Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepocketsand
Stranger
 User Gallery
How long after cold shocking should i see pinheads?
    #5580550 - 05/02/06 07:03 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Im using the 50/50 tek and its been about 9 days since i made my casing and still no pinheads. Its about 78-80F with 90% RH in the fruiting chamber. I took the case out of the fridge about midnight last night. Should I see anything anytime soon?

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMycomyth
Demented Avenger
Male User Gallery

Loc: At the crux of the matter...
Re: How long after cold shocking should i see pinheads? [Re: pocketsand]
    #5580580 - 05/02/06 07:29 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

First...repeat after me.

"I, (state your name), will, from this moment forward, strive to develop infinite patience where my mushies are concerned."

You wouldn't expect your children to walk the day they first stand up on their own, would you? Well, mushies demand patience, just like kids.

Now, for something completely different...
First, let me make sure I have read this right...you made your casings 9 days ago, and just took them out of the fridge last night? What else has happened to them during that 9 days? If you just took them out of the cold last night, you can expect a 5-15 day wait for pinning to begin (unless they were in there for 9 days, then it may take even longer).

You'll know when it's close by the appearance of mycelium on the surface of the casing. Around a week after seeing the fluffy (or spikey) myc break the surface, you'll begin to see what looks like little sticks of myc forming and taking on a more "solid" appearance. These are the beginnings of pins. Soon these little "sticks" will begin to form little tan caps...NOW we're pinning!

Once you have pinset, some of them will begin to bolt. They'll increase in size at an astonishing rate. My experience, at this point, is a doubling of fruit tissue about every 12 hours. From pins bolting, to mature fruit, is about 4-6 days.

This is longer than I intended, but ces't la vie! :smile:
HTH,
M

--------------------
Wave upon wave of demented avengers marched cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

OfflineBirthbytongue
Apprentice
Male
Re: How long after cold shocking should i see pinheads? [Re: Mycomyth]
    #5580729 - 05/02/06 08:48 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Mycomyth- for registering on 3/19/06 you seem to know you stuff.... =).
thanks for coming around.

--------------------
--------------------------------------
Proliferation of knowledge is our ONLY weapon!!!!!! WAKE UP the SLEEPING!

OfflineMycomyth
Demented Avenger
Male User Gallery

Re: How long after cold shocking should i see pinheads? [Re: Birthbytongue]
    #5580780 - 05/02/06 09:11 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks, Birthbytongue!! But I'll tell ya', it's no accident that I seem that way. I paid my dues for 2 months before registering by reading nearly every thread, and every tek on this site! I take pride (I know...one of the seven deadlies, but hey) in the fact that I am an excellent student. The ability to learn from others does not come so easily to everyone. The Yang, to my studious Yen, is the fact that I'm a terrible teacher! :banghead:

I am still  very  much a noob, though. My first ever jar is now on flush #3, and I'm already to the point that PFTek is not sufficient for me. It's a GREAT place for noobs, like myself, to start. But, once I tasted grain, I knew I'd never eat cake again!  :laugh: Four trays of cased WBS in the FC as I type! Pins emminent!

Thanks again for the compliment! Positive reinforcement is the SHIZZLE!    :heartpump:

M

--------------------
Wave upon wave of demented avengers marched cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

Re: How long after cold shocking should i see pinheads? [Re: Mycomyth]
    #5580809 - 05/02/06 09:22 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

why did you cold shock? was it dunking when you put it in the fridge? It's common for people to place their casings in the fridge when ducking but cold shocking by itself proves less than optimal. Generally, cold shocked mycelium will take longer to begin fruiting then non- cold shocked mycelium.

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: How long after cold shocking should i see pinheads? [Re: EquilibriuM]
    #5580839 - 05/02/06 09:33 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

78-80 is slightly hig... try to stay within 74-78 range.

OfflineRemainRandom50
Do You Need ToKnow Me?
Re: How long after cold shocking should i see pinheads? [Re: thenewguy05]
    #5580965 - 05/02/06 10:19 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

yea the lower the outside tempature

80 is too hot.

--------------------
At times I get consumed by my everyday life and will leave the Shroomery. Yet, every time drugs come falling into my life for fun.....I always think about the Shroomery and then I'm back!

Offlinepocketsand
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: How long after cold shocking should i see pinheads? [Re: RemainRandom50]
    #5583436 - 05/02/06 09:51 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

yeah sorry about the impatience, but just like you Mycomyth, I did a shit load of research before i started this and i've had my fuckups. Im just eager..

I cold shocked for 24 hours. but here's what my casing looks like now. Tell me if you think its normal for a brazilian strain at ten days.

and take a look at my humidity guages. I dont know which one is correct but the one on the right was more expensive although its humidity only goes up to 90% i think, and the one on the left goes to 95%. Which one should I trust??

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/06-18/662854001-Picture003.jpg

Edited by pocketsand (05/02/06 09:56 PM)

OfflineMycomyth
Demented Avenger
Male User Gallery

#5584624 - 05/03/06 06:52 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I know how you feel about the eager thing. Once you have your first mushies in hand, it will subside some.

That casing looks just fine, shouldn't be long now. It doesn't look unusually slow. What I would do is patch those spots that have appeared early, and keep it in the FC. You're on the home stretch, Pocketsand!

Both of those hygrometers look fine. I would salt test them both, to see which one is closer to right. Take a small bowl, put about 2-3 tablespoons of salt in it, add 2-3 CCs of water. Put this in an airtight container (can be as simple as a ziplock bag) along with your hygrometers and let it equalize for a few hours. In this atmosphere, they should read 75% RH. After they equalize, make a note of the offset (difference between actual reading, and 75%) and note it right on the fromt of each meter. Then, in the future, you'll know exactly where your RH is at. Just keep in mind that, as you approach the limits (high OR low) of a hygrometer, the error margin increases, but is still within the tolerances that we need. Plus or minus a few % is not a problem.

You're almost there now. GL with your project, and keep us posted.

M

--------------------

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Re: How long after cold shocking should i see pinheads? [Re: EquilibriuM]
    #5584714 - 05/03/06 07:49 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

EquilibriuM said:
why did you cold shock? was it dunking when you put it in the fridge? It's common for people to place their casings in the fridge when ducking but cold shocking by itself proves less than optimal. Generally, cold shocked mycelium will take longer to begin fruiting then non- cold shocked mycelium.

i can verify this as i ice bombed my f+ and it seems like it took longer to fruit.

p.s. incase you don't know what ice bombing is

Offlinepocketsand
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5584833 - 05/03/06 08:42 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

AH thankyou kind sirs. I read about that salt thing, and i was literally seconds away from snapping and trying it.

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

#5585053 - 05/03/06 09:55 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

i would patch those little spots that are first coming through like mycomyth said. allow the rest of the mycelium to catch up and form a nice and even layer. that way you will have a bomb ass pinset.

the first few mushies from that strain might be a little small but the next ones to rise will be worthy of printing.

here is a pic of the first ones to pop up on my brazil casing.

good luck

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #5585470 - 05/03/06 12:04 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Cold shocking is for cold weather edibles, not warm weather psilocybes that fruit in Texas and Florida during the hot summer months. By putting your project in the refrigerator, you only delayed your fruiting, nothing else. I typically see pins within six to ten days after applying the casing layer, when kept at room temperature.

Digital hygrometers (in my opinion of course) are not worth the plastic they're made from. Get an analog hygrometer at a cigar shop and you can calibrate it. To calibrate, wrap your hygrometer up in a damp bath towel for half an hour. Unwrap and simply adjust the screw on the back until the dial reads 98%.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinepocketsand
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: How long after cold shocking should i see pinheads? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5586925 - 05/03/06 05:58 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

FIRST PINHEADS!! I just checked and theres about five little guys growing in random spots... I was planning on patching the casing today, but should i still do it??? Would it hurt my little pinheads at all?

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

#5587004 - 05/03/06 06:10 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

i wouldn't... it's kinda too late if they are pinning.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains