Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Loc: Lazy River Road
XP 64 and cable modem problem
    #5529450 - 04/18/06 01:02 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, I just installed XP 64 and I cant get on the internet. :mad: I realize the usb drivers are probably not compatible, but then I read If I use an ethernet connection it should work???? Well, it doesnt. Any suggestions?

BTW, I've e-mailed Terayon (cable modem manufacturer) and asked if they have a 64 bit driver but of course they have not responded. :mad: :mad:

--------------------
Easily test the dosage of your tabs at home!:lsd:
qtests.org

Man says, "God, show me and I will believe." God says, "Believe and I will show you."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesupercollider
superconducting

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Waxahachie
Re: XP 64 and cable modem problem [Re: Aiko Aiko]
    #5529679 - 04/18/06 02:07 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

You shouldn't need a driver for the cable modem at all if you're connecting to it by ethernet. More likely this is a problem with your net card. Go into device manager by right-clicking "my computer," tab over to "hardware," and hit the device manager button. See if any components have the (!) symbol on them, signifying driver trouble.

--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Re: XP 64 and cable modem problem [Re: supercollider]
    #5529763 - 04/18/06 02:29 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I've checked all of that and its not showing anything wrong.
When I connect the usb, data is being recieved, but windows cant find the driver. With ethernet, device manager isnt even listing the modem, but its showing the ethernet adapter as working. The modem LED's are showing no data is being recieved?????

--------------------
qtests.org

Man says, "God, show me and I will believe." God says, "Believe and I will show you."

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #5529818 - 04/18/06 02:45 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Back up a bit for me please, and help me understand your physical hardware. How does the cable modem connect to your computer? Is it an external device that has an ethernet port that you connect to the ethernet port on your computer? Is it a card in your computer? Is it an external device that connects to your computer through a USB port? Until we understand for certain what the hardware looks like, it is difficult for us to help you debug the problem.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #5529845 - 04/18/06 02:55 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Back up a bit for me please, and help me understand your physical hardware. How does the cable modem connect to your computer? Is it an external device that has an ethernet port that you connect to the ethernet port on your computer? Is it a card in your computer? Is it an external device that connects to your computer through a USB port? Until we understand for certain what the hardware looks like, it is difficult for us to help you debug the problem.

Did some digging on Terayon and it looks as if it is an external device that supports both ethernet or USB connections into the computer. For now, lets assume drivers for the USB side don't work and play with the ethernet side only. Makes our lives easier.

Plug in the ethernet cable into both the modem and the computer. Do you get a link light? You might have to power cycle the cable modem after you make the connection while your computer is on. I have seen some really odd stuff happen with cable modems getting locked up after switching computers around.

If you get a link light, then there is most likely a good connection between your computer and the cable modem. Next, make sure your computer has valid ethernet card drivers for your ethernet device (which is unrelated to the Terayon device). You said windows is showing the ethernet adapter working, which sounds correct so far.

Next, we need to see if you are getting an IP address from the modem. Open a command window (start->run cmd) and type "ipconfig". Does it list out an IP address? Something like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x? If so, your computer is talking to the modem. If not, then either the computer is not set up for DHCP, the modem is not setup for DHCP, or the modem is not setup to use ethernet instead of USB.

When using ethernet, you should not see anything special for the modem in the device manager. Ethernet is generic as far as your computer is concerned... as long as your ethernet drivers are working for your ethernet adapter, any type of ethernet enabled device can talk with it. There are no additional drivers needed, just as you don't need drivers to talk to the shroomery's servers.

This might be as simple as a configuration problem within winblows. DHCP when you have a static IP or vice versa.

--------------------

OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

#5530207 - 04/18/06 04:58 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, its an external modem with usb and ethernet capabilities. When using Professional, I have my PC connected to the modem via usb. Never had any problems.

Now I have 64 and Professional dual booted. The modem works fine with Professional while using USB, but I cant connect at all via ethernet. When I have ethernet connected there is no "PC" LED on, only "Power" and "Cable", But while using USB with 64 all appropriate LED's are on including the blinking "Data" LED. Then windows cant find the driver. I assume its because its a 32 bit driver. So basically ethernet doesnt work on either OS's for some reason.
This is the modem

--------------------
qtests.org

Edited by Aiko Aiko (04/18/06 05:05 PM)

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #5530725 - 04/18/06 07:37 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

This is my guess... the device is configured to work with USB rather than ethernet. The USB side, when hooked up, shows data transfering... which it is... across the USB cable. However, because there are no valid USB drivers for the device, the system isn't able to do anything with the data it is given.

Again, this is a guess... however, if I am correct, you should be able to reconfigure the modem to work with ethernet rather than USB. It may default to this setup if no USB cable is connected, donno.

I don't have time now, but I will do some more digging for you tomorrow based on the link you provided. In the mean time, try hooking up via ethernet with the USB cable disconnected and see what happens.

--------------------

OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Re: XP 64 and cable modem problem [Re: Seuss]
    #5530807 - 04/18/06 07:56 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I have, nothing happens, no PC connection at all. I appreciate the help as always seuss.
Gobbs

--------------------
qtests.org

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #5532361 - 04/19/06 04:07 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Lets stick with the ethernet side again, assuming that USB drivers don't exist in the 64-bit world yet.

The first thing we need to do is ensure that there is "link" between the two devices (your computer and the cable modem). Usually, there are two LEDs on the ethernet port on your computer. One light will stay on solid to indicate link while the other light will blink as traffic flows across the wire.

Wow, the documentation for this thing sucks. It was written for a first grader, not for somebody that knows computers. Sheesh...

From what I can tell, the link light on the modem is labelled "PC" on the front of the modem and should turn solid green if there is ethernet link between your computer and the modem.

At this point, all we are trying to verify is that you have link. This means that the hardware can see each other properly, nothing more. It does not mean that you should be able to use the modem to surf the web. Almost all networking problem are with the wire... we are trying to isolate this as "not the problem".

If you do not get a solid green PC light (with USB unhooked and ethernet only), then there is most likely a wire problem. The instructions do not say what kind of cable you should have, patch or cross. (Probably uses a patch cable... this is most common these days.) Usually, no link means that you are using the incorrect cable type, or one of the two hardware devices (modem or ethernet adapter on computer) is broken.

Again, because we are trying to isolate a problem, always unhook the USB cable from the device when testing on the ethernet side. It shouldn't matter with your model of modem... but being safe takes one more unknown out of the picture. You might also consider removing the XP drivers for the modem on the 64-bit system just in case.

The lame instructions talk about an ethernet cable, though they don't bother to say which kind (cross or patch), is included with the modem. Is this the cable that you are using?

OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Re: XP 64 and cable modem problem [Re: Seuss]
    #5532447 - 04/19/06 05:29 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Yup, and the PC LED is not on on the modem. For some reason there are no LED's present on the backside of the PC either.

I'm pretty much convinced its the cable like you said. I did find a 64 bit driver for the ethernet adapter from the Intel site, so I installed that. Even though that wont help on the Professional side, at least when I buy my new cable tonight I know that variable is eliminated (in theory) on the 64 side.

Thanx for all the help man, I'll let you know how it turns out this evening

--------------------
qtests.org

OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

#5534684 - 04/19/06 06:23 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Well, it turns out the RJ 45 port on the modem is shot. After buying a new cable today, I was wiggling it a little and I noticed I briefly got a connection, but as soon as I let go it would drop. Then I checked my old cable, and of course it did the same thing. So I ended up buying a cable I didn't need and tomorrow I get to go exchange the modem with the cable company for a good one.  Oh yeah, I checked on 64 and it worked the same way, so at least I know with a new modem everything will be gravy.  :grin: :gd_icon:

--------------------
qtests.org

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #5534971 - 04/19/06 07:25 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Cool.  Take your cable back and get a refund!  :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale