Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

class speech (need all the help i can get)
    #5481384 - 04/05/06 12:55 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

alright...hears the deal.

I have a sociology speech coming up.  Its a 5min speech on our thesis proposal.  The thing is.. i have never given more then a 2min speech in front of the class. (even that went bad.) 

I'm fine when it comes to one on one talking.. but talking in a large group..  i get really self conscious...my mind freezes up...get shaky..light headed..  the whole works. 

I find myself starting to analyze my voice/what I'm saying instead of concentrating on the speech. 

I could miss speech day.. but i truly want to conquer this piece of shit phobia.  At the same time.. i dont feel like going up in front of the class and getting owned.  :frown:

SO..  I need any help/prior experience  to get me through this with ego/self esteem in tact.  :smile: 

Thanks guys.  :cool:

--------------------
Shroomery Composition Contest

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

Re: class speech (need all the help i can get) [Re: Toddo]
    #5481485 - 04/05/06 02:01 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Practice, practice, practice. Have a complete mastery of what you are going to say so you are never searching for words. Know your shit inside and out, this is the most important thing. And this isn't just knowing the facts this is knowing your exact presentation point by point. Personally I like taking half hour showers and going over my presentation 5 or 6 times tweaking it each time till it is second nature.

When I am making my speech I try to pick spots at the back of the room to focus on, that way you avoid eye contact (which can screw people up) and your head isn't burried in your notes. Speak slow and don't rush it.

Being nervous dosn't detract from a presentation, not knowing your shit does.

OfflineImperialCactus
Stranger

#5481493 - 04/05/06 02:06 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

This might not help very much, since I get the impression everyone I mention this to thinks it's kinda messed up... but it's what I used to do and I think it helped me a bit. Pretty simple really, I would just take notice of everyone else's mistakes, and realize that no one is perfect. Some people were much worse off then I was, and others much better. But we all had our quirks and made little mistakes, just part of being human.

Now, when you do this, don't focus on the fact that everyone else is doing the same thing to you... because even if they are honestly it doesn't matter what they think. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and public speaking isn't easy for a lot of people. Besides, I have my suspicions that most people don't even pay all that much attention to begin with.

Just make sure that you are well prepared. Giving the speech in front of a mirror a few times may help. And I think it also helps to look over the room, but not directly at anyone. Except maybe for your instructor every so often, if your in a good position to do so. Good luck with your speech, and remember that since you'll probably be nervous, things will seem much worse than they really are.

Invisibleasd11
final sky

#5481524 - 04/05/06 02:37 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Speak more slowly. I find generally that no matter how slowly I think I'm speaking when giving a presentation, I could do with speaking a little more slowly.

Practice. If you know your material, presenting it should be straightforward. If you have a fixed time limit, you really need to practice to ensure you don't go way too long or way too short.

InvisibleThin White Duke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #5481925 - 04/05/06 08:21 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I'm just like you. I get so scared having to do presentations in front of people it's a joke. I even messed up my school grades a couple of years ago because I just kept weaseling out of doing the presentation.

A few months back, I had to do one in college. This wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined. Try to remember that the class isn't focusing on YOU directly, but rather what you are saying. Take a deep breath after every few sentences, and the time will fly by before you know it. Deep breaths.

Invisiblepeepeepottypants
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5481984 - 04/05/06 08:43 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

goodness, I know the feeling, this was me a week ago.

practice is by far one of the best cures. look the people in the face who appear most interested (they may help you feel more confident). And in the moments before you are supose to do it, just dont think about it. Ive noticed when I try to mentally prep myself right before I'm about to speak my entire body and mind turn to anxiety. If there is anyway you can set up doing such a thing without knowing EXACTLY when your going it may be helpful.

good luck, take your time, and breath

you CAN do it!

Edited by peepeepottypants (04/05/06 08:43 AM)

OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

#5485873 - 04/06/06 09:40 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

valium was a godsent when i had to take a public communications class :smile:

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order