Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinephishphish2
Stranger
Psychedellics and Parkinson's
    #5559091 - 04/26/06 03:21 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

My friends biology book says something along the lines of:
"most psychedelics eat away at ur nervous system" and that "it eats away at the mylin " I can't find ANY studies online that say anything similar to this other than extacy.

Anyone have any links to refute/verify this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEvesApple
civillydisobedient
Female

Re: Psychedellics and Parkinson's [Re: phishphish2]
    #5559225 - 04/26/06 04:02 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Textbooks aren't to be trusted.

I have a psychology book that shows the webs of those classic spiders who were given various substances...the mangled web the spider on caffiene wove was attributed to the spider on LSD, and the perfect and beautiful web the spider on LSD *actually* wove wasn't even in the book.

Not that that really answers your question, but if you can't find any real evidence, don't buy it.

--------------------
Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream
It is not dying...It is not dying
Lay down all thought, surrender to the void
It is shining...It is shining
That you may see the meaning of within
It is being...It is being

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #5559232 - 04/26/06 04:05 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

It's not true.

I'd like to see this.

Offlinephantomstranger
Stranger

Re: Psychedellics and Parkinson's [Re: EvesApple]
    #5559239 - 04/26/06 04:08 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, my biology text i used this semester says this about mushrooms.

"Psilocybin is related to lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD). Ingestino of psychoactive mushrooms is dangerous because negative reactions vary considerably from mild indigestion, sweating, and heart palpitations, to death"

The worst part about it is that most people will almost instantly take it to heart as truth and believe that if you eat psilocybin mushrooms you will probably die.

--------------------

OfflineMuppet69_420
Speed feeder
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychedellics and Parkinson's [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #5559266 - 04/26/06 04:17 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Theres a lot of medical references on drugs on the web that just exaggerate or lie just to show the awful sides, but they really don't use the facts or other side, and in your situation "the true side". Theres only one right thing on a drugs entire definitional meaning and properties, and that side is the "truth" and there can only be one truth about the drug in general, nothing like for example: cocaine is bad and once taken for the first time you'll have a significant chance of death and no way of backing out from being addicted. Truth is exaggerated or not a true explanation what so ever, and this is called "propaganda" as you probably already know what it is.

Propaganda's Definition,

#1 Meaning: The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.

#2 Meaning: Material disseminated by the advocates or opponents of a doctrine or cause: wartime propaganda.

#3 Meaning: Propaganda Roman Catholic Church. A division of the Roman Curia that has authority in the matter of preaching the gospel, of establishing the Church in non-Christian countries, and of administering Church missions in territories where there is no properly organized hierarchy.

Really try to find a trusted and proving reliable source that doesn't feed people with such human bile such as the miss-Intel you viewed.

I remember DARE told me beer was 8 shots of whiskey, and what a load of bullshit that was.

They could've informed the class in a more organized way that was more reasonable. Such as beer contains 10% on average of alcohol and thats 20 proof. So whiskey consists of 40% on average, which is 80 proof. This would have sufficed and been more beneficial including being a correct way of teaching besides teaching meaningless dog shit knowledge thats only making an individual "stupid"  :stoned:. I really hate our governments perceptions and methods of informing the people and most of all the youth of the nation, they're just brainwashing our children's' way of thinking on such sensitive subjects that costs the governments million to billions and overly worried parents that convey the correct as the wrong and it just guides or forces ones way of thinking even more powerfully. Safe yourself from being changed/forced/lied into an American Idiot; ARM YOURSELF WITH KNOWLEDGE! EXTRA EXTRA! READ ONLY TRUTH! :smile: sorry had to express.

--------------------
Quote:

I live to learn and learn to live.

forget w/e was here b4 it was meth gibberish.... :meff: :rail2: :rail: ....thats as old as my account...

On that note fart in public and grin. :publicfart:

Hail Shroomery!

Edited by Muppet69_420 (04/26/06 04:26 PM)

OfflineNickSoapdish
Hypochondriac
Male

#5559289 - 04/26/06 04:28 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

wow, I can't believe the books they give you guys. Psychology books tend to be a little closer to truth regarding most drug effects. Phishphish, is this biology book a highschool level textbook?

My psychology textbooks never spouted such outrageously false information. One of them has no section regarding hallucinogens. The other has a small section stating that "Among the most prominent dangers of taking LSD is the possibility of experiencing a bad trip, which can sometimes develop into a full-blown panic attack and is far more likely to occur if some aspect of taking the drug creates anxiety... These panics are usually short-lived and subside after the drug is metabolized." Then it discusses "flashbacks" and clearly states, "There is no independant evidence of measurable neurological changes in these drug users."

The section on psilcybin does not list any effects at all, but only speaks about ancient cultures using psilocybe mushrooms.

So to answer your question, I don't know of any specific studies off hand regarding psychedellics and neural damage, I just assumed it was common knowledge that there is no causal correlation between the two. Even the most anti-drug minded textbooks I've seen have never stated anything about it, and many have stated that there is no evidence of any neurological changes directly caused by the use of psychedellics.

--------------------

Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Psychedellics and Parkinson's [Re: Muppet69_420]
    #5559292 - 04/26/06 04:28 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Ya, what your text book says is bullcrap.

It certainly messes with the functioning of your nervous system(your brain). Its called a psychedelic experience.

Things like lsd and mushrooms dont cause owsleys legions or anything like what that book of yours is trying to say

OfflineNickSoapdish
Hypochondriac
Male

Re: Psychedellics and Parkinson's [Re: stemmer]
    #5559323 - 04/26/06 04:39 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

stemmer said:
Things like lsd and mushrooms dont cause owsleys legions or anything like what that book of yours is trying to say

If you mean Olney's lesions, then that was hypothesized to be a result of DXM use, not mushrooms or LSD. Either way, it's unsubstantiated just as are most of the claims for psychedellics causing neural damage.

--------------------

Offlinephantomstranger
Stranger

#5559363 - 04/26/06 04:53 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Its a college test book it did go into a little detail saying how it has been and still is used by native and central american cultures in religious ceremonies but also mentioned that psilicybin mushrooms are illegal in the states. I just dont see what the author of that book had to gain by writing that psilicybin can kill you.

However in another section of the book about effects of drugs on a person the only side effects/dangers associated with abuse of LSD is "irrational behavior". I thought that was kinda funny seeing as how all the other drugs have like their own paragraphs.

--------------------

Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Psychedellics and Parkinson's [Re: NickSoapdish]
    #5559410 - 04/26/06 05:10 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Brandon said:
Quote:

stemmer said:

If you mean Olney's lesions, then that was hypothesized to be a result of DXM use, not mushrooms or LSD. Either way, it's unsubstantiated just as are most of the claims for psychedellics causing neural damage.

Ya sorry, my memory didnt work for me when I was spelling that.
You made my point, so thanks.

OfflineEvesApple
civillydisobedient
Female

Re: Psychedellics and Parkinson's [Re: NickSoapdish]
    #5559526 - 04/26/06 05:40 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Brandon said:
wow, I can't believe the books they give you guys. Psychology books tend to be a little closer to truth regarding most drug effects. Phishphish, is this biology book a highschool level textbook?

Said psychology book was a high school text. I should *hope* serious psychology books aren't full of such propaganda.

--------------------
Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream
It is not dying...It is not dying
Lay down all thought, surrender to the void
It is shining...It is shining
That you may see the meaning of within
It is being...It is being

Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Psychedellics and Parkinson's [Re: EvesApple]
    #5559577 - 04/26/06 05:52 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

College text books for the most part wont even go so far as to say hallucinogens have negative side effects besides mentioning "possible bad trip". I always liked the approach all my college textbooks have had on the subject. Except anthropology. The writers had no idea what they were talking about and had no respect for those who take the drugs. They tended to lean toward accentuating the somewhat "magical" or highly superstitious aspects of the drug as interpreted by those who use them. Which just painted the wrong picture even within the context of the peoples who used them.

OfflineNickSoapdish
Hypochondriac
Male

#5559735 - 04/26/06 06:29 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I guess you can expect that sort of shit in highschool, and even some introductory level college classes. When I was in higschool, I remember hearing all sorts of shit from teachers and textbooks about how dangerous psychedellics are, how they cause permanent damage, make you think you can fly and jump off a building, how you can go crazy from just one use and be stuck that way forever! I'm still not sure why they preach the things they do, I guess they actually believe it?

I've found that as you take higher level courses, especially those geared more towards scientific topics, the bullshit tends to get thinned out a little. They become more and more objective about taboo subjects such as drugs and their effects, as the authors tend to be more informed and concerned with actual existing, peer reviewed studies.

However, public education is still a government institution, and therefore one should always consider that the authors may have an agenda concerning such subjects. It's best to do your own research and compare it to the book's when in doubt.

--------------------

Offlinephishphish2
Stranger
    #5560605 - 04/26/06 09:54 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

It was in a college book.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies