Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsychdlcMes3
dirk
Male User Gallery

carrer in psychdelics
    #5543048 - 04/22/06 01:54 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

high i am verry interested in psychdelics and the effects of such chemicals in the brain for psychological purpuses and spiritual exploration...I know a bit information on these topics and i want to pursue them to the fullest extent.
Are there any groups or orginizations i can talk to? classes i could take? semminars i could attend? this maybee korny but i wanna be the person who makes the ultumit break threw in psychoactives chemicals. How do i get a foot in the door?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: carrer in psychdelics [Re: PsychdlcMes3]
    #5543068 - 04/22/06 02:16 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Read books by the people who know the most about them. Even the really "out there" types. If you want to find your one true god that will take some work, and your own self or ego will be the first thing you encounter fully(more than likely). There is no one who can tell you how to find anything. Its the mechanics of the mind and it can not be written in a book anyways, but some authors can give you some direction.

SOme people say they see god as some visual hallucination, and Im not talking about that. Its all about observing your own cognition and working with it until you are ready for something beyond your body and mind. For some people this never happens. For some it happens faster than with others.
If you want the ultimate without having too many spaces inbetween your teachings, then take a high dose when you do take these drugs.
LSD for me helped me to understand the teachings of all the hallucinogens that followed due to its unique ability to help to understand the ego, and the disintegration of this cognative element. LSD seems to be very hard on the ego, and will not allow you to loose it until you are ready to get into more interesting things, the more spiritual things.
AYahuasca, smoked dmt, and mushrooms are more of a streight shot out of a cannon into a place that is more foreign to you.

Good luck with your search. The greatest secrets come with a price, but one that once you have absorbed the information, its well worth it. It can change the way your brain works. Dont let any one fool you about that. Thats how it heals, and thats how it changes lives so drastically.

Edited by stemmer (04/22/06 02:18 AM)

OfflineOMniversal
A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Male

Loc: The Synaptic Cleft
Re: carrer in psychdelics [Re: stemmer]
    #5543147 - 04/22/06 03:32 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I am also interested in this subject and have thought of how to ground this interest in a certain field...I think reading about the subject by different authors helps alot...people like terence mckenna, timothy leary, micheal harner, ken wilber etc..show that psychedelics can be studied in many fields including psychology, ethnobotany, anthropology (shamanism), philosophy, etc.

I have a feeling this subject will eventually get more mainstream as it is gaining credibililty in the academic field again..where I live, I have heard that Terence Mckennas brother, Dennis, is forming some project on psilocybin mushrooms at the University of BC..so this could make things exciting in the future..and I hope to get involved..

--------------------
"We contemplate the same stars, the Heavens are common to us all, and the same world surrounds us. What matters the path of wisdom by which each person seeks the truth? One cannot reach such a great mystery by a single path." - Symmachus, challenging the violent persecution of pagans by Catholic Roman emperor Theodosius I

"When you look at yourself from a universal standpoint, something inside always reminds or informs you that there are bigger and better things to worry about."
-Einstein

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
    #5543154 - 04/22/06 03:40 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

PsychdlcMes3 said:
high i am verry interested in psychdelics and the effects of such chemicals in the brain for psychological purpuses and spiritual exploration...I know a bit information on these topics and i want to pursue them to the fullest extent.
Are there any groups or orginizations i can talk to? classes i could take? semminars i could attend? this maybee korny but i wanna be the person who makes the ultumit break threw in psychoactives chemicals. How do i get a foot in the door?

Study chemistry. Study chemistry as though chemicals are your lord and master.

When you're done studying chemistry on a given day, study a bit of math, and then study chemistry.

After studying chemistry, practice chemistry... and then study what you practiced.

Seriously though, it's very challenging to get to a level of understaning where a person can put forth a scientifically respectable new discovery in this sort of area. I'm a 1st year chemistry major, and a huge nerd to boot. Where has that gotten me? Nowhere, really. I know jack shit that isn't known by a lot of psychedellic connoisseurs

Also, I hate to be petty, but work on spelling and grammar. An unfortunate requirement for people's potential breakthroughs to be recognized is an ability to very professionally communicate it to others. I don't mean to be derisive, but that's an issue to think about.

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: carrer in psychdelics [Re: Konnrade]
    #5543165 - 04/22/06 03:58 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Oh kon-storm.......you do seem to be a bit petty sometimes.....
Where is the hefter site located these days.......I cant seem to find it. Thats weird.

MAth and philosophy is a big part of it all. Logic is key, if you have some hallucination and no reason to believe its true then dont believe it just yet. Further your goal is all.

Assimilate your psychedelic world with the more tangible world........

When you are talking to people on this web site. I wouldnt care too much about spelling. Even though there are a lot of ninnys around here who would like you to become as nerdy as they are.....

Nerd does not = Smart or well-rounded.

Chemistry is that guys major or some shit. I dont think that has as much to do with psychedelics as something like physics or streight-up math or logic.

Chemistry....hmmmm ya, thats one part of it. An understanding of many things including neurology are far more important than that which is your major, (chemistry). SOrry for the short hand....

Edited by stemmer (04/22/06 04:09 AM)

OfflineDadeMurphy
H4x0r

Re: carrer in psychdelics [Re: stemmer]
    #5543177 - 04/22/06 04:50 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

You won't get very far in any of those related biological sciences (pharmacology, toxicology, biochemistry, neuroscience etc.) without a good grounding in organic chemistry. I think chemistry is extremely relevant to the study of psychedelics from a scientific perspective. Shulgin would agree I think:
http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/shulgin/blg/2005/06/psychedelic-science-how-to-prepare.html

The thing about psychedelics is that they touch alot of fields. You could study them from a psychology or social sciences perspective, a historical or anthropological perspective, an artistic/musical perspective, religious or philosophical pov, botany etc.

I would say that, for the most part, physics and math have little to do with the subject...although these subjects can be pretty amazing and 'trippy' at times (fractals, quantum physics etc).

But ya chemistry is a good place to start.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------

Edited by DadeMurphy (04/22/06 05:02 AM)

InvisibleAcyl
cyanidepoisoning
Male User Gallery

Loc: N.W.T.
Re: carrer in psychdelics [Re: DadeMurphy]
    #5544459 - 04/22/06 03:45 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

chemistry, indeed.

--------------------
:scrambled:

1 ,2

InvisibleAcyl
cyanidepoisoning
Male User Gallery

Loc: N.W.T.
Re: carrer in psychdelics [Re: Acyl]
    #5544463 - 04/22/06 03:47 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

physics and math have a lot to do with the subject, and everything...

--------------------
:scrambled:

1 ,2

Offlineoblivia
Stranger
Re: carrer in psychdelics [Re: Acyl]
    #5544583 - 04/22/06 04:38 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

From your post I kinda get the idea you don't even know what kind of breakthrough you wanna make. Cheap mass-production of syntetic psilocin or figuring out the neuro-activity around this chemical. Those are two totally different directions. If I were you, I'd get more familiar with the subject to start with. Or else you are probably just going nowhere.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#5544631 - 04/22/06 05:00 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Psychedelics mean NOTHING without chemistry, because the psychedelic experience results from the interaction of the human brain with a chemical.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
Re: carrer in psychdelics [Re: Asante]
    #5544673 - 04/22/06 05:21 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

:geordinod:

The key to understanding psychedellics is understanding how they work. Understanding how they work requires an understanding of their chemistry, and some understanding of the chemicals of the human brain. If someone wants to discover new psychedellics, they need to understand chemistry, because discovering new drugs is a process best achieved by a chemist.

Those who would seek to advance understanding of the psychedellic experience itself can do without chemistry, but even then it can't hurt to have a good understanding of chem.

It really depends on what aspect of psychedellics that a person chooses to focus on. If they're interested in HOW they work, they need to know chemistry, and some psychology is a good idea too. If they want understand the actual experience they produce, then there are other sciences which become a necessity. I would assume those would be psychology or other social sciences.

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

Re: carrer in psychdelics [Re: Konnrade]
    #5544681 - 04/22/06 05:25 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

chemistry is never going to teach you about the allies or about the worlds they open you to.

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

OfflineGrok
Has Been a Bad Boy
 User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Re: carrer in psychdelics [Re: EquilibriuM]
    #5544759 - 04/22/06 05:51 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

A career in psychedelics is a far a hard dream.

If you are consdidering this, read "DMT: The spirit molecule" by Rick Strassman. He gives a very good picture about the difficulties involved with trying to make a profession out of studying psychedelics. Unfortunatly, you will probably be disappointed by the time you finish the book, due to the barriers that Strassman points out regaurding psychedelic research. But that is how things are right now.

Good luck!

--------------------
Entropy is increasing.
To send me a PM, go to my journal

Offlinepantsboy
I troll because I care.
Female User Gallery

Loc: 8====D ~o
    #5544764 - 04/22/06 05:54 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Give up now and become a plumber.

--------------------
Acid doesn't hurt when you're on fire. :frown:

"Mushrooms are only similar to penises in their appearance." - LeBron James (2013)

ToiletDuk said:
"Bus squelching is not to be laughed at."

OfflineUbecomewhatUhate
Stranger
Re: carrer in psychdelics [Re: pantsboy]
    #5544789 - 04/22/06 06:01 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I don't think there is a future career in psychedelics. I find psychedelics unnecessary. It's really about love. Psychedelics only give you another chance, at a cost. Why not get it right, the first time? Love. Or, do you prefer the alternative?

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: carrer in psychdelics [Re: UbecomewhatUhate]
    #5545197 - 04/22/06 08:11 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I would certainly suggest the route of formal education.

Contrary to what most people think, there is a lot of hallucinogen research going on. However, there is little going on in humans. If you were serious about research the process would be: graduating from college with good grades, then going to graduate school to work with a researcher in the area.

However, as most people have already said, you have posted a very broad question there are numerous routes that would fall under your heading of "careers in psychedelics".

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlinekeefboy
a friendly parkranger
Re: carrer in psychdelics [Re: UbecomewhatUhate]
    #5545729 - 04/22/06 10:32 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

UbecomewhatUhate said:
I don't think there is a future career in psychedelics. I find psychedelics unnecessary. It's really about love. Psychedelics only give you another chance, at a cost. Why not get it right, the first time? Love. Or, do you prefer the alternative?

sorry to respond to your first post negatively, but i must, because you are very wrong brother.

as much as most governments, including the one in the United States, may forbid research in the areas he might be looking at, there are places in the world where the laws allow for research.

#2. you come to a site called, "the shroomery" to tell us that psychedelics are unnecessary? are you planning on changing us all over or something? shrooms may not be necessary, but not too many things are besides food, water, and shelter. if you're talking about necessary to mental well being or to enlightenment, then you're absolutely right. however, the original poster never mentions what is necessary to people and what isn't he just wants to be involved in psychedelics or is looking for an easy career.

psychedelics is not an easy career, like others have mentioned. you may have to get an education and spend years doing that, then get some kind of a job to save up $$$ so you can move to where laws on research on these things are less restrictive.

also, who wants to be perfect and get everything right the first time?
how fun would that be, and how much of life would we appreciate if there weren't failures and second chances to get things right.

i can sit there and throw bullseyes at a dartboard all day long..... but i'd rather practice and get good so I can nail a few in a close game against somebody.

--------------------
"A friend of mine was famous for holding his hits until his face swelled up and turned bright red. The veins in his neck and forehead would bulge and he'd get bug-eyed. He'd start sweating. Then he'd belch the hit out violently, along with plenty of spit, and gasp for air." ~UBAKO

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies