrarium. this way, all the air that comes in is filtered through the hole on top so not as much unwanted stuff could get in.

i don't have any first hand experience with this- but i was reading and it looks like people have had great success using this method. anyone see any major or minor problems with exchanging the air this way? i usually manage to fuck up the fruiting stage and i wanna do it right this time.

all responses are greatly appreciated.

red

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Re: vacuuming air out of terrarium [Re: RedHead]
    #559826 - 02/22/02 02:48 PM (22 years, 30 days ago)

This is a good idea, save one fact. The vacuum is gonna blow dust and spores in huge quantities into your grow room.
For some time, I've been using a shop-vac to blow fresh air thru. The machine is stuffed full of poly-fill, and has never been used to suck dirt.

OfflineRedHead
Re: vacuuming air out of terrarium [Re: puscle]
    #561761 - 02/24/02 05:39 PM (22 years, 28 days ago)

ahhh, good idea. my vacuum cleaner has a hepa filter on it- will that help enough? just don't want to have to go and buy a shop vac to do this. any other sucking device could use i wonder?

red

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds