Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Gasoline Price Hits $7 a Gallon in England
    #5577005 - 05/01/06 11:48 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Gasoline Price Hits $7 a Gallon in England
The Daily Auto Insider
Monday, May 1, 2006
May 2006

While Americans complain about $3-per-gallon gas, drivers in Britain and much of continental Europe wish they had it so good, according to a story in the Washington Post.

The average gasoline price in Britain has risen 19 percent since January 2005 to a national average of $6.48 a gallon. And many stations are charging well above that, with at least one in London's chic Chelsea neighborhood charging nearly $8 a gallon last weekend.

What's more, drivers in 11 European countries are now paying an average of more than $6 a gallon for gasoline, according to Britain's AA Motoring Trust. The disparity between European and American gasoline prices is accounted for by high taxes charged in Europe, where governments have long used gasoline taxes as an important source of revenue and as a policy tool to drive down oil consumption and reduce pollution.

Taxes account for about 66 percent of the pump price in Britain. Of the current average price per gallon of $6.48, about $4.27 goes to the government, while U.S. drivers pay an average of about 46 cents per gallon in combined state, federal and local taxes, according to the Tax Foundation, an independent organization in Washington.

http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyautoinsider/11068/gasoline-price-hits-7-a-gallon-in-england.html

GOVERNMENT....PRICE GOUGING???!!!??? Where is the MSM?????

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: Gasoline Price Hits $7 a Gallon in England [Re: lonestar2004]
    #5577559 - 05/01/06 02:58 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

"The disparity between European and American gasoline prices is accounted for by high taxes charged in Europe, where governments have long used gasoline taxes as an important source of revenue and as a policy tool to drive down oil consumption and reduce pollution."

The high cost of fuel and automobile ownership in Europe combined with mass transportation that is relatively inexpensive, very extensive and on time has reduced their dependency on oil over the years. Meanwhile in the US we have lots of freeways overloaded with SUVs and full sized trucks with one person in them waiting in traffic jams as the car pool lane traffic zooms by.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Gasoline Price Hits $7 a Gallon in England [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #5577647 - 05/01/06 03:24 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

yup... plus, from what i understand, much of the taxes go back into the people in europe, while in the us most of the taxes go back into the government / contracts.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: Gasoline Price Hits $7 a Gallon in England [Re: kotik]
    #5577710 - 05/01/06 03:47 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

What amuses me is that the article presumes that people in Europe are jealous of our gasoline prices in the U.S. My guess would be that while Europeans aren't thrilled to be paying $ 7 a gallon, most would rather pay the higher price and taxes and get the benefits of the taxes and reduced fuel dependency and lower pollution.

What's next, the Washington Post or AP trying to convince us that people in France are jealous of our being able to eat cheaply and quickly at McDonald's instead of their having to eat all that expensive French cuisine?

My favorite spin is the AP one that proclaims "oil costs have yet to reach the inflation adjusted all time high levels of 1981". It's amazing, words to this effect are in virtually EVERY AP article about oil prices. This is supposed to make us feel better?

"Gee, even though in actual dollars these oil prices are the highest ever, be glad you aren't getting reamed quite as badly as you did 25 years ago when inflation was the highest ever."

--------------------

Edited by LunarEclipse (05/01/06 03:48 PM)

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5577740 - 05/01/06 03:55 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I pay about $6 a gallon for petrol in Scotland. I don't really mind. Public transport is reasonably good and inexpensive.

I suspect that people in the US demand lower petrol prices partly because they hate the government "taking" their money (which I guess is part of the traditional USA small government anti-tax ethos), but also because the population density in the US is much lower than in much of Europe. Americans often drive hundreds or thousands of miles a week, and have to travel long distances to get to essential services, to a much greater extent than in much of Europe and certainly the UK.

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Charm City
Re: Gasoline Price Hits $7 a Gallon in England [Re: OJK]
    #5578082 - 05/01/06 05:05 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Odiumjunkie said:
I suspect that people in the US demand lower petrol prices partly because they hate the government "taking" their money (which I guess is part of the traditional USA small government anti-tax ethos), but also because the population density in the US is much lower than in much of Europe. Americans often drive hundreds or thousands of miles a week, and have to travel long distances to get to essential services, to a much greater extent than in much of Europe and certainly the UK.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. We also like to drive short distances, for example, to the end of the block to buy a pack of cigarettes, instead of walking. It's the American way.

--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil

- Thomas Paine

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Gasoline Price Hits $7 a Gallon in England [Re: gluke bastid]
    #5578284 - 05/01/06 06:06 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

u damn right. I even drive around while smoking cigs and weed. yep.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #5578534 - 05/01/06 07:27 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

gluke bastid said:
Quote:

Odiumjunkie said:

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. We also like to drive short distances, for example, to the end of the block to buy a pack of cigarettes, instead of walking. It's the American way.

Then how do you explain the prices in Canada. We pay on average over $4 a gallon and have a less dense population than the USA.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: Gasoline Price Hits $7 a Gallon in England [Re: barfightlard]
    #5578597 - 05/01/06 07:47 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

"Then how do you explain the prices in Canada. We pay on average over $4 a gallon and have a less dense population than the USA."

If you hosers are willing to pay $ 4 a gallon, I would say you have a more dense population than the USA.  Here, we are smart enough to only pay $ 3 a gallon.  :smirk:

--------------------

Edited by LunarEclipse (05/01/06 07:48 PM)

InvisibleRogues_Pierre
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5580671 - 05/02/06 08:17 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like the Europeans governments are raking in more oil profits than Haliburton.

--------------------

InvisibleRogues_Pierre
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5580676 - 05/02/06 08:18 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
"Then how do you explain the prices in Canada. We pay on average over $4 a gallon and have a less dense population than the USA."

If you hosers are willing to pay $ 4 a gallon, I would say you have a more dense population than the USA.  Here, we are smart enough to only pay $ 3 a gallon.  :smirk:

Canadian dollars or US dollars?

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #5580842 - 05/02/06 09:35 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
most would rather pay the higher price and taxes and get the benefits of the taxes and reduced fuel dependency and lower pollution.

Has it worked?????

Do London and Paris have beautiful clear Sky's???(No Pollution....)

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleRogues_Pierre
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5581003 - 05/02/06 10:38 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

The French have been known to release radiation into the environment occasionally from their nuclear industry.

--------------------

Offlinegluke bastid
Stinky Bum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Charm City
Re: Gasoline Price Hits $7 a Gallon in England [Re: Rogues_Pierre]
    #5581299 - 05/02/06 12:21 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Rogues_Pierre said:

Canadian dollars or US dollars?

I was wondering this myself. That would be a fine explanation right thar.

--------------------
:hst:
Society in every form is a blessing,
but government at its best is but a necessary evil

- Thomas Paine

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #5581352 - 05/02/06 12:40 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

#5581361 - 05/02/06 12:44 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Lower is a relative thing. I did not say the skies of London or Paris were not polluted, just that the air pollution is less than it would be if more people could afford to drive cars instead of using the tube or the double deckers.

--------------------

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Re: Gasoline Price Hits $7 a Gallon in England [Re: trendal]
    #5581403 - 05/02/06 12:59 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

It looks like based on that chart that gas prices are averaging about 20% higher in Canada vs. US when expressed in Canadian cents/liter.

Here is something I found on the Canadian Automobile Assn. site on gas taxes in Canada.

Q. How much of the price of gasoline am I paying in taxes?

A. That depends on where you live in Canada and where you buy your gasoline. Taxes are usually responsible for the largest component of gasoline prices. On average, Canadian taxes represent 40 to 50 per cent of what you pay at the pumps.

The federal portion consists of the excise tax, which is 10 cents per litre. In addition, the Goods and Services Tax, which is 7 per cent, is added to the total pump price, and is effectively a tax on tax. (In the Atlantic, the GST is represented as a portion of the Harmonized Sales Tax.)

The provincial tax portion varies from province to province. Provincial taxes range from 6.2 cent per litre in the Yukon to 16.5 cents in Newfoundland and Labrador. In some urban centers, such as Vancouver and Montreal, an additional transit tax is levied.

Studies have shown that federal and provincial governments receive about $10 billion per year in gasoline taxes. Federal taxes go into general coffers and help to fund a range of programs. Provincial gasoline taxes are allocated as determined by each provincial jurisdiction.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Gasoline Price Hits $7 a Gallon in England [Re: trendal]
    #5581920 - 05/02/06 03:58 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Ooooh. Speaking of charts of gas prices, I found a goodie a few weeks ago and forgot to post it.

From http://ace.mu.nu/archives/172704.php --

Quote:

Whoa: Check Out A Graph Superimposing Oil Increases With Bush's Popularity Plunge

Unbelievable. The one tracks the other almost perfectly. If you presented this kind of graph to a statistics professor he'd probably flunk you for faking your data.

Dave at Garfield Ridge suggests, for purely scientific reasons I'm sure, testing this hypothesis, by, say, releasing tens of millions of gallons of oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

Around October, I'm thinking. That's the best time to run scientific tests.

And here's the graph he's talking about --

As always, click the graph to enlarge. Credit to the graph goes to http://heavylifting.blogspot.com/2006/04/gasoline-prices-iraq-or-both.html

You can go there for links to further analysis.

The obvious question is:

Is Bush's popularity declining in response to rising gas prices or are gas prices rising in response to Bush's falling popularity? We ask, you decide!

And no, this is not a spoof graph -- it is a real and accurate graph using data readily available on the net. If you think it's not accurate, you can go to those open sources and plot a graph of your own using Excel or a similar program.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinehuntershiz
Shithead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Georgia on my mind
    #5588733 - 05/04/06 01:03 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Wait till school lets out

--------------------

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Gasoline Price Hits $7 a Gallon in England [Re: huntershiz]
    #5589517 - 05/04/06 10:27 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I just payed 2.79 for supreme in texas.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder