Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinekungpow
SeasonedPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: AaAaAaAa
SLR Macro
    #5470324 - 04/02/06 08:59 AM (18 years, 23 hours ago)

I am thinking of purchasing a Nikon D50 digital SLR camera and I am wondering what a good macro lens would be. I will like to keep it on the low end of the budget. I am pretty new to photography so I don't know too much. Can anyone hook me up?

Thanks

~Peace Out

--------------------
Monotub #3 - check out my best grow to date!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
Re: SLR Macro [Re: kungpow]
    #5470336 - 04/02/06 09:12 AM (18 years, 23 hours ago)

mm.. i got a canon d50.. wish i could help u out. DO hat I did... just look on ebay searching for your model camera plus MACRO. I'm looking for a telephoto for my canon and that's how i narrowed it down to either canon or sigma.

OfflineBowers
Bobba Ganoosh
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CA
    #5470356 - 04/02/06 09:25 AM (18 years, 23 hours ago)

I am into photography myself. Though I do not have the funds to purchase the digital SLR just yet. But I want the Canon digital Rebel. It has dropped in price but it is still over $1000. I would definately say hit up ebay for the right lens for your camera. Right now for SLR photography I still use my old Canon AE-1. It takes incredible quality shots. I would still like to purchase a tele-photo and macro lens for it as well.. also a large zoom lens.

OfflineAkamatsu
Seeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Australia
Re: SLR Macro [Re: Bowers]
    #5470436 - 04/02/06 10:19 AM (18 years, 22 hours ago)

Do you really think you need an SLR? The macro abilities of some of the pro-sumer cameras currently available are more then adequate for taking close ups of mushrooms, and are going to be much easier to use then a DSLR for someone who's new to photography.

Have a look at the Canon Powershot S2 IS. 5mp, super macro mode that lets you shoot at 0cm and it's got an image stabilising lens. If all you want to do is take good pictures of your grow log, and maybe a few high quality happy snaps, this would be a better choice then an expensive and bulky SLR. Read the full review in that link, there isn't much this camera won't do compared to a DSLR. Have a look here and here, these were taken with a Panasonic FZ20, the S2 IS is going to produce even better images then these if you know how to use it.

If you're really keen to get into photography and think the purchase of a DSLR would be worth while, then I suggest the Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX Macro which you can get for $249 from Adorama.

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: SLR Macro [Re: Akamatsu]
    #5470442 - 04/02/06 10:25 AM (18 years, 22 hours ago)

Check out both the D70 and D50, my best friend Kasey has the D70. I however have a Pentax *ist D. If you're going for a macro, I'd say the best would be a 50mm 1:1 ratio Macro. I went with a 180mm 1:1 ratio macro, and find that it's only really useful for insects and such. I can't get much going for tight areas either because I have to be so far away from the object to get the entire thing in the lens, unless I'm looking for super closeups.

If you buy anything from Sigma, make sure it's the EX lens, they have very good glass in their EX series. (Sigma is compatible with Nikon, Canon, Pentax, and other major brands of cameras).

One thing to keep in mind, invest in glass, not the camera body. Your MAIN focus should always go towards what glass you want to use, as in the end, you'll be investing a far greater amount of money in glass than you will the body of the camera. Nikon and Pentax have preferable clarity in my opinion.

OfflineFruitboot
Stranger
Re: SLR Macro [Re: Maverick]
    #5470486 - 04/02/06 10:47 AM (18 years, 21 hours ago)

Yep, your camera is only as good as the glass you put on it. Don't buy cheap lenses, you'll regret it. I've heard really good things about the Nikon 60mm 2.8 Macro lens. You can get it at B and H, which I highly recommend, for under $400. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controll...egoryNavigation

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
Re: SLR Macro [Re: BrAiN]
    #5470686 - 04/02/06 12:37 PM (18 years, 20 hours ago)

Quote:

geokills_rocks said:
mm.. i got a canon d50.. wish i could help u out. DO hat I did... just look on ebay searching for your model camera plus MACRO. I'm looking for a telephoto for my canon and that's how i narrowed it down to either canon or sigma.

oops i meant rebel xt digital

and yea you do need a good lense

slr is the only way to go if you want total control man

OfflineBowers
Bobba Ganoosh
Female User Gallery

#5470785 - 04/02/06 01:20 PM (18 years, 19 hours ago)

Quote:

Akamatsu said:
Do you really think you need an SLR? The macro abilities of some of the pro-sumer cameras currently available are more then adequate for taking close ups of mushrooms, and are going to be much easier to use then a DSLR for someone who's new to photography.

Have a look at the Canon Powershot S2 IS. 5mp, super macro mode that lets you shoot at 0cm and it's got an image stabilising lens. If all you want to do is take good pictures of your grow log, and maybe a few high quality happy snaps, this would be a better choice then an expensive and bulky SLR. Read the full review in that link, there isn't much this camera won't do compared to a DSLR. Have a look here and here, these were taken with a Panasonic FZ20, the S2 IS is going to produce even better images then these if you know how to use it.

If you're really keen to get into photography and think the purchase of a DSLR would be worth while, then I suggest the Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX Macro which you can get for $249 from Adorama.

I actually work in a photo lab and know all about the Canon PS S2 IS. I was actually saving up for that camer but decided if I was going to spend that much on a good digital camera I was gonna hold out and get the digtal rebel. The only down fall of the S2 is that it is only a 5 megapixal. I know a lot of ppl will say that ppl put too much thought into pixals, but a camera like that should have one or two more to make the bulkiness of it worth while. My boss is going to let me borrow hers sometime.

OfflineAkamatsu
Seeker
 User Gallery
    #5472524 - 04/02/06 09:56 PM (18 years, 10 hours ago)

Quote:

Bowers said:
I actually work in a photo lab and know all about the Canon PS S2 IS. I was actually saving up for that camer but decided if I was going to spend that much on a good digital camera I was gonna hold out and get the digtal rebel. The only down fall of the S2 is that it is only a 5 megapixal. I know a lot of ppl will say that ppl put too much thought into pixals, but a camera like that should have one or two more to make the bulkiness of it worth while. My boss is going to let me borrow hers sometime.

Don't be fooled by pixels, more pixels doesn?t always mean a better image. After about 3mp, the quality of the lens and the physical size of the sensor has a much greater impact on image quality then the overall pixel count (take the Nikon D2H for example). It does make a different if you plan to print out monster A0 images, but I doubt the average user would be printing out anything more then A3, in which case 5mp with a decent lens is more then adequate. And if it?s mainly for posting pics on the net, all those pixels will go to waste anyway.

OfflineBowers
Bobba Ganoosh
Female User Gallery

#5472530 - 04/02/06 09:59 PM (18 years, 10 hours ago)

this is true. But do you really think a 5MP camera can can do crisp poster size prints (16x20)? I mean crystal clear?

OfflineAkamatsu
Seeker
 User Gallery
    #5472831 - 04/02/06 11:34 PM (18 years, 9 hours ago)

Quote:

Bowers said:
this is true. But do you really think a 5MP camera can can do crisp poster size prints (16x20)? I mean crystal clear?

Nope, but I don't think a camera with an 8mp sensor and the same lens could do one either. I've had decent results with a Panasonic FZ20, but I wouldn't call them crystal clear. For that you really would need an DSLR with a good quality lens. That's all irrelevant if you never plan to print any photos at that size though, and how many users would actually need to print out 16x20 with perfect clarity?

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

#5472913 - 04/02/06 11:49 PM (18 years, 8 hours ago)

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

Edited by TheDude (04/03/06 02:26 AM)

Offlinearray
diehard confederate
Female User Gallery

Loc: ya moms trailer park
    #5473023 - 04/03/06 12:17 AM (18 years, 8 hours ago)

What kind of stuff are you trying to photograph, mushrooms or something?

--------------------

OfflineBowers
Bobba Ganoosh
Female User Gallery

Re: SLR Macro [Re: array]
    #5476250 - 04/03/06 07:38 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Beautiful shot Array! as for your question.. I want to print some 16x20 shots for my apartment. I am not into paintings, just photographys, and would like it to be one of my own prints. Even a 16x20 is not THAT big really.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies