Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

My primary computer has made "just say no" its motto (please help!)
    #5518117 - 04/15/06 06:24 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

My computer has made "just say no" its motto, rejecting all sorts of hardware.

-when you reboot you can't boot from disk because on startup the drives are not recognised. They (CD-RW + DVD-RW) work perfectly once the installed OS is running though.

-My RAID 1 backup HDD is no longer recognised ("degraded")

-Occasionally I'm tossed offline (cable modem not recognised perhaps?) and then only a reboot helps. But! If I reboot during these occasions (and only then) the windows shutdown procedure hangs just shy of turning off the computer: the drives are no longer used, but it doesnt shut off either: I have to use the on/off button to put it out of its misery because it won't go either way.

These might be unrelated problems but to me they seem related because they all revolve around the puter failing to recognise hardware.

I use Windows XP Home/SP2  :blush:

Can someone help me out here, I bet one of you can help me beyond "get a real OS" and "never buy Dell", both of which are true :wink:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
Re: My primary computer has made "just say no" its motto (please help!) [Re: Asante]
    #5518284 - 04/15/06 08:44 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

go into your bios and change your boot order so that your cd-rom drive is 1st.

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: My primary computer has made "just say no" its motto (please help!) [Re: Asante]
    #5518605 - 04/15/06 10:58 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

hmmmm

do you have the latest bios?

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#5518649 - 04/15/06 11:10 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

The plot thickens...

Quote:

-when you reboot you can't boot from disk because on startup the drives are not recognised. They (CD-RW + DVD-RW) work perfectly once the installed OS is running though.

This one was remedied by the change in boot sequence, strange how it could be the other way around by default.. Thanks a lot for that one.

Quote:

-Occasionally I'm tossed offline (cable modem not recognised perhaps?) and then only a reboot helps. But! If I reboot during these occasions (and only then) the windows shutdown procedure hangs just shy of turning off the computer: the drives are no longer used, but it doesnt shut off either: I have to use the on/off button to put it out of its misery because it won't go either way.

This exact same thing just happened with knoppix :shocked:
The computer lay dead as a beached whale between "sending the KILL signal" and whatever would be next.

As for BIOS, its as new as the machine it came in, methinks :confused:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #5518877 - 04/15/06 12:11 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

You should check that out. Hardware updates are always around even with new hardware. The DFI board I just baught is fairly new and there were many updates for it.

do you use on-board LAN or a LAN card?

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#5519470 - 04/15/06 09:46 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

can you elaborate when you say ("degraded") in reference to your hard drive? when you go into device manager (in your control panel, system, hardware), do you see a listing for all your hard drives? perhaps one of them is disabled, has a conflict? if so, in likelihood, you could just delete it from your device manager and upon reboot it will reinstall the driver and reconfigure it correctly.

--------------------

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: My primary computer has made "just say no" its motto (please help!) [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #5520464 - 04/16/06 09:06 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Hurrah, I got my RAID system to work again (thanks a lot)

I decided to go in denial and mark the "Defective" HDD as "Functional".
I did nothing to remedy the problem, whatever it was, but immediately the disk began spinning and restored its function as a RAID backup disk.

WTF.. It apparently was "defective" because it *said* it was defective.. Mebbe some software spasm flipped that switch.. :confused:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Edited by Asante (04/16/06 09:14 AM)

InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

#5532384 - 04/19/06 04:28 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Aye, could very well be, I've never seen "defective/functional" options so much as "enabled/disabled".

As for your other problem with the cable modem, when you're kicked offline does the connection light on the cable modem go out or flash abnormally? This information will help determine whether it's the cable connection or the computer that's misbehaving.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order