Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePapa_Smurf

consequences of growing on contaminated substrate?
    #549553 - 02/12/02 11:54 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

FOAF had about 5 cakes that looked contaminated, there was a strong orange tint to the myceleum, but most of the cakes were colonized. He cased it just for the hell of it, and yada yada yada he now has shrooms from it and they develped just the same as all the other casings. What, if anything, can happen if these are consumed?

--------------------
"Only after you have lost everything, are you free to do anything"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePuNK420

Loc: South Western Ontario, Ca...
Re: consequences of growing on contaminated substrate? [Re: Papa_Smurf]
    #549761 - 02/13/02 06:55 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Uhhh ... Death could happen if consumed.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace
    #549853 - 02/13/02 09:07 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Well its possible for you or maybe one yer buddies to have a allergic reaction to the toxins the mold or bacteria could of created. Could be a mild reaction and it also could be deadly.

Your life you decisions.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #549950 - 02/13/02 10:44 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Was this P. Cubensis or Mexicana? I _think_ (been too long since I looked at pictures, and I don't have references handy to check) that Mexicana mycelium has an orangish tint to it. Any experts around that can confirm or flame this?

Remember, that a mushroom is like a giant sponge and the mycelium connected to the mushroom is like a giant straw. If there are any toxins from contamination in the substrate or casing, it can get sucked up into the fruitbody by the mycelium for your consumption.

Even if the mycelium overtakes the contamination the excess chemicals that the mycelium produced to kill the contamination can make some people sick.

Your health, your choice.
My health, I take no chances.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisiblePapa_Smurf

Re: consequences of growing on contaminated substr [Re: Seuss]
    #549980 - 02/13/02 11:27 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

they were mexicana actually. The myceleum didn't smell like anything it shouldn't (this was after sniffing it for about 10 minutes, and about 1/2 to 3/4 the cakes were like that). So that might be a possibility.

The thing that confuses me is this. I understand that there is bacteria and such in the cake and it is shared with the myceleum, but when the shroom starts to grow, isn't it getting all of its nutrition from the myceleum, after all - bacteria doesnt come in the form of shrooms, so how would bacteria get into the actual mushroom? Is there any reading I can do on this, I am curious?

--------------------

Edited by Papa_Smurf (02/13/02 11:37 AM)

InvisibleAzulAgave
    #549999 - 02/13/02 11:54 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I thought a yellowish orange tint in the mycelium was normal and due to too much water content in the substrate. I think the orange is just a sign that the mycelium is beginning to rot.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: consequences of growing on contaminated substr [Re: Papa_Smurf]
    #550109 - 02/13/02 01:26 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Bacteria, like any living thing, secrete waste products. Often, bacterial waste is toxic and water soluable. You have two worries. One is that the bacteria will spread along the mycelium, eventually reaching the fruitbody, infecting it. The second is that the bacteria release toxins which the mycelium absorb and transfer to the fruitbody.

Not all mycelium is white or looks the same. It depends on the species of mushroom. P. Cubensis is white and ropey. Mexicana I think is whitish orange and fairly whispy. Here is an image I found of mexicana on agar. Note the orange:

My guess is that you are probably fine.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisiblePapa_Smurf

Re: consequences of growing on contaminated substr [Re: Seuss]
    #550217 - 02/13/02 02:55 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

my guess is that you are the man. Thanks all for replies

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds