Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRedHead
spawning worm castings with rye and millet
    #556265 - 02/19/02 01:01 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

hey,
just got my b+ syringes today. gonna use them to inocculate 6 quarts of rye and 6 quarts of millet. jars will be prepared via:

http://shroomery.org/faq/faq.php?display=faq&nr=67&catnr=5&prog=1&lang=en

(i'll use method (2.) and soak grains for 24 hours). the above link doesn't mention a particular psi, but i will do it at 15.

once colonized, i plan on mixing 1-2 quarts with 7 quarts of worm castings. i can't find worm castings around here, so i plan on getting them from either:

http://www.vermitechnology.com/fertlizer_soil.html
http://www.atlantishydroponics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?

the bin i plan on using is a 38qt sterilite bin (it is opaque, so a large square hole will be cut into the top and plexiglass/plastic will be silicone glued over it). it's dimensions are 20"L x 15"W x 11"H. is this a good size bin to mix up 2 colonized quarts with 7 quarts of worm castings?

basically, i need to know how much substrate i should put in this bin so that it becomes like a mini rainforest inside, simply because of the amount of substrate in there. i'm running along the same lines as the db kit here. also, how many holes (how big? where exactly?) should be made in the lid of the bin so that proper air exchange is provided without having to open the lid. should polyfill be pulled through the holes to provide any sort of filter?

i assume the worm castings need to be sterilized- i would like to just load up 7 quart jars (my p.c. is 17qt and can do 7 quart jars at one time) and pressure cook them in order to sterilize. will this work? should i be adding any water to the castings before/after i sterilize? how long and at what psi should i sterilize? should anything be added to the worm castings? gypsum or oyster shell? i have never worked with castings before- it sounds like the shit thanks for any help guys.

red

Edited by RedHead (02/20/02 01:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNumba9
Veteran tripper
 User Gallery

Loc: State of "Euphoria"
Re: spawning worm castings with rye and millet [Re: RedHead]
    #556487 - 02/19/02 04:56 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Actually..... In my opinion ....horse..is "the shit' lol. Find some local stables in your town if you can. Get the older stuff ..drier...not the fresh warm green stuff. Horse shit has better consistency than worm.Worm poo can turn mud-like if you get it a hair to wet. Mix your colonized grain with the dung nad let her rip. Case with verm or 50/50 and watch the fatties appear :smile:

--------------------
Remember..what the Door Mouse said..."Feed your Head".......... Jefferson Airplane

OfflineRedHead
Re: spawning worm castings with rye and millet [Re: Numba9]
    #557469 - 02/20/02 12:50 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

what about sterilization? adding anything to castings?

OfflineNumba9
Veteran tripper
 User Gallery

Loc: State of "Euphoria"
    #557475 - 02/20/02 01:02 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Pre-dampen your worm poo and microwave on high for 10 minutes in a casserole dish with a lid. Just don`t get it TO wet squeeze till just a few drops come out. Let it cool completely and then crumble your cakes in with it. I use the microwave all the time and it works fine for me. beats the hell out of PCing for an hour. Same would go for horse-crap.. wet and squeeze and nuke.

--------------------
Remember..what the Door Mouse said..."Feed your Head".......... Jefferson Airplane

Edited by Numba9 (02/20/02 01:04 PM)

OfflineRedHead
    #557495 - 02/20/02 01:35 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

what if i put the moistened worm castings in a tupperware container with the lid on and microwaved it for 10 minutes? should i add any gypsum or oyster shell or anything to the castings?

OfflineRedHead
    #558531 - 02/21/02 12:36 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

well, i prepared and inocculated 12 quart jars. i took the jars out of the pressure cooker (one by one) as soon as it depressurized and shook them to dispurse the wetter grains from the bottom. the rye shook wonderfully, but the millet was much clumpier. it took much more shaking and banging on the counter before the big chunk that had sort of solidified at the bottom of the jars came loose and broke apart. even after intense shaking and baging some chunks of millet are still a pretty good size- is this going to be a problem? will the mycelium have a hard time colonizing these bigger chunks? i used b+, 2.5-3.5cc's per quart. i shook them again immediately after inocculation. i will shake them again after the first signs of growth.

i was wondering about the size of the bin and the relative amount of substrate to put in it (see first post). well, i filled the bin with 10qts of water and it was 3" deep- the total depth of the bin is about 10.5" so it comes a little less than 1/3 up the bin- should more be added to induce the enviroment i described above?

thanks for all responses- this is my first time with castings and spawning like this- hope all goes well.

red

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #558569 - 02/21/02 01:09 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Pre-dampen your worm poo and microwave on high for 10 minutes in a casserole dish with a lid.

Adding a little grated cheddar cheese on the top goes g-r-e-a-t!

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags