Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHumboldtHort
Shit smell?
    #557732 - 02/20/02 06:19 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I was considering doing the Lil' Shop of Spores Sack-o-shit tek once my jars are colonized enough. Have any of you guys out there tried this tek? Will pressure cooking the vermiculite/manure leave my place smelling like complete and udder shit? Will the vermiculite along with a misting after each flush will provide enough humidity? It doesn't make any mention of any other source of humidity. Thanks for the imput.

--------------------
A gram is better than a damn

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHisStudent
enthusiast

Re: Shit smell? [Re: HumboldtHort]
    #557922 - 02/20/02 09:48 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Ya I was wondering about the smell also.
Has anyone here used a comercial composted cow poo substrate?
Does it smell like.... well you know.?.

--------------------
I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.
- Jack Handey

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #558288 - 02/21/02 08:22 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Comercial poos don't stink. I never got results from any brand I tried, but I only tried a couple. Some supposedly work.

Dried poo from the field doesn't stink and always works amazingly well. Horse or Cow.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineHisStudent
enthusiast

Re: Shit smell? [Re: mycofile]
    #558361 - 02/21/02 09:40 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the info micofile.
Why do you suppose is the reson the comercial dung compost's dont work?
The dung compost used is in the " Lil' Shop Sack-o-Shit Tek "
http://www.lilshopofspores.com/Lil%20Shop%20Sack%20o%20Shit%20Tek.htm
sounds like a good one to try. Does anyone have any experience with this compost or any other comercial compost? It would be cool if a few people would list any that they have tryed with success as well as those that did not work. I for one would find this quite useful...........

--------------------
I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.
- Jack Handey

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Shit smell? [Re: HisStudent]
    #558392 - 02/21/02 10:05 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Most commercial composts have already had mushrooms growing from them. The mushrooms break down the complex nutrients into something closer to what plants like which is good for growing plants but bad for growing mushrooms. Look for "mushroom" or "clean" compost.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
Re: Shit smell? [Re: Seuss]
    #558507 - 02/21/02 12:11 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

i thought "mushroom compost" was made FROM decomposing mushroom matter not compost made FOR mushrooms. am i misinformed?

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

OfflineHumboldtHort
Re: Shit smell? [Re: XAZIA]
    #558543 - 02/21/02 12:46 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Why would it matter if there is already fungus in the manure? Wouldn't pressure cooking or nuking take care of those competitors?

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #558563 - 02/21/02 01:02 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Yes. But if a fungus was allready on the substrate its (substrate) nutricional value is decreased.

Peace,
MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Shit smell? [Re: XAZIA]
    #558643 - 02/21/02 02:23 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

The stuff my friend sometimes uses is called "Mushroom Compost" and has a small label on it stating that it is for use in growing mushroom beds. I have heard of others that have the "Clean" label and mean the same thing, though that isn't from first friend experience.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineHumboldtHort
    #558823 - 02/21/02 05:52 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Cool. I think I'm going to try this tek with a couple of jars and case the others with coir. Everyone seems to praise coir. Thanks for the feedback.

--------------------

Invisiblenight trainV
Stranger
Male

Loc: Midwest US
    #558889 - 02/21/02 07:14 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

The mixture used in the sack o shit tek doesn't smell a bit. And no, no extra humidification is needed if used exactly as in the tek. And yes the compost/manure is store bought, and the pictures at the end of the tek pretty much show the results that can be had.

--------------------
Lil' Shop of Spores - Exotic Mushroom Spores From Around the World
Save 10% Off Any Order Use Coupon Code: SHROOMERY

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #559454 - 02/22/02 08:49 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Nowhere near enough people grow mushrooms for any store to sell compost intended for growing mushrooms on. If you buy a bag of mushroom compost from a store, iit is from compost that has been used already at a commercial mushroom farm. this means all the nutrients are gone. Great for the garden, may work as a casing, horrible bulk substrate.

Most other types of manure or compost are not from mushroom farms. The problem is that composts ideal for mushrooms are incomplete composts. Incomplete composts are horrible for gardens, so stores don't sell them. The products they sell vary a good bit in the ingredients and levels of decomposition. As I said, all brands I tried were either full of trash (sticks/peat/woodchips) or were so decomposed that they were basically bags of soil, not manure or compost any more.

Apparently the brand mentioned in the sackoshit tek works, at least judging by pictures. I would be very suspicios of any other brands and would not count on them the first time. Especially anything claiming to be mushroom compost. That said, with high spawn rates, just about anything will work as it will be functioning more like a casing than a bulk substrate. Just don't count on repeated flushes of the type you are dreaming about.

If you want consistent, gauranteed outstanding results, get old dry cow pies or horse poo from a field. Farmers are used to having gardeners stop to get a couple of buckets and will be very nice if you ask before you go in their field. Tell them it's for your garden or garden compost pile. Offer to bring them some veges at the end of the season.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag