Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineyewhew
Dead in Eternity

Loc: Ontario, Canada
what quantum mechanics means to you
    #5466102 - 04/01/06 01:03 AM (18 years, 2 days ago)

Does quantum mechanics tell us that the universe is the unfolding of all possible, deterministic states ("indeterministic" in a sense) and has science discovered the physical system where reality branches off? Some interpretations of quantum mechanics say that the branches are only known once they have entered the conscious domain of an experiencer.

You exist in your current universe because of a sequence of events whose reality is only statistically determined. The other branches have equal likelihood of being realized and some interpretations of quantum mechanics show that if light behaves like a wave when its position is unobserved, it can be thought of as all possible trajectories existing simultaneously. Thus the unobserved universe exists in a superposition state.

Am I in a superposition state in your universe?

--------------------

Edited by yewhew (04/01/06 01:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: yewhew]
    #5466136 - 04/01/06 01:16 AM (18 years, 2 days ago)

Quantam mechanics doesn't mean much of anything to me. It has been stated that, unless you understand the underlying mathematics of quantam mechanics, you don't really have much comprehension of what quantam mechanics is. Any way of describing quantam mechanics without the accompanying mathematics is more in line with metaphors to convey general notions.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: fireworks_god]
    #5466148 - 04/01/06 01:19 AM (18 years, 2 days ago)

So you are saying you don't understand the math?

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: zorbman]
    #5466167 - 04/01/06 01:27 AM (18 years, 2 days ago)

Exactly. I am not personally adept in mathematics in general, certainly not the mathematics responsible for quantam mechanics; thus, quantam mechanics does not mean much of anything to me (as I stated). :grin:

I'm glad to see that someone here is capable of following through with basic logic to reach a conclusion. "If an understanding of the mathematics behind quantam mechanics is necessary in order to actually know what quantam mechanics is, and I have stated that quantam mechanics doesn't mean much of anything to me, then I..." :lol:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#5466175 - 04/01/06 01:28 AM (18 years, 2 days ago)

You do the math.  :grin:

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #5466916 - 04/01/06 09:53 AM (18 years, 1 day ago)

"you can 'only' be here , because you are everywhere.."
-Unknown...

I would say, Yes & No! .. :wink::thumbup:

"Everywhere, IS now, here!"
-Unknown :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #5467137 - 04/01/06 11:17 AM (18 years, 1 day ago)

"I think I can safely say that no one understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman  :smirk:

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #5467158 - 04/01/06 11:25 AM (18 years, 1 day ago)

"Quantum mechanics" are the guys that pop the hoods of quantums, and fix them....

Right....?

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineImNtCrzy
Strangest
 User Gallery
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #5467205 - 04/01/06 11:40 AM (18 years, 1 day ago)

I can definately say that I don't have a grasp on quantum mechanic, most people don't, but there are physicists and researchers around the world learning a bit more everyday, things like matter in its bassest form is a particle and a wave... defies pervious notions of science.

So the one definate thing I can say about quantum mechanics to me is that it shows me and most people that reality is far more than what we think it is and we have yet to comprehend even the scope of it.

--------------------
everything is the button

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: ImNtCrzy]
    #5467434 - 04/01/06 12:46 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

I dont think you need to know the math in order to understand the concepts of QM. I have read a couple books on it and I have hung in discussions about QM/QP with college students who actually have studied the math. Granted I havent had a highball with Feynman and told him how ridiculous his many worlds theory is, but I like to think I have a more advanced grasp on QP/QM than your average person.

Take the Young Slit experiment, besides having the coolest name for an experiment, there is no math involved whatsoever, it is simply using previously stated and known laws of how waves act and the observation of observation of events.
Of course it can all be represented in a mathematical function, but so can Schrodingers cat, which is also just using a little logic and entanglement.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #5467728 - 04/01/06 02:25 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

I think that QM/QP just lets us know that what we thought was real....really isn't.
And what we thought was not real....is just as real as what we thought was real.

That our life is really just a creation of our own imagination.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
    #5467754 - 04/01/06 02:31 PM (18 years, 1 day ago)

quantum mechanics was cool til i had to take a class on it

now its just a ton of calculus that is somehow supposed to relate to a bunch of abstract ideas and wave functions and eigen functions and to be honest, i just cant connect the math to what is actually happening

and even the non math part doesnt really make any sense to me...how can it go from one level to another without ever being in between them?

How can there be zero nodes in the particle in the box wave, so it cant exist at one point, but can exist at points on either side of the node? How does it get from the first part to the second without crossing that node??

oh man and thats just like the very beginning of the things that make no sense to me regarding that subject

so yea....i just dont get it  :confused:

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

OfflineFospher
Crime FightingMaster Criminal
Male

Loc: The Netherlands
    #5471541 - 04/02/06 05:33 PM (18 years, 14 hours ago)

Quantum Mechanics is the true definition of chaos.

There is absolutely no predictability of where a quark will end up next in the subatomic realm - you can know it's velocity and position - but never both at the same time. And since these quarks do not have a solid structure, it is possible a quark from another packet of energy (a proton, neutron, electron) to transfer to another. Thusforth, it is possible that a solid object can pass through another without damaging either.

Another interesting factor is the relativity between the microscopic and the macroscopic realms. There's a very fine line between the two. While the movement of your hand is a large event in the subatomic realm, hence all the quarks have just moved a very great distance, in the big picture of the Milky Way, pretty much nothing has happened. And in the prospect of the universe, the Milky Way is the size of an atom, and is minimalistic. Yet, to us, just like the quarks relate existence in our hand, it is unfathomably big.

--------------------
010001100100001001000101!

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: Fospher]
    #5471549 - 04/02/06 05:36 PM (18 years, 14 hours ago)

I was following you up to the point of THUSFORTH.

I cant take anyone seriously who uses the word Thusforth.... is it even a word?

OfflineFospher
Male

#5471570 - 04/02/06 05:42 PM (18 years, 14 hours ago)

I dont care.

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #5471608 - 04/02/06 05:52 PM (18 years, 14 hours ago)

Im just saying, you had credibility up to that point, henceforth the second paragraph was read in jest hitherto the nonsensical word, thus the aforementioned topic hurt your arguments.

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #5471676 - 04/02/06 06:08 PM (18 years, 13 hours ago)

Quote:

Fospher said:
Quantum Mechanics is the true definition of chaos.

There is absolutely no predictability of where a quark will end up next in the subatomic realm - you can know it's velocity and position - but never both at the same time.

No, QM shows that there is only predictability in the quantum world. Not that there isn't any at all. On the contrary - we can predict things in the quantum world to a very high degree.

What QM suggests is that our concept of something being in a well-defined and specific position does not work on the quantum level. It's not that we can't predict exactly where a particle is or how it is moving...the particle just isn't anywhere "exact", nor is it moving in any "exact" direction. The particle is probably in a certain location (or a certain set of locations) and is probably moving along a certain vector.

In fact our entire idea of "particles" is probably outdated and entirely wrong. Electrons and such are not tiny balls of anything. Though I doubt any human can say exactly what they are, I would tend to think of them more like waves than the classical idea of a "particle". Not exactly waves - like water waves - though...more like discreet packets of wave-like geometries. This, I think, is where the problem of defining exact location/velocity in the quantum world comes into being - because such concepts simply don't exist on such small scales.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineFospher
Male

#5471684 - 04/02/06 06:10 PM (18 years, 13 hours ago)

So one grammatical error voided the whole validity of my argument, even though you knew exactly what I'm talking about? Maybe you should find a spelling nazi forum to post in kid, I'm here to discuss philosophy, not get my papers graded in an English class.

--------------------

OfflineFospher
Male

Re: what quantum mechanics means to you [Re: trendal]
    #5471701 - 04/02/06 06:14 PM (18 years, 13 hours ago)

Are you saying you can predict the movement of quarks in the subatomic realm?

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #5471718 - 04/02/06 06:19 PM (18 years, 13 hours ago)

Quote:

Fospher said:
So one grammatical error voided the whole validity of my argument, even though you knew exactly what I'm talking about? Maybe you should find a spelling nazi forum to post in kid, I'm here to discuss philosophy, not get my papers graded in an English class.

jeez, calm down, take a joke.

on the other hand.... your grasp on QM, and your argument so far seemed based solely on one viewing of "The Elegant Universe".

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom