Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineoOjonahOo
addict
Identifying a San Pedro at local home depot
    #557886 - 02/20/02 09:01 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Can anyone help with enumerating the identifying characteristics of trichocerous pachanoi? I've been looking at the local home depot but cant seem to get a positive id.

I've looked at a bunch of pictures but don't really have any idea how to evaluate whether a specific specimen meets the taxonomical criteria....or in other words....what should I look for?

--------------------
Ultimate Mycodirectory v4.0

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Identifying a San Pedro at local home depot [Re: oOjonahOo]
    #557926 - 02/20/02 09:54 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

how are you a mod if you cant id a simple pedro?

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
Re: Identifying a San Pedro at local home depot [Re: felixhigh]
    #557937 - 02/20/02 10:11 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Mods don't necessarily know how to cultivate anything....

There job title only includes keeping flamers and dangerous posts in check.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Identifying a San Pedro at local home depot [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #558337 - 02/21/02 09:13 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

oh... i thought mods and admins were the most knowledgeful persons around here.... now i see it's not a rule.
man, i'm not a pedro expert but i'm pretty sure i'll recognize one as soon as i see it.
my best hint is you to study not only pedro's look but the look-alikes also, like cereus spp, myrtillocactus geometrizans for you to know what not to get and upon close examination the differences among them become clear. i have a pic of a myrtillo on an old post on this forum you might like to see. trichs have spines much closer than myrtillo and rounded ribs unlike myrtillo's 'sqare' ribs and cereus thin ribs... good luck!

OfflinePachanguero
    #558380 - 02/21/02 09:53 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I was just at my local Home Depot yesterday. After studying pics on Eurowid, I looked, but didn't see any. I went to Target and bought the only two they had.

Eurowid's pics were very helpful in spotting them. Target also had inserts on the pots positively identifying them as t. pachanoi. Interestingly the sticker said the common name was "candle cactus" so you may want to look for that name in addition to "san pedro".

I can't really describe the green color. You'll have to look for yourself. The spines are rather short on small specimens, growing in clumps on the ridges. The cactus can have any number of ridges, but usually around 6 or 7.

Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

Loc: Philadelphia/NYC
    #558463 - 02/21/02 11:14 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

2 years ago I used to see Pedros at Home Depot, and Target, and all of the usual type places. I never see them any more. I don't know if it's because the chain stores caught on, people now know what cacti to look for and snap thm up before I get there, or what. In other parts of the US it might still be easy to find them in local stores, but here in the Northeast, they just can't be found any more.

OfflineoOjonahOo
addict
Re: Identifying a San Pedro at local home depot [Re: superpimp]
    #558695 - 02/21/02 03:42 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Dude....im not a mod of this forum. Give me a break. I'm a seasoned mushroom cultivator; I'm just getting started with cacti....

but thanks for the help :wink:
Yeah, I think I can recognize the color and general shape, but I was confused about how many spines they should have around the aereoles. anyway, I'll check target.

--------------------

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #559161 - 02/21/02 11:46 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think there's a set number of spines, I could be wrong though. I've never actually counted. The dead give away is the rounded ribs and the ~45degree angle at the aereoles.

Never knew target carried them...I've looked before but never seen one...once I thought I saw one at wal-mart, but upon closer inspection I saw that it wasn't. Maybe I'll have to take another look!

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

OfflineoOjonahOo
addict
Re: Identifying a San Pedro at local home depot [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #559934 - 02/22/02 04:26 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

yeah so I went to target today and found what I think is one...matches the pictures....

i don't have a digicam, but it seems to be that distinctive green color with less than 1/2 cm spines, red/tan in color, 7 or so on an areole, 7 ribs and the ribs are rounded....i feel pretty confident its one.

--------------------

OfflineLeGrouper
enthusiast
Re: Identifying a San Pedro at local home depot [Re: superpimp]
    #559950 - 02/22/02 04:37 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

The reason you don't see any more san pedro is your second guess pimp. I have a friend who works for lowes, which is like home depot, and she says that they get like ten in at a time and someone always comes in and buys all 10. She says it is like one of the biggest jokes going around the store so that when the new t-pachs come in everyone watches to see what punk will come in and buy them all. Then they fuck with em buy saying things like "wow, you like cacti huh? Did you know that these can be psychoactive in large quantities?" and watch them get paranoid. Same thing with the people who buy 30 packs of morning glory seeds.

--------------------
The above post is entirely fictional and should not be taken out of context.

Ali-G
www.boyakasha.co.uk

OfflineMeneerCactus
Ex Operator FSRE
 User Gallery
Loc: The Low Lands
    #560386 - 02/23/02 02:16 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Well a San Pedro is also called Trichocereus Pachanoii.

By just simply asking the manager about the species name you will be helped. San Pedro is common used as a ent cacti! So no suspicion towards the buyer

MeneerCactus
www.meneercactus.nl

--------------------
"Millions of years of evolution just to .... light up a joint"

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
    #561722 - 02/24/02 04:54 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

dont all cacti at stores have a tag in the soil with the name??????

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: Identifying a San Pedro at local home depot [Re: pleezr]
    #563673 - 02/26/02 10:39 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

target usualy does but i've seen peruvianis mislabled as pachanoi so you never know. the last time i saw on at my local target the clerk made a comment about how they couldn't keep them in stock and he had no idea why they where so popular with the collage crowd. he figured it was because they where low mantnence. they also tended to be verry weak.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
    #564159 - 02/26/02 08:13 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

i hear there is massive differences in the poteency of san pedro and the peruvian torch. i would assume that the ones you may find at home depot for example are of a weaker variety. any comments?

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract