Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineiamyour_messiah
Stranger

Jars colonizing, is it mycelium or mold?? (pics included)
    #5593740 - 05/05/06 11:38 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Alright so I checked on my jars today not expecting to see any difference since 2 days ago...but to my surprise there were areas in the jars starting to colonize. From far off it looks pretty much like all the pics I've seen of colonizing jars, but when I look at it real close, it looks pretty fuzzy. Too fuzzy almost....

My fingers are crossed that it's clean, but even if they are contaminated, I'm still happier than if there hadn't been anything happening to the grain. THis is my 3rd attempt at jars and the prior 2 times I didnt see shit except for popcorn sitting in a jar for 1 or 2 weeks :P

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOptx
PronouncedAwp-Tiks
 User Gallery

Re: Jars colonizing, is it mycelium or mold?? (pics included) [Re: iamyour_messiah]
    #5593745 - 05/05/06 11:39 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

that does look a bit more hairy than mycellium should, but this should really be in the Contam board. you'll most likely have some conclusive answers there

--------------------
please do not take everything i say here so personally. welcome to teh internets!

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Jars colonizing, is it mycelium or mold?? (pics included) [Re: iamyour_messiah]
    #5593796 - 05/05/06 11:55 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

the picture quality is terrible.

hard to tell...with the tint color of your picture.

can you get a clearer picture?

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinemikeownow
Humungus fungus

Loc: WA,USA
Re: Jars colonizing, is it mycelium or mold?? (pics included) [Re: Roadkill]
    #5593827 - 05/05/06 12:03 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Does your rye pocorn or what ever in their appear to be a little dry?

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Offlineiamyour_messiah
Stranger

#5593841 - 05/05/06 12:06 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Hmm well I can easily take another pic, but I dunno how I could improve it. What can I do to better the terrible quality, cause I personally thought it was quite clear...clear enough to see the really fuzzy texture of the growth in the first pic at least.

If you mean that I should just change the color/lighting with the camera setting that I can do of course. Ill try to take some more pics later I guess, but dunno how much better they will be than the ones I already posted.

thx so far anyways

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #5593852 - 05/05/06 12:09 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think it's cobweb mold, as the entire jar would likely have some coverage. If your suspect area is localized and remotely white, you likely have mycelia growing.

OfflineHongKongPhooey
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5593868 - 05/05/06 12:12 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

take it outside or use a bright light, also use macro mode (if needed) the little flower. if its contaminated then its gone. give it a day if it spreads too quick its mold if not it might be myc

Offlineiamyour_messiah
Stranger

#5593892 - 05/05/06 12:17 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

About the wetness of the grains, it's funny you should mention that. I do get that impression cause even thought the grains were brought to maximum moisture content (so much in fact that a good amount of them burst open..) they seems to be clumping together a bit in certain parts. Not as if its one huge massive clump but small marble sized clumps here and there.

I was under the impression that that wouldn't be happening since I followed Magash's rye tek in the archive forum and he said if you shake the hell out of the jars right when they come out of the PC there would be no clumping later one. But aside from that they do somehow seem a bit dry to me.

ITs funny cause after simmering them and draining for like 20 mins I was sure it was still waaaay too wet cause if I ran my hand through it there would be alot of moisture on my hand. So I even spread it out on some towels to absorb some of the excess moisture on the outside of the grains...So when the jars are too dry on the inside, is it more likely that you could get some mold growing instead of mycelium?

Offlineiamyour_messiah
Stranger

#5593972 - 05/05/06 12:34 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Ok so here I got 2 more pics with a different light setting. I would say these pics are alot better as the tint is alot less yellow, seems like they are taken under flourescent lighting now...

Offlinemikeownow
Humungus fungus

Loc: WA,USA
    #5594018 - 05/05/06 12:44 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

iamyour_messiah said:
So when the jars are too dry on the inside, is it more likely that you could get some mold growing instead of mycelium?

no lol actually I am trying to get my rye to grow and you have growth and I did the paper towel thing 2 so I should get some growth =D

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Offlinel33tflip1
Thug By Gnetics
Male
Loc: In a freezer
Re: Jars colonizing, is it mycelium or mold?? (pics included) [Re: mikeownow]
    #5594081 - 05/05/06 01:00 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

thats fine

Offlineskeletor
the dude
Loc: heaven on earth
Re: Jars colonizing, is it mycelium or mold?? (pics included) [Re: l33tflip1]
    #5594403 - 05/05/06 02:08 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

that looks pretty cobby to me. i see NO rizo growth which scares me a little.

--------------------
im sorry about your mother. She was a terrible attrative woman.

Get back to nature; hunting burgers and gathering fries.

OfflineYefet2000
HolyLandShroom
Male User Gallery

Loc: IsraHell
Re: Jars colonizing, is it mycelium or mold?? (pics included) [Re: skeletor]
    #5594711 - 05/05/06 03:40 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I had the same thoughts couple of day ago about one jar of mine, and i gave it a day, shook it and now everything is fine, not too much rizo but it looks gr8. just wait a bit.
good luck

--------------------
Me fail english ? Thats unpossible...

Offlineiamyour_messiah
Stranger

Re: Jars colonizing, is it mycelium or mold?? (pics included) [Re: Yefet2000]
    #5595624 - 05/05/06 08:35 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

ya el duderino i was thinking the same thing...although i've never seen any cobweb mold on grain/cakes , it just looks really fuzzy to me. But like the guy said Im just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping itll be ok in the end@!!

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #5595680 - 05/05/06 08:52 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Your rye is on the dry side :wink: bro also I love the shade of green your pics are giving off the kernels. No CB as of the moment IMO.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Jars colonizing, is it mycelium or mold?? (pics included) [Re: hyphae]
    #5596032 - 05/05/06 10:18 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Yea, it actually looks pretty good for spores germinating. It takes awhile usually to see any rhizomorphic mycelium.

If you'll rinse the heck out of your rye berries before you begin the soak or simmer, they won't clump up later. Just put the dry grains in a kettle, fill with water and stir around, then drain out and repeat a few times until the water pours off clear. You'll be amazed at how cloudy and dirty the first few washes will pour off.

I also make my jars a bit on the dry side. I don't ever just case the straight rye, but use it for spawn so it really doesn't matter, and the jars are much easier to shake when a bit dry then when a bit wet.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineiamyour_messiah
Stranger

Re: Jars colonizing, is it mycelium or mold?? (pics included) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5597236 - 05/06/06 09:05 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Thx for that reply RogerRabbit that was actually quite uplifting, but what I'd really like to know...

How do you actually regulate the moisture content of the rye grains. Like I said I think mine were at maximum capacity and then a lot of them ended up bursting. I see no way to increase the wetness, I can only imagine it being less than what it is atm.

Aside from that, though, at the top of the jars where there is no grain there is some condensation on the inside of the jars, so I'm sure the environment in there is quite moist...

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #5597289 - 05/06/06 09:35 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

much better pictures!~

looks like mycelium to me.

to the left side it looks like the start of rhizomorphic mycelium.

you should see more growth of rhizomorphic mycelium each day.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlineiamyour_messiah
Stranger

#5604182 - 05/08/06 08:04 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

So here I am again with a picture update. Would appreciate if you guys could tell me if its still looking like mycelium or not...

thx for any replies

edit: forgot to ask, should I shake these jars today? I know I've read that that increases the colonization time, but the fact is its going pretty quickly anyway (in my opinion) and since its my first attempt I'm kinda afraid that I'll damage it by shaking the jars up....

Edited by iamyour_messiah (05/08/06 08:06 AM)

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in Flag
    #5604206 - 05/08/06 08:22 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

it looks great!

i would shake those... this way you make sure all the inside is also colonized befor you spawn/case it (since then you know for sure how well it's colonized on the inside and you can astimate how much time you need to wait after it looks 100% covered from the outside)

but then again... i have no expiriance with grains... just seems like commons sense to me :smirk:

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom